Forums are back in action! ×

Preparing for Awesomeness

Howdy all! Thrilled to be here and join the party.

About Me...

I turned 30 shortly after 9/11 and decided I wanted to re-invent myself. I went back to school and, although I failed calculus two times before returning, earned an applied math degree from an engineering college. Woot! However, it took me a long time since I had to start from scratch, I worked full time for most of that time, and it was hard (for me). I was joking recently about how crap my GPA was compared to other graduates because everyone else who did as badly as I didn't typically stick with the program (-WIS, +bull-headed stubbornness). While I was in school I kind of lost my way in every other aspect of my life (taking care of myself and my relationships with others). Now, in my 40's, I'm trying to find my way back to a more balanced life and start leveling up in rl (instead of school or WoW or Diablo or Bard's Tale or Might & Magic - you get the point).

Fitness Goals...

Yeah, I need to slim down (100 lb), but I'm focusing more on preparing myself for awesomeness! A couple years ago I lost 60 lb, so I know I can do this. I plateaued and didn't know how to kick into the next gear (if only I had found NF then!!). This year has been not good (gained almost 30 lb), but I'm getting back on track with a sensible meal plan (already lost 10 lb of the backslide). There's so much I want to do that is currently a struggle. I want to learn how to ride a horse (well), join a Masters swimming team, try open water racing, kayak around the Bay, snorkel in the Red Sea, skydive, etc. However, right now I need to build myself up to all that awesomeness. So, I'm taking my handy-dandy Level 1 Rookie workouts to the YMCA and working up a sweat.

My level 50...

My skillset: certified scuba diver, Masters swimmer, competent in multiple martial arts (and weapons), conversational Mandarin and Spanish, accomplished horsewoman and marksman, can pick a lock, know morse code, and can run in 4 inch heels like a boss. For fun I have annual scuba/snorkeling trips all over the world and go on roadtrips throughout the Americas with a teardrop trailer. At my peaceful and chaos-free home I cultivate most of my own food (a garden, chickens, goats, and rabbits). I share riding shotgun with a sweet and goofy partner.

Nerd Cred...

Honestly, I hate the idea of 'cred', but I'll go along to show I'm amongst my people. Also, I prefer Geek over Nerd, but no matter. My Doctor is Tom Baker. Han shot first. XYZZY (I was getting stuck in twisting passages that all look the same until the wee hours of the morning as a wee lass). I'm embarrassed at how many level 80s I have in WoW (and no, I'm probably not getting MoP). Women who pull their braids when they're annoyed are tiresome. And, finally, when oh when, will Dany (ever) get out of the desert.

Hope to see you all around for weeks/months/years? to come!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Miz Ibbli-Bibbli-Boo

Level 1 | Selkie Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 2 | CHA 4

Fitocracy | Battle Log | Challenge

I force myself to laugh at everything, for fear of having to cry. ~ Pierre de Beaumarchais

Great goals. Good luck on the upcoming challenge!

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Welcome! Glad you're "Joining the Party" :) Sounds like you're on the right track with your eating habits (10lbs...woot). There is a lot of information on this site about bettering your diet. There's a whole section called "General Diet and Nutrition". As I was told my first day here "Use the search tool" it's super easy and a great way to find exactly what you're looking for.

Sounds like you've got some awesome goals. With some hard work, a lot of sweat, blood, tears...more hard work (Rinse & Repeat as necessary), you'll find yourself meeting them sooner than you think. :eagerness:

I look forward to seeing you around the boards!

Good luck! Believe it or not, your first post was inspirational to me because I hope I am able to take trips like that when I am older. It seems like you are able to have fun and enjoy life, take care!

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

I'm glad,but I think there's been some confusion. When I talk about lvl 50 (and travel, etc.), I'm referring to this entry about leveling up by Steve K. Unfortunately, I'm not really enjoying life right now because I feel trapped. Last winter I went snorkeling for the first time (!) in Hawaii and it was very hard traipsing around in public in a swimsuit, acting like I belonged there with all the 'normal' people. It was probably one of the best experiences (my first day I saw a sea turtle!) I've ever had, but it was also very difficult. I want to change that. I want to move more comfortably. I want to be able to run. Forget that, I want to be able to fly! No worries about doing stuff when you get older - the secret is that you don't feel older: it's a blessing and a curse.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Miz Ibbli-Bibbli-Boo

Level 1 | Selkie Adventurer

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 2 | CHA 4

Fitocracy | Battle Log | Challenge

I force myself to laugh at everything, for fear of having to cry. ~ Pierre de Beaumarchais

I'm glad,but I think there's been some confusion. When I talk about lvl 50 (and travel, etc.), I'm referring to this entry about leveling up by Steve K. Unfortunately, I'm not really enjoying life right now because I feel trapped. Last winter I went snorkeling for the first time (!) in Hawaii and it was very hard traipsing around in public in a swimsuit, acting like I belonged there with all the 'normal' people. It was probably one of the best experiences (my first day I saw a sea turtle!) I've ever had, but it was also very difficult. I want to change that. I want to move more comfortably. I want to be able to run. Forget that, I want to be able to fly! No worries about doing stuff when you get older - the secret is that you don't feel older: it's a blessing and a curse.

Ah well regardless, good luck and its still inspirational! Its something I would like to do so congratulations on that and I am sure you will be able to do plenty of other things with great confidence sooner than you think!

Wandering WarriorLevel 4- STR: 7.5 | DEX: 1 | CON: 7 | STA: 7.5 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 4.25"Your future is created by what you do TODAY, not tomorrow"

Battle Log | Fitocracy

Lifting Goals: Squats - 545 | Bench - 410 | Deads - 585 

Archived