Forums are back in action! ×

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4Bn; will create sequels

karassa

Dude. Iron Man and the Avengers were AMAZING. Disney is not only in the little kid business guys. Secondly, Star Wars was little kidish to begin with. I mean seriously, the story line is about as elementary as you can get. It was awesome for what it was, a ground breaking sci fi movie, but only when compared to the time. Remove the nostalgia, and you have a decent movie with a subpar storyline, lots of bad jokes and cheesy subplots, with a few decent twists (I am your father)

Honestly,

I love Disney and I love Star Wars. SO not seeing much bad here.

My issue with all the Star Wars films are the same. George Lucas is an ideas man, but a terrible writer.. I mean really!

Just look at the mess of 1-3 which her wrote & directed in full.

In the original trilogy (The Holy Trilogy), much of the interactions between Leah and Solo were re-written during shooting.

Also 5 & 6 and were directed by more experienced directors who re wrote large sections of dialogue, which is why (IMO) they are so mush stronger films than 4, an in another league than 1-3.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars, it was a part of my childhood and ITS GOT FREAKIN' SPACE WIZARDS IN IT!

For me, Disney bringing on board better writers and directors for the new films and keeping George Lucas to continuity checking only is a big win for the brand.

Gotta love the space wizards. It might be easier to transition the series if they jump to a period that is at least one hundred years in one direction or the other. Don't worry so much about the personal lives of the heroes we know, pass it along to a different generation and go wild with stylistic updates. Were the Young Jedi Knights books even cannon, because that and Junior Jedi Knights are the only series I read.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I really hope they don't discard the EU when it comes to plot.

It isn't perfect, but the number of plot holes between all the books, comics, games, and movies is incredibly low when you consider how much it crosses media boundaries and the number of creative minds involved. To discard that would be tragic.

On the flipside it means the storyline is densly populated for a long time after the original series. You almost need to go well beyond that point in time such that the stories of Luke and Vader are legendary tales of the past and little else, with no real bearing on the characters (meaning we aren't talking the major characters of the original trilogy or their kids or their grandkids), instead using the universe as a sci fi framework for an entirely new epic tale.

If it weren't for the fact that there is an issue with the original actors being too old, the Thrawn Trilogy is arguably the best plot in the Star Wars universe.

I thought the whole idea behind the X-Wing series would make a great cartoon.

I almost would prefer them going earlier than going later though. Going later would likely involved a more high tech feel to the movies (one of the big flaws of the prequel trilogy to was that it seemed so much more high tech (and clean) than the original trilogy, which took place a few decades later, yet had a much more low tech, dirty, beat up look to it). Way earlier could allow them to cross into a steampunkish vision of spacefaring and the Star Wars universe, which could be downright awesome and really redefine sci-fi.

Thank goodness Lucas' hand is out of it.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I have mixed feelings.

When I first heard about sequels I thought, "Oh boy, it's 'Lion King III: Timon's Revenge'--straight to DVD all over again." Why did they make Cinderella II? (Straight to DVD) Didn't the story wrap up with Cinderella: Episode I? However, there's plenty in the Star Wars universe worth exploring, if they do it well.

That said, what they've done with Marvel is encouraging. I like how at the beginning of Marvel movies, you don't see the Walt Disney logo with the Magic Kingdom and "When You Wish Upon a Star" theme; you just see the flipping comic pages and the Marvel logo. So Disney can run Marvel (And ABC and ESPN) without adding "A Disney company" at the end.

So I'm willing to keep an open mind.

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

If it weren't for the fact that there is an issue with the original actors being too old, the Thrawn Trilogy is arguably the best plot in the Star Wars universe.

^This. My first thought on hearing the news was thet The Grand Admiral Thrawn Trilogy might actually get made into films.

But I agree, the actors are all too old to reprise their roles.

Maybe something from the KOTOR era would work well.

Time will tell I guess.

Well, the market so far doesn't seem to thrilled. I bought stock in Marvel way back when. When Disney bought it, it was converted to Disney stock. Which is going down as of now. :P (but not a super huge rats fleeing the ship down)

LVL 2 Ranger: STR:4 CON:4 STA:3 DEX:2 WIS:4 CHA:3

When I first heard about sequels I thought, "Oh boy, it's 'Lion King III: Timon's Revenge'--straight to DVD all over again." Why did they make Cinderella II? (Straight to DVD) Didn't the story wrap up with Cinderella: Episode I? However, there's plenty in the Star Wars universe worth exploring, if they do it well.

That said, what they've done with Marvel is encouraging. I like how at the beginning of Marvel movies, you don't see the Walt Disney logo with the Magic Kingdom and "When You Wish Upon a Star" theme; you just see the flipping comic pages and the Marvel logo. So Disney can run Marvel (And ABC and ESPN) without adding "A Disney company" at the end.

I think that Disney is making some effort to rebrand themselves as an entertainment company with a lot of kid friendly product instead of an entertainment company for kids.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I really hope they don't discard the EU when it comes to plot.

It isn't perfect, but the number of plot holes between all the books, comics, games, and movies is incredibly low when you consider how much it crosses media boundaries and the number of creative minds involved. To discard that would be tragic.

On the flipside it means the storyline is densly populated for a long time after the original series. You almost need to go well beyond that point in time such that the stories of Luke and Vader are legendary tales of the past and little else, with no real bearing on the characters (meaning we aren't talking the major characters of the original trilogy or their kids or their grandkids), instead using the universe as a sci fi framework for an entirely new epic tale.

I thought the whole idea behind the X-Wing series would make a great cartoon.

I almost would prefer them going earlier than going later though. Going later would likely involved a more high tech feel to the movies (one of the big flaws of the prequel trilogy to was that it seemed so much more high tech (and clean) than the original trilogy, which took place a few decades later, yet had a much more low tech, dirty, beat up look to it). Way earlier could allow them to cross into a steampunkish vision of spacefaring and the Star Wars universe, which could be downright awesome and really redefine sci-fi.

Thank goodness Lucas' hand is out of it.

I'm slowly working my way through the EU books and currently have Han and Leai's youngest as a toddler, so about 10-15 books in I think. Long way to go. Like you said, very few plot holes as everything needed to be approved my LucasArts.

I can't see them doing episodes 7-9 as something far down the timeline, it wouldn't make sense to give them those episode numbers. I think the Thrawn trilogy is the best for 7-9 as they happen right after 4-6 and are some of the strongest stories in terms of plot. They would of course need to recast due to age. The other option I see is doing 20-30 years down the line as so they could have the old actors in them, but there is really too much that happens in that timeframe and everyone would be lost where the story picks up.

Rogue Squadron would be apsolutaley awesome as a tv series or mini series, even a cartoon.

I don't see them going any earlier because 1-3 have covered up to the birth of Vader and there's not a huge amount of content between 3 and 4 that makes an impact on anything else, as they made sure to try to cover all that in 1-3. Same thing for pre-1, there's nothing that really needs to be covered or connects to 1-6. I think post 6 would be the best way to go to generate interest in the story.

I think that Disney is making some effort to rebrand themselves as an entertainment company with a lot of kid friendly product instead of an entertainment company for kids.

Which is why I'm not worried. Marvel stayed Marvelish, Piaxar stayed Piaxarish, Star Wars I believe will stay Star Warsish. They seem to only grab companies that are PG-13 movie generators or better and then let them do their thing instead of Disneyfying them.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Was I the only one not too impressed with the Thrawn trilogy?

Does it count that I was probably too obsessed with Star Trek at the time to appreciate it even if I knew what you were talking about?

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

I feel like today's RealLife webcomic explains my feelings on this well.

20121031_2936.jpg

Yeah, ditto.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Rooks, you are tempting me to drag my everything machine to the living room and having a Dollhouse marathon. Well, I have to check if it's still available, Firefly should be.

As a hardcore Star Wars nerd, I don't know how I feel. I want the originals left untouched and canon. That's my only request. They are cinematic and sci-fi watershed productions that, despite aged, cheesy, dialog and some funny inconsistencies, remain my favorite three movies. Disney. . . You served my nerdiness during the Avenger's craze, now I beg you not to destroy Star Wars. Help me Disney, you are my only hope. . .

Untouched and cannon... this is a huge reason for me to rejoice that Disney has it now. I might actualyl be able to get the original trilogy on blu-ray without all the random Lucas re-edits. No blinking ewoks or Hayden Christensen ghost.

Which is why I'm not worried. Marvel stayed Marvelish, Piaxar stayed Piaxarish, Star Wars I believe will stay Star Warsish. They seem to only grab companies that are PG-13 movie generators or better and then let them do their thing instead of Disneyfying them.

People tend to forget that Disney has always had alternative production companies to handle films that they would prefer not to fly under the castle flag logo. Touchstone, for example, is owned by Disney, but doesn't produce cartoons or child-centric films. Pretty Woman, Armageddon, and... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, are all technically Disney properties. I don't think it follows that just because Disney now owns it, that they will fundamentally change it.

As a huge Disney fan, I'm excited for the expansion of Star Wars in the parks, particularly Hollywood Studios in Florida. I think it can and will be handled well, and give us new films etc to love that don't have glaringly stupid things in them... like Jar Jar Binks.

As a huge Disney fan, I'm excited for the expansion of Star Wars in the parks, particularly Hollywood Studios in Florida. I think it can and will be handled well, and give us new films etc to love that don't have glaringly stupid things in them... like Jar Jar Binks.

Insert joke about the lack of a Pretty Woman ride here...

500 / 330 / 625

What has Disney put out that's been critically-acclaimed in the last ten years that didn't involve Pixar? I'm honestly curious and too busy/lazy to search myself right now.

That's an INCREDIBLY long list. The first that comes to mind, though, is "The Avengers."

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win."

—Mahatma Ghandi

Tangled (2010), I liked it and its got a 90% RT Fresh Rating.
That's an INCREDIBLY long list. The first that comes to mind, though, is "The Avengers."

True facts. Reminder to self: critically-acclaimed /= Tin Man-acclaimed. Tangled I did not like and Avengers I was "meh" on after much hype (conventional fun action movie, nothing else).

I found this list and didn't see many non-Pixar (and non-Ghibli dubbed) great movies in the last ten years but there definitely were a few. Those are also only movies under the Disney name, not Touchstone ones.

I'm feeling more optimistic about this as there's time to process. It'll be fun to see more from that universe. I may enjoy it, I may not. Will it be as magical as when I first watched IV - VI? No and nobody should expect it to be. The original trilogy today is all about nostalgia to me anyway as the hokeyness became more and more obvious as I've aged. Don't get me wrong it's still great fun to watch the movies but it's not like A New Hope would blow my mind now like it did when I was 10.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

I'm gonna toss my chip in the "Not seeing what's great about the Thrawn trilogy" camp. It was fair, and some of the ideas in it were great (particularly nice work papering over a few major cracks in the films), but the pacing needed significant work. Parts of it needed to be cut, and a few parts felt too rushed.

But then, Star Wars isn't really that great on paper either. A good director could indeed make great movies out of the Thrawn books if that's what they're planning, but I think it's a two-movie sequence rather than three, unless they add in a bunch of new subplots or the action sequences take longer.

I enjoyed "The Avengers" but didn't think it was the greatest action movie ever made. For me, great movies have to have some character development. But it was worth watching, and if the new "Star Wars" films meet that bar, well, I won't regret the cost of my movie ticket.

In particular, I'd enjoy seeing some more lightsaber duels like they had in the prequels, with, you know, acrobatic moves and hazardous terrain and epic music and stuff. At least I know they're not gonna screw up that feature, whatever else happens.

I refuse to go see them in 3-d though. 3-d just isn't my thing.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Sorry, should have clarified: They'll definitely survive and thrive on it. But I still think it's the stupidest thing in the world, personally. I like Star Wars as an adult property, not washed down kid crap.

Lucas, by his own admission, always envisioned Star Wars as "washed down kid crap."

Archived