Forums are back in action! ×

Cardio's role?

Ghost

Decreases your risk of developing heart disease and non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus by strengthening your heart muscle, decreasing your resting heart rate, increasing your veinal and arterial elasticity, improving your lung efficiency, lowering your LDL cholesterol, raising your HDL cholesterol, and improving your insulin sensitivity.

I do my CV right after weighlifting on the same days. I like keeping my rest/recovery days as rest/recovery days. But there's different strategies. Find what works best for your desired lifestyle.

Cardio exercise is like squats for you heart, it makes your heart operate stronger and more efficiently. It leads to efficiency in your aerobic energy system, and it strengthens the type of muscle fibers that enable you to do physical activity for a long time.

A lot of strength/bodybuilder types tend to hate it and badmouth it, but see it as a necessary evil when cutting. I think in moderation when in a surplus and bulking, expecially lower impact cardio, tends to help with partitioning, so that your excess calories go mostly to muscle gain. Low-moderate impact cardio does burn fat more effectively than other exercise types; as long as there isn't a big recovery expense, this fat burn helps to keep bulking cleaner IMHO, you just have to take the cardio into account when calculating your calorie needs.

I run on my off days and walk on my lunch breaks, whether bulking or cutting (about 10 miles a week each of running and walking).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I am an amateur triathlete, so cardio to me is crucial.

I feel that cardio is paramount. Even when you are lifting weights you are doing cardio to an extent. Granted, with the lift really heavy, then walk around the gym puffed out for two minutes mentality, you are not working your cardio. But, if you do a superset with heavy as hell weights.... tell me what your heart rate is at then :). Google Cosgrove's Evil 8 for an example. These weights don't seem heavy, but believe me.... you're going to be straining when your finished.

I agree with Waldo that people badmouth cardio a lot. But you have to ask yourself what your goals are. If you plan on becoming Tony Atlas, then smaller amounts of cardio than say Craig Alexander. That, or strap a feed bag on because your wasting calories burning them running when trying to bulk.

Personally, I love cardio. I love getting on my bike and hammering a 165hr pace for over an hour. Nothing (workout wise) puts a smile on my face like taking my bike outside.

Your heart is a muscle, and it needs training just like the rest of you. And, just like the rest of you, whatever you can do for cardio that you will enjoy and do often is what you should do.

Cardio is weightlifting for your insides. It makes your heart and oxygen delivery systems stronger and more efficient. Anyone who doesn't incorporate it into their workout is missing something. You hear a lot of people say they want to be strong because every man should be able to save his family from a burning building. Without cardio, you're going to wear out and have to chose who to save.

As for weight loss, it's the easiest way to create a caloric deficit and get a fat burn without going anaerobic and making your body burn muscle. I always use it when trying to lose fat and I should include it more on a few off days when building.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Decreases your risk of developing heart disease and non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus by strengthening your heart muscle, decreasing your resting heart rate, increasing your veinal and arterial elasticity, improving your lung efficiency, lowering your LDL cholesterol, raising your HDL cholesterol, and improving your insulin sensitivity.

So nothing really important huh Critter? ^_^_^

Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Auntie Mame

[TABLE=width: 500, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YoukaiLegend, level 1 Yeti assassin

STR 3|DEX 1|STA 1|CON 1|WIS 5|CHA 4

[/TABLE]

Whatever you enjoy most and are most likely to keep doing, they're all effective.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Rowing, distance running. I want to get into sprint work as well, but that is just enough more complicated than just warming up and running for a certain distance that I haven't done it yet.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

I found my old cable jump/skipping rope!

I knew it was around somewhere. It seems a bit more fun than running, and unfortunately I have nowhere to row.

Does the trick though, the heart rate goes right up!

How should I measure it, jumps or time?

Also, how much is too much when it comes to cardio?

Thanks all.

It gets your heart going, so yes, it's cardio.

For cardio, go for 20 minutes sustained at a moderate heart rate or do a few minute burst that really gets the heart rate up there (which is HIIT), break for a minute, and repeat for 15-20 min. Both have similar results.

500 / 330 / 625

Burpees count mainly as masochism...

haters-gonna-hate26.jpg

500 / 330 / 625

On my highschool wrestling team there was this heavy weight body builder who hated cardio, so he would just lift to get wicked strong, well during the regular season he would destroy kids with ease, however when we started to get to Sectionals and States he would lose by points because he would run into other kids like him, so people would just ride him out until the 2nd period where he got tired and people would bring him down for the points and that would be the end; so between our Soph and Jr year he started working cardio into his plan he ended up going far into States his Jr and Sr year

So you can be strong as a bull but if you don't have the stamania to use it what is it good for?

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Burpees count mainly as masochism, but also as high intensity cardio.

Hahah no pain no gain!!

"If what you did yesterday was your best, you haven't done anything today""

Body Weight: 190 lbs
Height: 5'8

Lifting Stats as of Aug 14, 2013
Bench Press: 240 lbs 5RM
Squat: 325 lbs 5RM
Overhead Press: 140lbs 4RM
Deadlift: 345lbs 5RM

Archived