Forums are back in action! ×

10 Tools for Getting Better at Pull-Ups

Erick the Red

It seems to me that there are always a lot of people that are trying to do their first pull-up.

I found this article that seems to have some very good suggestions for things that you can do to work on the small things that might be holding you back from progressing towards your pull-up goal, whether it is one or twenty.

The Proof Is in the Pull-Up: 10 Tools for Getting Better at Pull-Ups

Melody Schoenfeld

I wanted to post it here at Nerdfitness because even though I can do a handful, I would like to get better.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Doesn't look a whole lot different from Steve's do-a-pull-up plan, although I think I prefer Steve's method. Dead lifts will work on grip strength (not that he mentions them in his article, but hey, I'm now a dead lift believer), and inverted body weight rows accomplish a lot of what else she advocates in the article. Since her method worked for her, however, I'm not going to quibble with it, just state I prefer Steve's method. There are probably a lot of people for whom the article you quoted would work better than Steve's.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I like a lot of her methods, and think I might start doing more isometric holds at my weak point (the top). I had to watch most of her videos twice because I was distracted. That woman definitely squats.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Archived