Forums are back in action! ×

I challenge you to grow some...

Well, I just put in tomato plants - 4 in my sunny south-facing bed, and two cherry tomatoes in containers on the balcony. Also, the onions are coming up! They are the only thing that's made an appearance that was planted from seed, aside from one lonely rutabaga. I might have to try again with the beans and peas.

All the little herb plants I bought are doing well, also in containers - basil, rosemary and spearmint. And I'm trying to grow chamomile from seed.

Also, I'm regrowing my green onion ends in a little container too, which is working very well.

Not bad for a first year!

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Nice!

This used to be where  my weight loss progress bar was. Maybe it will be here again when I'm ready to face the scale and work on my fat problem.
 NewBattleLog              OldBattleLog (between challenges)

Spoiler

Don't let what you cannot do
interfere with what you can do.

-John Wooden

2013 Running Tally: I lost track in July, at 148.925  ((plus 0.5)) but I finished a Very Slow marathon in October. Then I mostly stopped.
2014 Running Tally: 134.1 miles plus 5k (as of 17 September) lost track again, but I know I had at least 147.2 plus 5k for 2014.
2015 Running Tally: 41.2 treadmilled miles & 251.93 real world miles

2016 Running Tally: 0

20130531_073932_zps1ef86a24.jpg

20130531_073923_zpsd2855238.jpg

20130531_073935_zps5df48685.jpg

they aren't pretty but hopefully they'll get the job done.

tomatoes

green peppers

cucumbers

One plum tree

and basil

going to try to get some strawberries... maybe go for blackberries to. I dunno I love fruit lol. I'm so happy I got this stuff planted!

We just cleared out a big section of abandoned garden in the backyard, and eesh, those weeds were happy and fit! I feel like I just took down a dragon. I'm not sure if we're going to plant veggies or a butterfly garden in their place.

To our delight, it looks like a strawberry plant survived! The berries didn't survive the bunnies... but the plant survived our total neglect! That's dedication right there.

Lvl 5 Lightbending Bard
STR: 10 | DEX: 10 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 15 | CHA: 5.5
"If the desire to write is not accompanied by actual writing, then the desire must be not to write." - Hugh Prather

Feel free to drop by my current challenge!

Guest CyborgNinja

Oh wow, good to see there's a thread for this.

I'm starting a worm farm which will provide the fertilizer for a spirulina colony. I'm basically trying to grow my own protein powder lawlz.

Well, the rutabaga came up, and a couple beans and peas sprouted! Not the sweet peas though - not sure what to do about that one.

Oh, and the chamomile I planted has come up! I can't wait to make my own tea :)

Onions are doing great, and the tomatoes seem to have survived the transplant. I'm lucky that there were already rhubarb and chives planted in our yard, I'm enjoying the chives, and looking forward to having some fun with the rhubarb :)

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Pests can be really discouraging.  Especially after all of your weeding, watering, and patience.  I hate using any type of pesticide on stuff I'm going to eat. So this has been my experience with non-pesticide pest control.  I hope it helps some of you.

- White Flies:  Neem Oil Concentrate.  It's kinda pricey, but the dilution goes a long way, and it works great to keep your big leafy stuff healthy.

- Looper Worms: Shake your plants gently and you'll see them drop on the dirt (tiny, bright green, look like inch-worms).  Squish them.

- Slugs: Bury a pie tin so that it's flush with the ground around the affected crop. Fill it up to rim with beer.  It will be filled with slugs in the morning.  Discard.

- Grasshoppers: You can try getting Praying Mantis from a local garden center.  But these guys are bastards.  I usually just stomp them when I see them.

- Aphids: I've tried insecticidal soap (2:5:1 - Rubbing Alcohol, Water, Dish Soap), but sometimes it can damage tender leaves.  Works though.  

Even better though (and this is true for lots of the above pests) Put a couple of bird feeders on opposite corners of your yard.  1 catering to small birds (Sparrows, Finches, Phoebes), they will show up for the birdseed, then come back in swarms when they realize that you have White Flies and Aphids to munch on.  They pick your garden clean in like 10 minutes.  The other catering to larger birds (Jays, Orioles, Mockingbirds).  These guys will grab Looper Worms, Grasshoppers, the larger Aphids.

Spare your liver the trauma of having to filter out actual poison.  Regardless of what the label says about it washing clean after 5 days.  Use your liver for what it was intended... Enjoying a nice cold beer after you've toiled away in the sun picking weeds in your garden.

Joined the 6-Week Challenge yesterday, and my Level-Up goal is to build some proper raised beds with organic compost/soil and start growing a true garden.  The kind that will replace my need to purchase veggies from the store.  I'll post pics as it progresses, and try to document cost and materials in case anyone wants a point of reference for their own project.

Pests can be really discouraging.  Especially after all of your weeding, watering, and patience.  I hate using any type of pesticide on stuff I'm going to eat. So this has been my experience with non-pesticide pest control.  I hope it helps some of you.

- White Flies:  Neem Oil Concentrate.  It's kinda pricey, but the dilution goes a long way, and it works great to keep your big leafy stuff healthy.

- Looper Worms: Shake your plants gently and you'll see them drop on the dirt (tiny, bright green, look like inch-worms).  Squish them.

- Slugs: Bury a pie tin so that it's flush with the ground around the affected crop. Fill it up to rim with beer.  It will be filled with slugs in the morning.  Discard.

- Grasshoppers: You can try getting Praying Mantis from a local garden center.  But these guys are bastards.  I usually just stomp them when I see them.

- Aphids: I've tried insecticidal soap (2:5:1 - Rubbing Alcohol, Water, Dish Soap), but sometimes it can damage tender leaves.  Works though.  

Even better though (and this is true for lots of the above pests) Put a couple of bird feeders on opposite corners of your yard.  1 catering to small birds (Sparrows, Finches, Phoebes), they will show up for the birdseed, then come back in swarms when they realize that you have White Flies and Aphids to munch on.  They pick your garden clean in like 10 minutes.  The other catering to larger birds (Jays, Orioles, Mockingbirds).  These guys will grab Looper Worms, Grasshoppers, the larger Aphids.

Spare your liver the trauma of having to filter out actual poison.  Regardless of what the label says about it washing clean after 5 days.  Use your liver for what it was intended... Enjoying a nice cold beer after you've toiled away in the sun picking weeds in your garden.

Wow there is some great information there!  Great to see.  My family has always tried to avoid chemicals in our garden as well.  My stepmother has a lot of "home remedies" for issues in the garden.  Just be careful with birds.  They tend to eat berries as well.  I saw some interesting tactics on that (painting rocks to look like berries and the birds will learn they cant eat them) not sure how well it works though.

I'm setting that up soon in my new flat :)

http://www.windowfarms.com/

no one can complain there's no space, and you can get organic food all year-round if you get the right nutrients!

I'm considering making mine but I can't do much until I get to the new apartment.  My start date for my job is changed and It'll be a few more weeks before I can get there. 

"Do what I do.  Hold tight and pretend it's a plan." -The Doctor

Nothing is impossible.  The word itself says I'm Possible.

I'm considering making mine but I can't do much until I get to the new apartment.  My start date for my job is changed and It'll be a few more weeks before I can get there. 

Yea it's pretty easy to build with bottles and a pump system, even less power usage with an air pump.

Right now other than my fresh herbs, I don't have the space to do much more, but in the few flat ... 3 new windows which will be perfect for that :)

Pumonca - Aventurer Level 1 - Working to become Ranger/Assasin

STR:2 DEX:2 STA:0 CON:3 WIS:2 CHA:1

This year we added two additional raised bed gardens and put a fence up around it with pea gravel. I also added automatic sprinklers and a water system and put the hoses under the gravel. I finally got the fence around our raised bed garden complete:

IMG_20130507_181507-M.jpg

IMG_20130507_181515-M.jpg

IMG_20130508_181019-M.jpg

IMG_20130609_193613-M.jpg

IMG_20130609_193624-M.jpg

IMG_20130609_193645-M.jpg

IMG_20130609_193636-M.jpg

IMG_20130609_193631-M.jpg

We grew all of our plants from seed this year. We grew some last year. We are increasing the amount a little every year.

Check out my woodworking at peonywoodworks.

Two days ago weed whacked and tilled the squash zone, and culled and potted up starts. Also started as other batch of seeds of things the bugs ate. So...need to let the soil dry a bit, and then put in the trellises and I can plant 4 kinds tomato starts, purple tomatillos, sweet Italian peppers, Anaheim peppers, basil. This afternoon I'll start seeds for the Jalapeño and Aji Dulce peppers as well, as the bugs killed the first batch off. The squash zone gets Green Tints for summer, and Baby Butternuts, Delicatas, and (a ways away from everyone else so we don't have conflicts) Seminole Pumpkins for winter. The earlier mentioned planting was taking out by flooding, such is life!

I liked this idea alot, and i support it.

I dont know how i will be able to grow something underground (except for fungus and mold, wich grows alot in my place) but i really want to try and construct a garden, as i believe that will be very nice to clean the air of the ambient and make my "dungeon" more livable.

Level 1 ~ Revenant ~ Freelancer (Adventurer)

Strenght (STR): 1
Dexterity
(DEX): 4
Stamina
(STA): 1

Constitution (CON): 2
Wisdom
(WIS): 4
Charisma
(CHA): 3

"One little fading light against a wold of darkness"

Battle Log

i'm kind of a surrogate father to my girlfirend's plants in the fact that i help her water them sometimes.  they are at her place though.

she got three different types of tomatoes, and three different herbs: oregano, sweet mint, and another type of mint.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I almost managed not to kill anything! (almost)

Here is my Before/After:

IMG 20130209 145008

Back in February, nothing but a half dead sage

IMG 20130609 114345

Today! The sage definitely died (I blame the weather) but the rosemary, thyme, basil and tomato plant are sill alive! I almost killed the basil once (forgot to water it, it didn't like it) but now it's in perfect shape and it smells in all the kitchen when I open the window! Having fresh herbs is nice, tomato plant was only a whim, they are good for sure but it was a bit expensive and doesn't hold that many tomatoes for two. I'll probably try another herb next year (sage again, or melissa)

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back