Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

One annoying thing that my girlfriend and I say when we are food shopping...we call everything thats bad for you gluten. Inspired by the scene from This Is the End with Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel.  We'll see ANY unhealthy food the other stands in front of too long and shout "thats a gluten! you put that down". Lol I'm sure that anyone who is around us thinks we are complete idiots.

I hate the annoying looks I get when I make reference to being on a diet.  I'm nowhere near overweight (unless you ask my doctor who used his BMI calculator on his iPhone) so when I say I'm on a diet, I get looks like I must have a body image disorder. I'm guessing because the word diet has a negative connotation attached to it since a lot of them are fads, trends, buzz words. I've started just saying "I eat Paleo/primal" or that I eat a paleo/primal lifestyle, try to avoid the word diet

One annoying thing that my girlfriend and I say when we are food shopping...we call everything thats bad for you gluten. Inspired by the scene from This Is the End with Seth Rogen and Jay Baruchel.  We'll see ANY unhealthy food the other stands in front of too long and shout "thats a gluten! you put that down". Lol I'm sure that anyone who is around us thinks we are complete idiots.

I hate the annoying looks I get when I make reference to being on a diet.  I'm nowhere near overweight (unless you ask my doctor who used his BMI calculator on his iPhone) so when I say I'm on a diet, I get looks like I must have a body image disorder. I'm guessing because the word diet has a negative connotation attached to it since a lot of them are fads, trends, buzz words. I've started just saying "I eat Paleo/primal" or that I eat a paleo/primal lifestyle, try to avoid the word diet

Yeah, that's not really being on a "diet" in the commonly percieved sense, it is more that you're living a healthy lifestyle. And honestly most of the "diets" out there are a hot mess. But most people don't understand healthy eating in even the most remote sense so I know how frustrating it can be. People think you hate yourself and that is why you eat healthy but the truth of it is, you're jsut doing what is actually right for you body

Warrior, Ravenclaw, book lover, history nerd, Red Sonja wannabe

Current Challenge

Battle Log

People think you hate yourself and that is why you eat healthy but the truth of it is, you're jsut doing what is actually right for you body

TBH I started eating healthy and started "dieting" because I love myself and the best way for me to be on this earth a little longer was to change my lifestyle

Maybe I'm in an annoyed mood right now but there's another annoying comment I hear/get a lot...

When people ask what I do when you workout, I say I lift. Then there's always a skeptical look of "YOU lift? Weights? You lift weights?" The same reaction I get when I mention that I used to play football in high school. Its kind of obnoxious because I'm not skinny and I'm not overweight, I'm in a really healthy range but I gues I come off thinner and dorkier in clothes so people (usually ones that know me) don't expect me to actively lift weights. 

It seems as if you arent already huge with bulging muscles you shouldnt lift weights at all...ever. I'm sure the ladies and anyone overweight/not "in shape" has gotten this response as well.

Maybe I'm in an annoyed mood right now but there's another annoying comment I hear/get a lot...

When people ask what I do when you workout, I say I lift. Then there's always a skeptical look of "YOU lift? Weights? You lift weights?" The same reaction I get when I mention that I used to play football in high school. Its kind of obnoxious because I'm not skinny and I'm not overweight, I'm in a really healthy range but I gues I come off thinner and dorkier in clothes so people (usually ones that know me) don't expect me to actively lift weights. 

It seems as if you arent already huge with bulging muscles you shouldnt lift weights at all...ever. I'm sure the ladies and anyone overweight/not "in shape" has gotten this response as well.

Yep, I get this all the time. I'm 5'6 and a size 4. I'm not jacked but I can put a barbell that weighs as much as me on my back and squat it to the ground for 3 sets of 5. And yet I get this ALL THE TIME! See but for us ladies the next thing is "Be careful, you're going to get bulky" and I just want to bash my head off the wall. Lifting thus far has not made me bulky, do people think I'm going to turn into the Hulk overnight one day?

Current Challenge

Battle Log

I get that a lot when I say I am going to run.  I'm on the bigger side, just over 6' tall and (now) at 233lbs.  Truth is, I enjoy running.  I'm not a typically shaped runner, but I like it; back off.

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Yep, I get this all the time. I'm 5'6 and a size 4. I'm not jacked but I can put a barbell that weighs as much as me on my back and squat it to the ground for 3 sets of 5. And yet I get this ALL THE TIME! See but for us ladies the next thing is "Be careful, you're going to get bulky" and I just want to bash my head off the wall. Lifting thus far has not made me bulky, do people think I'm going to turn into the Hulk overnight one day?

HULK SMASH PUNY MISINFORMED PEOPLE

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Exactly! Society is still pretty lacking in the ability to process that

Haha, I'm on a quest to civilize civilization...you are welcome to join me!

I would be more concerned about the turning green and interested in how you managed to rip all of your clothes while maintain just enough to cover the naughty bits lol.

On that same note, the note about becoming bulky, not the naughty bits. Its equally annoying as a guy who has a lot of female friends that want to get in shape and when I suggest lifting things more than 5 lbs for less than 50 reps, they are shocked and disgusted. Then I try to explain, they look at me, and then I give up and end up annoyingly sending them blogs/sites/posts (usually from NF) that support my point.

I get that a lot when I say I am going to run.  I'm on the bigger side, just over 6' tall and (now) at 233lbs.  Truth is, I enjoy running.  I'm not a typically shaped runner, but I like it; back off.

I'm sure, if you don't fit the image that people associate with a certain activity/sport, you're usually given crazy looks or suggestions that maybe you should try something else.

Yes please!

I would be more concerned about the turning green and interested in how you managed to rip all of your clothes while maintain just enough to cover the naughty bits lol.

On that same note, the note about becoming bulky, not the naughty bits. Its equally annoying as a guy who has a lot of female friends that want to get in shape and when I suggest lifting things more than 5 lbs for less than 50 reps, they are shocked and disgusted. Then I try to explain, they look at me, and then I give up and end up annoyingly sending them blogs/sites/posts (usually from NF) that support my point.

Ok, fair, most women are silly. To quite Al bundy "Don't try to understand women, because women understand women and they hate each other"

Current Challenge

Battle Log

From extended family that I see once a year, every Xmas: "my, you've gotten taller!" (I've been 5'11 for the past 15 years).

Overheard from random people growing up: "she looks anorexic" (I've always been naturally underweight with slender bone/muscle and limbs, a healthy appetite, and have NEVER restricted my food.  In fact, for years I ate tons of junk food before deciding to clean up my diet.).

From a "friend" at work that has only known me a month or so: "I'm worried about you.  You've lost weight recently.  I can tell because I saw some pictures of you from grad school and your face is much thinner now." (I have gained 5+ pounds since grad school, so essentially the same weight).

From friends now that I've cut back on drinking:  "What are you getting? "  Me: "Water"    Them: "WHY aren't you drinking?" Me: Trying to be healthy / want to get up early for run/bike/hike/etc and don't want to be dehydrated / doesn't agree too well with my stomach, ..., (Not sure how may times I need to have this conversation before it gets old...)

From friends now that I've cut back on drinking:  "What are you getting? "  Me: "Water"    Them: "WHY aren't you drinking?" Me: Trying to be healthy / want to get up early for run/bike/hike/etc and don't want to be dehydrated / doesn't agree too well with my stomach, ..., (Not sure how may times I need to have this conversation before it gets old...)

My friend hears this all the time, she has a stomach problem, so drinking causes it to react badly and whenever she doesn't just suddenly "But it's a party, drink up and deal with the consequences tomorrow."

What I hear from family all the time is "God how much bigger have you gotten?" from family that I see once a year and have lost weight since they last saw me, what makes it worse is that they are all getting close to morbid levels and I'm the unhealthy one.

I've literally.. in all my years of lifting- EVER had anyone say that to me. and I work at a gym full of ignorant mo-fo's. seriously.  This baffles me

I've literally.. in all my years of lifting- EVER had anyone say that to me. and I work at a gym full of ignorant mo-fo's. seriously.  This baffles me

I wish! Hahaha, I get crap from people all the time, but the best part is, it is never at the gym! It is all the people in this world who are either lazy and use fear of getting bulky to not workout, or insecure and want to hold you back. And my mother, but that's just because whatever I do is wrong as far as she is concerned so I'm not sure that counts. Yeah the people at my gym sometimes give me attitude because I'm the only woman in the weight room, but not one of them has been dumb enough to tell me I would bulk. That comes from the rest of the world. Oh stereotypes.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

"Why do you need to exercise? Your so skinny already?!" Umm because I don't like the way I look? And I want to get stronger?

Also get the "you shouldn't lift too heavy. You'll blow your knees out. Happens to all weight lifters." >.< no no it doesn't. It's actually good for your joints and such if done right.

And my personal favourite "you've been reading that website so much that you're starting to believe it" well duh. I agree with the principles and ideas. And it's not like the Internet is just full of bad knowledge. There's a lot of good stuff out there if you know where to look. Talking about this site btw :)

Hoo boy... I recognise SO many of these! I have a few to add, too...

On mentioning that I'm fat, and am doing something real and lasting about it, I get comments like: "You're not fat! Sure, you're not skinny, but you're not one of those fat chicks who weigh like 17 stones or something" (I weigh 17 and a half stones)

and

"Oh well, at our age, we just have to accept what we have, and learn to make the most of that. You'll never weigh the same as you did when you were 16" (And why not, exactly?)

and the ever-present

"Eat less, move more" (This one makes me want to grind my teeth to powder.)

On mentioning that I'm fat, and am doing something real and lasting about it, I get comments like: "You're not fat! Sure, you're not skinny, but you're not one of those fat chicks who weigh like 17 stones or something" (I weigh 17 and a half stones)

People actually say that to you?  Like they assume that they know your weight?  I don't even...

But I have a couple things that I hear all the time too.  I'm 6'3" (190.5 cm) and weigh about 300 pounds (136 kg, 21.5 st) to give some context.

"Have you lost weight?  You look better than the last time I saw you." - Nope I've been this weight for the past 5 years, I don't think I've changed all that much.  Not that this one is necessarily bad, I just don't think that people need to feel like I want to be complimented on my weight... I really don't.

"What did your parents feed you when you were a kid?!" - I've come up with a couple standard responses to this.  My dad is a manager at a chicken company (Gold N' Plump FTW) so if people know about that I just say chicken.  If they don't I say that they never fed me and I'm underweight because of it.

"Dude you're like a caveman." - There's only one person who's ever said that to me, but he says it every single time we see each other.  DAMMIT JIM I GET IT, I LOOK LIKE A CAVEMAN.

Challenge thread | Battle logs | Active PVP | @PetziCola

Start: 349 lbs | Current: 332.6 lbs | Goal: 275 lbs

Endomondo | MyFitnessPal | Personal website

"Ah yes, I was wondering what would break first... your spirit, or your body!" - Bane, The Dark Knight Rises

Six Week Challenge Weight Loss Progress:

20%
20%

People actually say that to you?  Like they assume that they know your weight?  I don't even...

Yep, they say that to me, and if I call them on it, they start going on about my lack of double chin, how I don't have sausage fingers, or how most fat women have bellies bigger than their boobs, which is even worse. I don't have a double chin because I store the majority of my weight on my torso and upper limbs, I have long, spidery fingers in relation to both height and weight, so they don't -look- sausagey regardless of my size, and I'm an H cup, so having a belly bigger than my boobs has just never happened.

"Dude you're like a caveman." - There's only one person who's ever said that to me, but he says it every single time we see each other.  DAMMIT JIM I GET IT, I LOOK LIKE A CAVEMAN.

I feel your pain. I have one acquaintance who calls me "Reubenesque" every time we meet up. Gets on my last nerve sometimes...

Here's a fun one I've recently been getting, "Oh, but you're in the Army so of course you're in shape."

ACTUALLY

I'm in shape because I work out and watch what I eat. The Army has a tremendous amount of overweight soldiers, ranging from the bottom aaaaallll the way to the top of the rank structure, and who - just like the vast majority of Americans - do absolutely nothing to change that about themselves. I choose to not be one of them!

I mean, I get it: most people think "soldier" and instantly see a fit, trim individual in their mind's eye. After all, it is what the military standard is supposed to be. But it's more than a little annoying when you are one, and you see what the "average soldier" is composed of on a daily basis in this day and age, to be told that all your hard work and effort is solely due to your occupation in life. It's no better than telling someone that of course they're thin, 'because all their family members are thin and therefore it's just plain ol' genetics'. Excuse me, but I actually work for this shit, know what I'm saying? X-D

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

Here's a fun one I've recently been getting, "Oh, but you're in the Army so of course you're in shape."

ACTUALLY

I'm in shape because I work out and watch what I eat. The Army has a tremendous amount of overweight soldiers, ranging from the bottom aaaaallll the way to the top of the rank structure, and who - just like the vast majority of Americans - do absolutely nothing to change that about themselves. I choose to not be one of them!

I mean, I get it: most people think "soldier" and instantly see a fit, trim individual in their mind's eye. After all, it is what the military standard is supposed to be. But it's more than a little annoying when you are one, and you see what the "average soldier" is composed of on a daily basis in this day and age, to be told that all your hard work and effort is solely due to your occupation in life. It's no better than telling someone that of course they're thin, 'because all their family members are thin and therefore it's just plain ol' genetics'. Excuse me, but I actually work for this shit, know what I'm saying? X-D

See now I might have said something like this at one time. Really surprising(and a bit scary) that even in the army people are overweight. I just kinda figured that they made you work so hard you would get fit or collapse.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27