Forums are back in action! ×

Annoying comments you hear all the time

The one that drives me insane comes from my parents.

I have a college degree and I'm an insurance adjuster. It isn't what I went to college for, but what I went to college for didn't pay diddly squat and had me working myself to the bone. For the record I was a journalism major and worked as a sports writer at a newspaper. My job now is stressful but I'm much more happy with financial security, a 401k and being home every night and on the weekends.

And to be totally honest I was a pretty average writer. Nothing special.

But, don't tell mom and dad that.

I get "You have so much wasted talent. I can't believe you gave that up." and my dad will always tell me that I'm supposed to write the great american novel. Well, I did journalism dad. I don't write fiction.

I was also a pretty average college student and a good high school student. I finished college with a 3.0 gpa and high school with a 3.7. My parents for some reason think that I'm like the smartest person alive. Any time I talk about doing something athletic they'll say "You're not an athlete, you're a brain." WTF? I'm not sure what a brain is, but I'm not it.

My mom would tell me "One of your problems in school was that you were so much smarter than everyone else." Seriously? Where the heck did you get that at??? I didn't even wear one of those special robes at graduation you get for being smarter than everyone else!

Then again it is a blessing that my parents do hold such a high opinion of me and luckily despite that opinion they never put undue pressure on me. I just wish sometimes they'd see I'm a normal guy. And I'm happy with my career and life.

Parents are never happy with their kids. Believe me, it doesn't matter what you do!

That's not true. In my extended family I'm known as The Golden Child because of the way my parents speak of me. I've tried to knock it down a bit by revealing all the crap I got away with that they just never caught me doing, but yeah, I'm told on a constant basis how wonderful I am. It gets annoying. I have plenty of faults and don't think much of myself, even though I act like I do in order to try to counter my complete lack of self confidence I had growing up since I have always been a bit socially challenged, but I can't convince my parents I'm anything but the brightest star in the night sky.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

10 types of people you find at gyms...I get the bla bla bla one a lot. Honestly. If you can talk while you work out work harder  :tongue:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adamellis/types-of-people-you-find-in-every-gym

I'm # 2. the person who might as well live at the gym. 

LOL at the way to sweaty guy- there is a strange guy at my gym- I know him (in that i see him all the time kind of way) he was on the stair master the other day- literally frothing on his shoulders.  frothing.

I've never seen a human froth before- like a horse does.  It was so weird I was staring.  A lot. 

I'm # 2. the person who might as well live at the gym. 

LOL at the way to sweaty guy- there is a strange guy at my gym- I know him (in that i see him all the time kind of way) he was on the stair master the other day- literally frothing on his shoulders.  frothing.

I've never seen a human froth before- like a horse does.  It was so weird I was staring.  A lot. 

I'm a 10, an 8, and a reverse 7?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Do people look down on the sweaty? Because I am totally the sweaty guy... I see it as evidence of work.

I don't talk to anyone at the gym, Rests are short and timed, and I give it 100% as soon as I walk in the door. Your damn right I get sweaty!

sweating isn't a function of hard work so I don't even look at super sweaty people as hard workers.  Some are- some aren't.  And I don't care- one way or the other as long as you aren't DRIPPING all over everywhere- and machines and even worse trying to hug me. I don't mind slightly sweaty people hugging me - but if you're shirt is literally soaked from hem to hem... don't touch me- seriously it's disgusting.  yet some people insist on thinking it's a great idea or it's funny.  It's not. it's gross. go away.

But no- I don't look DOWN on sweaty people- I look at them the same way I look at everyone else.  If you work hard- great- follow proper gym etiquette. Great- come in- kill it- feel better- go home- eat steak. be happy. 

if not don't- just stay out of the way.

And clean up after yourself.

and don't hug me.  otherwise- whatever. don't care LOL

From one sweaty guy to another; wipe down the friggin machines after you are done, it's not that hard.....

seriously even before I start working out I take roll of paper towels and the disinfectant from off the wall and carry it with me (I make sure I don't grab the only one) and just wipe down the machines after I'm done with them, it only takes 10 seconds if that

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

I sweat quite a bit when I'm working and always use the wet clorox wipes dispensers the gym has so kindly stuck to the wall to clean stuff when I'm done. Even use the swiffer to clean the drops I leave on the floor after burpees or jumping rope.

To not do so would just be... Uncivil.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

I sweat quite a bit, and I sweat easily. I read somewhere it's an indication of the body's ability to keep itself cool and good circulation to some extent. Dunno if that's true or not, though. Could be broscience.

But yeah. I'm practically obsessive about wiping down machines - thankfully most gym patrons where I am are pretty clean and I've only had to wipe down something before I used it once or twice. I leave my stuff on the bench of whatever I was using or around the area while I fetch a spray bottle and towel so no one can start using it before I clean it. Sometimes they don't care, sometimes they really are grateful for it. 

Dwarf Monk

Level 5

STR 11 | STA 9 | DEX 5 | CON 11 | WIS 9 | CHA 5

ceterum censeo infirmitas esse delendam

CHALLENGE

TAKING OFF THE HAND WRAPS

previous

I ; II; III; IV ; V

When I really started jogging and treadmilling, I wouldn't start to sweat until about 20 minutes in.  After a few months of really dedicated jogging and treadmilling, the sweat started at 8 minutes, and there was a LOT more of it.  It was very weird, but I have been assured that's my body adapting to the work and kicking into high gear earlier, which is a sign of improvement.  

Also, I'm a 6'4" 260 lb chunky lumberjack type, so I've got a lot of insulation and tend to sweat a lot.  Fortunately I don't use gym machines anymore, so no wiping down for me. 

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I sweat quite a bit when I'm working and always use the wet clorox wipes dispensers the gym has so kindly stuck to the wall to clean stuff when I'm done. Even use the swiffer to clean the drops I leave on the floor after burpees or jumping rope.

To not do so would just be... Uncivil.

I sweat quite a bit, and I sweat easily. I read somewhere it's an indication of the body's ability to keep itself cool and good circulation to some extent. Dunno if that's true or not, though. Could be broscience.

But yeah. I'm practically obsessive about wiping down machines - thankfully most gym patrons where I am are pretty clean and I've only had to wipe down something before I used it once or twice. I leave my stuff on the bench of whatever I was using or around the area while I fetch a spray bottle and towel so no one can start using it before I clean it. Sometimes they don't care, sometimes they really are grateful for it. 

If you can find a bottle or dispenser, you should read the label.  In effect, all you are doing is making the equipment smell a little "cleaner" and evening out the moisture.  I've never found one that did not require at least several minutes (usually 5) of "soaking" to "sanitize".  More time is required for "disinfecting" (neither term being defined on the label of course).  Many of them are diluted hydrogen peroxide with a little bit of scent.

That said, it is still nice to wipe it down, even if it doesn't do any "good".  (Sorry you can't use that for another 3 1/2 minutes.  It's still soaking)

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This one isn't so much one I "hear all the time", but I have started to count calories, mostly because I had absolutely no idea if I was getting my energy requirements, and whether I was on track or not.  I've never counted them before, and had never really paid much attention to them.

I have a couple of friends who are very opposed to me counting calories, because they believe I'll "turn myself into a number" and that calories aren't a good measure of a diet.

I get that they mean well, and yes, it is entirely possible for someone to get so involved in counting calories (especially if they're operating on a number of calories which is far less than their body needs) that it can become counterproductive or plain harmful.

I just kind of wish they'd trust that I've been sensible about this, and I've done my research, I'm counting to a healthy number and most of all, that I'm doing it to get a handle on what my body is doing.  I explained I was using it as a metric, not as a guide, but I still don't think they trust me...

Ah, well.  Doesn't really matter - as long as I'm still healthy, they can't complain too hard.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

That one is hard. I used to be one of those staunch anti counting people.

Now I'm one of those.. No I can't because I'm cutting people. Lol.

They get used to it. As long as you aren't preachy and you kind of keep the counting to a dull roar most people think it's funny. It's when you make a big fuss about how your on a diet and you can't eat out for dinner and blah blah blah that they really get annoyed. It'll become less of a novelty soon.

That one is hard. I used to be one of those staunch anti counting people.

Now I'm one of those.. No I can't because I'm cutting people. Lol.

They get used to it. As long as you aren't preachy and you kind of keep the counting to a dull roar most people think it's funny. It's when you make a big fuss about how your on a diet and you can't eat out for dinner and blah blah blah that they really get annoyed. It'll become less of a novelty soon. Stick to it. :-)

This one isn't so much one I "hear all the time", but I have started to count calories, mostly because I had absolutely no idea if I was getting my energy requirements, and whether I was on track or not.  I've never counted them before, and had never really paid much attention to them.

I have a couple of friends who are very opposed to me counting calories, because they believe I'll "turn myself into a number" and that calories aren't a good measure of a diet.

I get that they mean well, and yes, it is entirely possible for someone to get so involved in counting calories (especially if they're operating on a number of calories which is far less than their body needs) that it can become counterproductive or plain harmful.

I just kind of wish they'd trust that I've been sensible about this, and I've done my research, I'm counting to a healthy number and most of all, that I'm doing it to get a handle on what my body is doing.  I explained I was using it as a metric, not as a guide, but I still don't think they trust me...

Ah, well.  Doesn't really matter - as long as I'm still healthy, they can't complain too hard.

I've lost a lot of weight with calorie counting.  It's worked for me, and worked beyond my wildest dreams of what I thought was possible.  I know it doesn't work for everyone, but if you're one of those people who doesn't find it a chore to log everything and doesn't struggle to log honestly, then it's worth a go.  I used calorie counting to look for little wins, little changes, and over time they add up.

However.... I have had one or two moments when it's threatened to drive me a bit mad.  On one occasion I remember walking around a shop looking for lunch, checking the calorie count on pretty much every sandwich and agonising about the particular combination of sandwich and crisps I was going to have for lunch to the extent that I was almost paralyzed by indecision.  I've also worried that I would get obsessed, and perhaps not know when to stop when I reached my goal weight, or not notice that I had.  But I'm more or less there now, and I'm gradually logging less and less often as I can now do most if it in my head.  I think if you're aware of the possible pitfalls of this kind of approach, it's likely that you'll avoid them.

Level 4 Human Adventurer / Level 4 Scout, couch to 5k graduate, six time marathon finisher.

Spoiler

Current 5k Personal Best: 22:00 / 21:23 / 21:13 / 21:09 / 20:55 / 20:25 (4th July 17)

Current 5 mile PB: 36:41 35:27 34:52 (10th May 17)

Current 10k PB: 44:58 44:27 44:07 44:06 43:50 (29th June 17)

Current Half Marathon PB: 1:41:54 1:38:24 1:37:47 1:37:41 (14th June 15)

Current Marathon PB: 3:39:34 3:29:49 (10th April 16)

There is no one true path. Calorie counting happened to be the path that worked for me. It's a tool. If someone uses a screwdriver as a shank it doesn't make the screwdriver bad.

Counting calories can be a hassle, a chore. Some can get obcessed over numbers. Still it does work, if you do your homework as set a reasonable calorie deficit. Some find it useful, some do not.

Me? It saved my life.

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
Zombies, Run! Profile

However.... I have had one or two moments when it's threatened to drive me a bit mad.  On one occasion I remember walking around a shop looking for lunch, checking the calorie count on pretty much every sandwich and agonising about the particular combination of sandwich and crisps I was going to have for lunch to the extent that I was almost paralyzed by indecision.  I've also worried that I would get obsessed, and perhaps not know when to stop when I reached my goal weight, or not notice that I had.  But I'm more or less there now, and I'm gradually logging less and less often as I can now do most if it in my head.  I think if you're aware of the possible pitfalls of this kind of approach, it's likely that you'll avoid them.

There is no one true path. Calorie counting happened to be the path that worked for me. It's a tool. If someone uses a screwdriver as a shank it doesn't make the screwdriver bad.

Counting calories can be a hassle, a chore. Some can get obcessed over numbers. Still it does work, if you do your homework as set a reasonable calorie deficit. Some find it useful, some do not.

Me? It saved my life.

Yeah, I know what you guys mean - it can very easily become a problem thing.  I just wish my friends would trust that I'm making sensible decisions.  I'm only a few days in, and it's already really helped me figure stuff out, but the comments are still vastly negative.

And yeah, I only brought it up the once.  No sense continuing that conversation.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

I didn't tell people I was counting calories for months. Just kept it to myself. Didn't want to talk about it. People eventually started with the "have you lost weight?" "How?". And I'd tell them.

80% didn't want to hear it. I'd be told either "I could never do that.". Or a variation of "Your doing it wrong," followed by another diet or weight loss thing that was the one true way.

After the first hundred pounds lost they stopped telling me I was doing it wrong and instead called me anorexic or told me to stop losing weight while I was still clinically obese.

I lost 50 more pounds.

People are going to say a lot of stupid things. As this thread is testament.

Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
Zombies, Run! Profile

+1 on the "Why are you counting calories" bits.

I would skip doughnuts, beer nights (though I'd still hang out with the people), obnoxiously calorically dense home made mac-and-cheese, and then be told that I was obsessing too much.  40-50 pounds later and 4 pant sizes down, I'm pretty damned good and people have mostly stopped.  I do get comments about not eating *as* much food now, but whatever.

Equally confusing is trying to explain to people that you're not counting calories for weight loss, but for approximate amount of protein consumed.  Baffle their mind that counting can be used of ANOTHER purpose.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

80% didn't want to hear it. I'd be told either "I could never do that.".

I've been getting this one A LOT.  People at work, or who I haven't seen for a while, will stop and ask me "What are you doing? I'd do anything to be able to lose weight like you have!"

When I tell them I've cut out processed foods and sugars, and lift heavy weights, they inevitably say the same thing: "Well, I couldn't do THAT..."  Really?  I thought you just said you'd do anything? 

I find their responses bizarre.  Like they expected me to say "I'm taking this magic pill, available for 3 easy payments of $9.99!"