Forums are back in action! ×

Hey Nerds,

I first discovered NerdFitness.com last summer when I was browsing the Internet for parkour resources and I stumbled upon The Definitive Guide to Parkour for Beginners. I thought it was a fascinating post, one that perfectly outlined the steps that a beginning traceur would need to take in order to effectively build the skills required for parkour. I haven't actually started, but that's why I'm here. Not necessarily just to find motivation for parkour, but for all of my fitness and lifehacking goals. I've made a few posts here and there since signing up, but this is my official introduction, my rebel yell, if you will.

Where to begin: My name is Ashish. I'm a 32 year old nerd. I work as a research technician for a chemical fuels startup in San Francisco. I'm currently working towards completing my degree in Forensic Science at SJSU. My nerdy interests are too numerous to list, so I'll just let them trickle out through future posts. My ultimate life goal is to become a writer and filmmaker. You might wonder what I'm doing studying and working in science since my goals are so far removed those two things. Well, like I said, that's why I'm here.

I had a revelation last week while playing through God of War: Ascension. I wasn't having fun with it. As I began what must have been my tenth attempt at The Trial of Archimedes chapter, I put the controller down, coaxed the dog out from under the bed (he hides when I start getting upset and yelling at the TV) and said to myself: "why am I doing this? I've spent 2 hours trying to accomplish something that I don't enjoy and will ultimately have no effect on my life." I could have spent that time doing something I enjoy or something that will build my life's XP. It was then that I sat down and did some thinking about the things I want to accomplish in life and how I can go about accomplishing them. Guess what, a high PSN trophy count was not on that list.

As I read over Steve's Epic Quest of Awesome, I realized that he and I share many of the same goals, the difference being that he's accomplished a few more of them than I have. That's not to say I haven't accomplished any of mine, nor was I comparing myself to him. It just made me see that people accomplish the things they want to do by working towards doing them, not by sitting around playing video games. And that's when I decided to let Nerd Fitness take over and rather than giving up video games, since I enjoy them, I would turn my life into a video game. Instead of a digital trophy count, I would build a real life trophy count.

So what do I want to get out of being a member of this forum (which totally reminds me of being on Prodigy BBS back in the early 90s)? I'm not looking to lose weight or change my diet and I despise gyms. I'm fairly fit already and my diet is healthy enough for my standards and goals. I'm more into body fitness and outdoor fitness. I'm a runner, which is why I've aligned myself with the Scout class. I want to keep pushing myself to improve as a runner. My girlfriend introduced me to the world of races and after a bit of pouting with my arms crossed, I eventually embraced it and decided I enjoy taking part in official races, since it's the only way I push myself to improve. I have three 10Ks and two half marathons under my belt and want to run my first marathon next year (Big Sur, hopefully). Aside from that, my only consistent running goal is to improve my time with each race. 

But I'm not limiting myself to upgrading only my Scout abilities. Since I also have interests in parkour, martial arts and yoga, I intend to work towards developing my Assassin, Monk and Druid abilities as well. I'm likely going to throw in with the Monks for this upcoming 6 Week Challenge. I'm also a big fan of mud runs/obstacle racing. I've done the Muddy Buddy Mud Run, Warrior Dash, Spartan Beast, and the Big Sur Mud Run. I wanted to finally run a Tough Mudder this year, but none of the dates for runs near me seem to line up with my schedule. I'll probably do Urbanathlon instead.

The other thing I'd like to get out of this forum is to simply connect with other nerds working to reach their fitness goals. I have people IRL who I do these things with, but sometimes its fun to sit around waxing nerd with people online. Plus I doubt I could get those people to take part in the whole XP building RPG element of NF. It would also be fun to connect with local nerds to take part in races and parkour training and martial arts and what have you.

Finding motivation to achieve my professional goals (writing and filmmaking, as mentioned above) is another reason I'm here. Mental fitness is just as important as physical fitness. In ten years, I haven't been able to motivate myself into achieving my writing goals, so maybe I can find that motivation to achieve mental fitness here. 

I also have some vague and as-yet-undefined strength training goals, which I'm going to define and work towards as well, but that's less of a priority.

So yeah, that's me. See you on the battlefield, nerds.

Level 0

STR (0)  â€¢  DEX (0)  â€¢  STA (0)  â€¢  CON (0)  â€¢  WIS (0)  â€¢  CHA (0)

Introduction  â€¢  6WC 7/28/14-9/7/14  â€¢  Battle Log

Nike+  •  Strava  •  Fitocracy  •  Twitter  •  Blog - As Is  • Instagram

I am my own avatar.

What up?! Welcome to the Rebellion fellow Nerd!

You have past into a world where other Nerds work to there life goal of not just playing, reading, or watching heroes dominate, but working to become one! :pride:

The next challenge is coming up, hope to see you in it! We here at Nerd Fitness have made life changes because of the encouragement we receive with our problems both physically and mentally. You... :bull_head: , great I sound like my sister. Let me just tell it like it 'tis dude:

Gamers, Video junkies, Bookoholics, whatever type of Nerd there is were here. I joined because I'm a BIG game and book Nerd. Plus, my family are not the healthiest and I have no one to encourage me in my workouts. I already finished my first challenge (D-), and although I could have done a heck of a lot better I gained something better. Friends and a trail a broken bad habits!

You will find that here to! Don't be afraid to talk it out, we all just want to help one another out in our goals.

I will see you at the battlefield! :pirate:

Thanks for the words of welcome! I'm looking forward to nerding out with all of you.

Level 0

STR (0)  â€¢  DEX (0)  â€¢  STA (0)  â€¢  CON (0)  â€¢  WIS (0)  â€¢  CHA (0)

Introduction  â€¢  6WC 7/28/14-9/7/14  â€¢  Battle Log

Nike+  •  Strava  •  Fitocracy  •  Twitter  •  Blog - As Is  • Instagram

I am my own avatar.

Archived