Forums are back in action! ×

Been reading for awhile, but new to the forums. Training for a 10k run!

Hi all!

I've been reading NF for a few months now and finally decided to join the forums.

Currently, my goals are to improve my overall fitness levels.  I was huge into sports back in my high school days but now in my late 20s, things aren't the same.  Just recently got back into basketball, and am now prepping for my first 10km run.  The run is at the end of May and sadly i just started training for it.  Been running for 2 weeks.  I did a 5km run in 35 minutes so now just focusing on increasing the distance with the eventual goal of hitting the 10k mark intime for the run.

Hey! (My best impression of Navi from Ocarina of Time) Welcome to NF!  

Nice goals BTW, so sorry about the procrastination. But at least you are getting out there and not being me, waiting until the deadline arrives and hoping the turn out will be great :redface: ! Have you tried HIIT? I did it when I started running and I noticed an improvement in my distances. Plus, strength training can help to.

I've never ran a race before but I want to. Not a marathon mind you but an obstacle course race, the Zombie 5k to be exact!

Hope to see you in the upcoming challenge!

Hi,

I'm a new member too and I'm at the end of my first week of getting back to running and I'm also managing a similar distance / pace to yours (plus I am a similar age - small world, huh?)  :) . Personally I think your doing really great (but then I would say that wouldn't I  :tongue: ) .

Organised races are great fun - I did my first one last October which was a 10 mile-r on the streets of the city I lived in. I was dead nervous before it but on the day when I was actually running I was so distracted with people watching, the general carnival spirit and the amazing support from fellow runners that I actually just really enjoyed the experience and found it a lot easier than when I had been training by myself. Are you running a road race or hitting the trails?

Totally agree with what LostOne1775 says about the HIIT training. I found it really helped my long distance runs just doing one HIIT session a week for 20 mins max. It wasn't "pretty" by any means but it was worth it.

Archived