Forums are back in action! ×

I'm new, please don't give me a wedgie...

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and I'm verbose, so I'm sorry in advance for the length.

I found Nerd Fitness through the Art of Manliness website, and as a nerd of the prog-rock/AD&D/build-my-own-computer variety, It seemed like this was a great resource to help aid my never-ending struggle for improved health and fitness. I've lurked for a month or so, but mostly on the main page, in the articles, Steve's blog posts, etc. I've not spent very much time in the forums. I'm a wicked introvert. My tendency is to generally avoid people I don't know. Fear of judgement, and all that... 

Over the weekend, I decided to use the month of May to try the Paleo diet, along with Steve's Beginner Body Weight workout 3 days a week and some supplemental running the other 3 days, resting on day 7. I read Saint's story over and over, thinking, here's a guy about my age, about my size, and look what a couple months of focused work and diet control did for him. So, here I am, trying it for myself...

So, why am I on the forums? Like most folks, this isn't my first time at bat, trying to get my health in order. I've been successful with Weight Watchers in the past, but I wasn't exercising, only regulating my diet. I lost weight, but part of that was muscle mass. Then of course, when you stop going to meetings, you gain the weight back, which I did. I suppose I see the community here as my "meeting" to attend every week, to keep myself in check and on track. 

The truth is, I'm scared to death. I've failed at this so many times, I'm terrified I will fail again. None of my close friends have the fitness goals I have, so moral support is about all I can get. They're good people, but they have no desire to crank out 25 pull-ups on demand. Which, incidentally, is one of my goals. Right now, I'm at .75 of a pull-up, so there's work to do.

It seems like this forum is a place where people support each other, don't discourage the already discouraged, and generally promote each other's well-being. My introverted self is screaming "RUN AWAAAAAAAY!!!!!," but I need the support from somewhere, so why not here?

I'll leave you with this nugget of awesome. There's a bike path I use near my office, which looks a lot like this.

http://goo.gl/HCW7f

I was running down the path last week, and realized that on every 4 or 5 yellow bars, someone had painted/stuck to the ground an 8-bit image of a classic NES character. There must be 25 or them, ranging from Zelda, Kung-Fu guy, a metroid, the Blob from a Boy and his Blob, Excitebike....  It struck me as a good omen, that I should be using that path to fulfill my nerd fitness goals. I may rustle up some photos to share, maybe when I'm back out there later this week. 

Thanks for the ear, see you on the boards. 

"if unwilling to rise in the morning, say to thyself, 'I awake to do the work of a man.'"  - Marcus Aurelius

"[...] and having made the attempt, you must succeed in it. 'Must' is the word." - Abraham Lincoln

Not too verbose at all, I thought it was a great intro.  Many of us are introverted but have managed to stick it out here because it is such a great forum.  There will be another challenge starting in early June.  If you click on the CHALLENGE tab and go to the FAQs, you'll find all the info you need to be ready to roll.  You can also, if you like, join the current challenge in progress.  Welcome to NF. 

The hardest part of the workout is lacing up your shoes'"

1011 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Current Challenge |

INTJ | MFP | FitBit

Thanks for the kind words, and also for directing me to the challenge area. I'll keep that in mind as a next step, for when I've completed my first goal of not quitting during the first month! I looked at a number of other folk's introductions, and there are definitely folks who are wordier than I! It's good to know I'm not the only one...

For now, I want so badly to "not fail" at my goal of showing up every day and sticking to the diet. I'm not even concerned with muscle growth, weight loss, etc, in so far as if I keep my commitment to my exercise schedule and dietary guidelines, those things will manifest in some way. I just want to complete the month, knowing I did my part, that I didn't slack off 2 weeks in because it got hard. That's where the forum comes in. Being part of the conversation with others will help me with that.

"if unwilling to rise in the morning, say to thyself, 'I awake to do the work of a man.'"  - Marcus Aurelius

"[...] and having made the attempt, you must succeed in it. 'Must' is the word." - Abraham Lincoln

Welcome to NF! I'm a newbie too :)

As long as you give it your all and keep working at it, you won't fail, you couldn't! Sometimes it'll get hard and you'll feel discouraged but as long as you "get back up on that horse" you'll get to where you want to go. :) 

I believe that you can do this! Think of it as just a matter of time.

Welcome! We all are here to help each other, as we all pick up little things from each other. I see you have already set a few goals, which is great! I know it's hard to put them down for everyone to see because it makes them real, but that is what we want right!?! Oh and don't worry about being verbose, it makes it easier to get your point!

Level 3 - Ranger

Current Challenge: At It Again!

Welcome! Don't worry about being an introvert, the way a friend explained it to me a while back is that just means you look for quality people to be around. In which case I feel extremely complimented that you decided to join us.

Don't worry we'll be there to help you along when you need it. 

Level 5 Orc Citizen Soldier

STR 7.5|DEX 9.5|STA 11|CON 12|WIS 20.5|CHA 8.5

Old Challenges 15/4 3/6 7/25

"Do it now."

There is no failing.

So don't worry about that. Life will get in the way and derail you and just get back to it the next day and for sure take a long term view. S keep on tricking and feel free to change your goals as you get new information and inspiration just keep going.

Hi, there!

Welcome to the rebellion!

I'm not a newbie to the site, I just don't usually have time to pop on the boards and actually post. But I lurk a lot, haha. The NF community is awesome. I don't think I've ever seen a negative comment. So you're in the right place! Congrats on making the decision to level up your life and getting to work on it. I know everyone here is willing to help you out and cheer you on. So feel free to ask questions, big or small, and post more about yourself, your goals, your struggles, anything and everything you feel like :-) I know the introvert issue can be hard to get around, but once you see for yourself how awesome people here can be, I think it'll be a little easier. Either way, people will be here for you to call on whenever you feel the urge to do so.

PS- your wedgie comment made me think... there should be NF underwear. Lol.

Welcome to the Rebellion, we get things done and you will too.

If you're concerned about sticking with things, this article may help you out, it helped me.

A robot's guide to healthy living

I recommend you join the challenge, even though it's 2 and a half weeks through you can still join for the last 3 and a half weeks.

Good to have you aboard, best of luck!

P.S. Here's your wedgie :lol:

wedgie-o.gif

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

I don't do wedgies... but I do do welcomes

I love bicycling :) and that looks like a pretty awesome trail :)

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Welcome to the Rebellion, we get things done and you will too.

If you're concerned about sticking with things, this article may help you out, it helped me.

A robot's guide to healthy living

I recommend you join the challenge, even though it's 2 and a half weeks through you can still join for the last 3 and a half weeks.

Good to have you aboard, best of luck!

P.S. Here's your wedgie :lol:

wedgie-o.gif

Haha! That .gif made my morning, thanks. I never saw Nacho Libre, I'll have to find it on Netflix.

For the challenge, I think that will be a logical next step for when I complete my personal May challenge. I'm spending the month of May trying to build good habits. Specifically, I'm trying to get into Paleo and establish a pattern of exercise during my week. Right now, I'm doing the Beginner Body Weight workout and a Couch to 5k training program on alternating days, with a rest day on Sunday. I'm also taking weekly measurements of hips, waist, biceps, shoulders, thighs, and body fat percentage. And of course, the weekly photo...  My plan for May is simple; just show up and try. Once I prove I can show up and do the work consistently, I will start changing what I do. Although, I am already thinking about my goals for the June challenge, so I feel very good about starting that challenge in a few weeks.

Thank you everyone, for the warm welcome! The encouragement is much appreciated. I may start a thread on the Daily Battle Log area, to keep track of my work. Public support/accountability sure beats the hell out of an Excel spreadsheet...

Thank you everyone, for the warm welcome! The encouragement is much appreciated. I may start a thread on the Daily Battle Log area, to keep track of my work. Public support/accountability sure beats the hell out of an Excel spreadsheet...

There are some here that LOVES them their spreadsheets. I'm not one of them, but I definitely find data to be tasty and delicious...

Welcome!

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Speadsheets have their place, no doubt about it. My problem is I get so busy setting up the borders, and tweaking the fonts, and adjusting the column length, and playing with nifty formulas to calculate all my stuff at once, that I forget why I set it up in the first place. Le sigh...

Also, I got some photos of my 8-bit buddies on my running route. Check it out...

I was all, running along....

post-15883-0-51197900-1367441400_thumb.j

Then I saw this on the road line....

post-15883-0-79529900-1367441399_thumb.j

.... followed by this.....

post-15883-0-27682000-1367441400_thumb.j

..... shortly thereafter, this.

post-15883-0-01172300-1367441400_thumb.j

Clearly, this is a great place to work off nerd rage, and build up my fitness! There must be 20 or 25 of these things plastered up and down the mile. I'll try to get as many photographs as I can, but I thought it was really cool. I have no idea who put them there, but they're great.

Speadsheets have their place, no doubt about it. My problem is I get so busy setting up the borders, and tweaking the fonts, and adjusting the column length, and playing with nifty formulas to calculate all my stuff at once, that I forget why I set it up in the first place. Le sigh...

He said to the graphic designer  :loyal:

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

Archived