Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings, Earthlings

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for a week or so and seeing the regular 6-week challenges that sound like fun convinced me to finally sign up. Guess it's time to tell my story- I've learned that having others out there aware of what you're doing and holding you accountable can be a great motivator.

About me- I'm a helicopter pilot in the US Army, currently in my 3rd year of a desk job not near any helicopters. As a consequence, I had let my weight creep up about 20 pounds in the first two years and I was generally not at the top of my game physically. About a year ago, I got motivated to sign up for a half marathon and trained for months, losing 30 pounds along the way to the November race. I also credit diet, cutting out soda, and a (not that great but a little effective) strength training toward that result.

I lost another 10 pounds between November and March by setting a goal to run my first full marathon, and in under 4 hours, in March. Broadcasting my intentions and training progress to my family held me accountable and on track, and it was probably the biggest contributor to my success. However, in the last three months of marathon training my gym closed for renovations and I did no exercise other than running. Proud to say I did it- never felt so awful and so good simultaneously before.

Since then, I've fallen into the trap of not having a goal to work towards, not keeping it fun, and I just kind of aimlessly ran and pushed some weights around in the gym. I've even gained back ten of those pounds in two months too (though I'm still ahead!).

I've really enjoyed reading about the Rebellion and learning how to set my own goals along the way. Taking a page from Saint's story I might make seeing my abs my goal, to be done before our first baby is born, due November 2. I also am registered for the Marine Corps Marathon on October 28 as a concurrent objective. I think that gives me plenty of time to take part in some of these six-week challenges while keeping up the marathon goal. Strength training over lunch on weekdays, running on evenings and weekends.

Yesterday was my first day of trying out the build-your-own-routine of squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, bench press, and planks. I'm sore today, but I had a good time and am thrilled to be back working towards a goal.

Time to delve into some character creation next- I'm probably a Hobbit Scout who yearns to be a Ranger. We'll see how that pans out! Looking forward to joining the next challenge, and see you out there.

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

Welcome Nerd!

Future Marine here! I looked up the Marine marathon and...whoa! It looks really long, I'm looking at obstacle course races for my first run. The strength training will definitely burn fat faster and adding a really good diet and you will see those abs in no time!

Thanks! Yeah I started this distance stuff to lose weight, before discovering and reading more on Nerd Fitness. Since I've already paid the race fee, I'll make a go at it, and it's a great goal to have to finish a marathon. However it'll probably be my last, because the amount of training required really eats into my schedule and quality of life, and did a number on my diet to keep the energy up. Might stick to half marathons for the future- it's a good enough distance to be challenging, yet I rarely need to devote more than an hour at a time to training and don't need to substantially alter my diet.

Obstacle courses look like a lot of fun. I've always wanted to try one like the "Tough Mudder:" It's like 10 miles long, obstacles are designed by former military special forces, and it's a teamwork event- no clocks or timing, and you're supposed to help others along the way. Maybe that'll be my goal next year :)

Level 4 Woodchuck

STR 12 | DEX 9.5 | STA 8.5 | CON 8 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 9

Current challenge: UH60guy seeks his Groundhog Day

Previous challenges: 4 3 2 1

Archived