Forums are back in action! ×

Dog Brush HELP!!

Ba'sini'on

I own two Great Pyrenees and their hair needs to be brushed everyday, especially in the summer. Their hair is really long and REALLY thick, so most of the rake brushes I've purchased break in a short period of time.

What I really need is a rake brush with teeth long enough to get to all the hair under the guard hair. Preferably one that has survived a Newfoundland.  

Any suggestions?

Here are the boys BTW:

The Boys

LOL, trust me I would have shaved them a long time ago! But they will apparently lose their natural hefty winter coat if I do.

And I just love my Fluffy Numins Coco Butter!!

I've had good luck with this style brush on long haired critters, but Pyrenes I've never groomed. Generally animals with a long dense coat like this need daily brushing to keep it under control and actually benefit from a blow dyer (on cool) being passed over an area to fluff it up prior to brushing. I know at dog shows you can find the Pyrenes and other long haired dogs by following the sound of the blow driers.

Human Adventurer

Str: 3 | Dex: 2 | Sta:2 | Con:3 | Wis:3 | Cha:2

I've got no strings to hold me down, to make me smile or make me frown...

I thought it was Nummy Muffin CooCoo Butter???

Yes it was, but these dogs aren't nummy their fluffy :playful: !

I've seen the furminator before but it's way to expensive and I don't want to spend a butt load of money on something that could break in a couple of months. These dogs get mats, and unidentified things in their fur because they're outside most of the day.

And my budget is...well you know those machines you put a quarter in? That's my spending amount :nonchalance:

Quality but cheap, that's my motto

Totally agree on the Furminator.  I've got a long haired cat who's fur would own cheaper brushes.  I finally gave in and got a Furminator and can successfully brush him without the brush yanking at him and/or breaking.  It was an upfront investment but I've saved in the amount of brushes I haven't been replacing since then.  And the ebay route would make it cheaper.  That looks just like a Furminator to me.

Have you tried using a shedding blade? I have a mutt who's probably mostly eskimo - and he sheds like no other dog I've ever seen. You need to sit outside to do it since it gets dog fur everywhere, but it really helps thin out the coat by pulling out all the hair that's just stuck in there. I also use a regular brush, and a long-toothed comb.

I tried a shedding blade once, but it didn't reach far enough to get all the underhair. That's why I switched to an undercoat rake, but as mentioned they break after a short period. When I mean break BTW I mean the handle comes off because of all the pulling.

Even then I had to work twice as hard to get all the hair, that's why I was hoping there is a "magic" brush or rake that can reach through the mass of hair without a problem.

Archived