Forums are back in action! ×

These are not the pecs you're looking for.

I always feel hella awkward writing these introductory missives, but here goes nothin'. 

Hey there. Glenn here. I'm 23, live in Chicago, and currently looking for a job after a brief stint as a public school teacher this last year. Unemployment sucks financially, but one unexpected boon has been a whole lot of free time to work on someone who hasn't gotten a lot of attention since going to college: me.

Last month I started the Whole30 diet, which is basically a month of zero-exceptions strict Paleo. In addition to eating healthier and wiser, I've now conquered my fear of buying and making food which doesn't come in a box. Snaps for me. Even though the month is over, it's had a permanent effect on my attitude towards food and cooking, and has been a stupendous change. 

Now that I'm fighting the diet dragon, I've picked up another sword to dual-wielding against another bugbear - my personal fitness. I've been reading articles on this website for several weeks, and find the at-home body-weight exercises to be challenging and oddly-satisfying in a primal way. I've been a member of my gym for a year, but always find excuses not to go despite it's proximity. It's a lot harder to escape a home workout. And while I can use the lat pull-down and pec deck machines till I'm blue in the face, I have to master even a mediocre set of pull-ups. A new challenger appears!

I have a unique kind of curse which never gains me any sympathy (for good reason): No matter how much I slack off from the gym, I always maintain a fairly tight lean physique (<22 BMI, skinny boy abs, yadda yadda). I was a runner in high school and grew up on a farm, which had me fit at an early age and weight was never a problem. Since going to college my appearance and weight hasn't changed much. BUT I've definitely gotten weaker, and am not half the athlete I once was. Despite the fact that I still look fit (although less defined than I have been), I know that I am not, and want to be stronger again.

Sure, gettin' swole and looking good is awesome, but my real goal is to be stronger and heather so I can live a longer and more energetic life - although I certainly wouldn't object to also getting a body like Chris Hemsworth while I'm at it (swoon). 

So there you go. Me in a nutshell. Can't wait to read a lot of the new and insightful things you Fit Nerds have to post on here, and I hope that in time I can contribute too.

EDIT: Forgot to say what makes me a nerd! I'd say my nerdiness has somewhat diminished since high school, but I've always been a huge fan of all the big Sci-Fi/Fantasy franchises (Star Wars, Star Trek, LOTR), and often intersperse obscure quotes from these in my everyday argot. am a big Nintendo fanboy as wel, and even now half the shelves in my apartment are dedicated to displaying various Transformers, Gameboy/N64 games, Pokemon cards, etc. Band geek as well (Trumpet!). 

Welcome Welcome! Here is your completmentary Nerd fitness foam finger! :D Fitting for fitness because it is a foam finger and also nerdy because of the built in grappling hook! Nice to have you on board! -salutes-

Extra question: Star Wars OR Star Trek? which is better? >XD

~Nara~

Art Elemental Adventurer Lvl. 1

STR-6 | DEX-2.5 | STM-3 | CON-4 | WIS-9 | CHR- 4.5

Intro | Misadventures

Challenges:

Doodle Quest Vol.1

Welcome. You sound just like a friend I know. He has the same body type and has a washboard abdomen, even though he looks like an elf. I come from the same place emotionally, though I have a different body type - predisposition to become fluffy. Currently, I'm a Care Bear.

Also, great picture of Hemsworth. *swoon* is right, though I have read he's not really happy with the regimen he has to go through in order to look like Thor.

Speaking of Star Wars. What do you think of the sequels coming along? I love the movies, but I find that the franchise has been pushed a bit too much in my face.

Level 1 - Adventurer (Cthulhu in dusguise, but don't mind me)

STR: 2 І DEX: 1 І STA: 1 І CON: 2 І WIS: 5 І CHA: 4

Be mindful of your Self-Talk. It's a conversation with the universe.

Hello and welcome !

Great objective Thor's body :) almost a full time job for him it seemed to be ! but start small, thing big nothing will be impossible

Star wars FTW !!! (Don't hit me, I even like the last ones :))

About the next films, they have to use others part of the universe. There are so many characters and authors that they shouldn't focus on Skywalkers.

If you take all Marvel movies (counting the ones to come), there are almost 20 (6 xmen and spinoff, 4 spiderman, 3 ironman, 2 thor, 2 captain america, 2 avengers...)

There is still room for Star Wars movies, if they are well done

But it have to be given by a director who is genuinally a starwars fan, like Joss Whedon  was a comicbooks fan

I cross the fingers

All the best to you SartesWaiter and do not hesitate to ask if you need smth

Saiyan in preparation - level 1 : http://streetworkout-france.fr/?p=1230

Drow Monk-Assassin

Intro post

My Battle log

Welcome Glenn! wow well done on completing Whole30. Question: favourite primal meal?

Level 2 Imp. Assassin at heart, training with the Adventurers - Challenges: 1 , 2(Current)STR 3 | DEX 1 | STA 6 | CON 4,75 | WIS 4,5 | CHA 3,75

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West

Welcome to the dark side SW.

Time to start planning your goals for your first challenge (should you chose to except it).

Check out the challenge threads and the stickies for some ideas.

Good luck on your journey.

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

Archived