Forums are back in action! ×

Let me introduce myself

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to tell everyone a little about myself. My name is Aston and I am a student at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV, which, ironically, we are the "Running Rebels"). I have been going to school in Vegas for a while now and I am about to graduate with a degree in Management Information Systems. I am originally from Orange County, California. I grew up there my whole life, but I always loved Vegas ever since I was a child and wanted to go there for school.

Like everyone here, I'm a nerd. I am a huge computer geek. I've been tinkering with all sorts of technology ever since I was little. On top of that, I used to be heavily involved in the performing arts; acting, singing, dancing, etc. I actually went to a performing arts school in high school and was originally a theater major in my first year of college. I was good at it too, I got multiple awards for acting and singing, but I decided it made more sense to go into computers since the potentially to strike it big there rather than being a performer was drastic.

My body isn't that bad, but isn't all that great. Lots of people tell me that I'm skinny, but really I know I have more fat than I should (and the doctor agrees, so it's not like I'm being paranoid). I've had a pretty average body all my life, and my weight fluctuates a lot, but still stays at about an average to overweight size (based on BMI at least). I'm pretty lucky, however, as the rest of my family is pretty overweight, especially my brothers. I'm closer to weight with my mom, whose also just slightly overweight, where as my dad and brothers are overweight to obese. I guess I lucked out in getting the metabolism genes, because I eat just as much as my brothers do, but I'm not their size. Currently, I'm hovering between 190lbs and 200lbs. I'm 6 feet tall. Last summer, I was in the same exact situation, but last summer I decided to go on the South Beach diet. It worked! I had lost 25 pounds in 2 weeks and went down to 175lbs that summer. Well, old habits die hard, and I stopped the diet and gained the weight back.

In terms of working out, I have always been interested in getting a better body. Mostly in high school, I wanted to get in shape, I just didn't know how. I joined sites like SparkTeens (a division from the site SparkPeople) and talked to people, but I couldn't really get a consistent flow of how to work out.

In college, I started to become more proactive, I got a personal trainer at the school gym and started to learn the ropes. I made great progress with him, and he actually uses me as an example now because I gained muscle in every aspect of my body at the end of our long semester session. I didn't really transform, per se, I just built up a little foundation to start with. I stopped seeing the trainer after the semester, because they do get expensive. Well, as life gets in the way with having a computer intensive job, trying to be part of a fraternity, full time student, and whatever else have you, I always seemed to push working out on the side. Just recently, however, I became really close friends with two guys that really knew how to work out and had the bodies to prove it. They are always hyped because they want me to transform into a crazy, nerdy, stud. They are great friends.

Problems started to arise though. while their motivation was there, and they have certainly helped me out a lot, I just simply didn't have the drive that they had. It was only until one of my friends was frustrated with me and asked me "what is you goal? what are you trying to do?" and I didn't have an answer. It was at that moment that I realized that the only way I was going to get the results I wanted was to find them out myself. While I always wanted to have a nice body (I mean, who doesn't?) I didn't have the motivation or drive to do so.

And it some respects, I still don't. I make up excuses like "Oh, I'm sick" or "I'm too busy with exams" and my friends would get frustrated with me because I am missing the gym and eating poorly so much. Even now, I said this week I would go to the gym and start a diet and what not, but I still haven't. Partially, though, is because this week is the first week we are done with classes and everyone is celebrating the beginning days of summer vacation. I don't want to start a diet when everyone is planning to go out drinking!

Anyways, I've been reading up on Nerd Fitness for a while now, after I came to the realization that I need to find the motivation myself. I've read up on a lot of articles, seen various videos, and subscribed to the newsletter, but I never really been as proactive as I can be.

Well I want to change that. Mostly, I came to the realization that no mater who is backing me up and helping me, it doesn't matter because the sole person who is going to get me through this is myself. And that was always the problem, I didn't know where to look or what to do. I always just wanted someone else to tell me what to do, and I'd do it. But after many years of being just about the same size and weight, I'm realizing that I need to come up with these things myself.

So, this is my first post here, but maybe not my last. I am planning out a whole system for getting to the goals I want, complete with schedules for everything that I need as well as a proper diet and work out regimen. I also plan on recording EVERYTHING along the way, with the help of my wonderful technology! I will probably aim to make weekly posts with my progress. It will be a test to see if I will stop my poor and lazy habits. This summer, I plan to change all that. I know it's possible (I saw that when I lost 25lbs on just dieting last summer), I just need to get out there and do it!

I am hoping that I can finally realize that dream of becoming a nerdy stud. I know my workout friends certainly want to see that of me! Anyways, it's nice to be part of the rebellion and I look forward to interacting with everyone!

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

I'm all for more Nerdy studs :chuncky: , even though the Big Bang Theory guys are smart and funny doesn't mean all Nerds should aspire to look like them.

I will definitely be following your progress! You sound like you are making a sure plan to lose the weight and look amazing. If you need motivation try something physical, I have dog tags that remind me of my goal to get into the Marines. I know some people who have printed out their goals and carry them everywhere, or having a set of clothes they want to fit in, you know stuff like that.

Archived