Forums are back in action! ×

Ready to make a change that sticks

Hi all.  My name is Amanda and I found this site just by doing a Google search for nerd fitness (I actually had no idea there was a website with said name until that Google search).

My basic stats are as follows:

Height: 5" 8" tall

Weight: 175 - 180 lbs (I seem to fluxuate a bunch every day)

My biggest vice right now are snack foods and soda.  I also like watching lots of TV (I am watching some Tom Baker era Doctor Who as I write this) and spending lots of time on the internet.  I also work a desk job pushing papers around all day so needless to say I pretty much sit on my rear end all day, both at work and at home.

I've tried a few things to get into shape but haven't had much success... I've been trying to count calories, but I always seem to slip back in to old habits rather quickly with the junk food.  Just last night those Goldfish crackers on sale at the supermarket were calling my name and I actually gave in and bought them. :grumpy:   I've also been trying to get out and walk more, but it's hard to get out and walk when it's pouring rain or snowing (I should also mention that I'm too cheap and self conscious to get a gym membership).

By being here I'm hoping to learn ways to eat better and exercise without having to break the bank.  I also want to feel better about myself by the time I go on my Disney vacation in December (yes, I'm a huge kid at heart too).

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

Welcome to Nerd fitness!

I'm a big kid at heart to, after all there is no age limit on enjoying things kids happen to like.

LOL I've never thought of Googling Nerd anything, I used to be a closet Nerd until I joined NF. Now I'm proud to be a Nerd! Are you going to be in the next challenge? And have you thought about alternatives to walking? Like bodyweight, HIIT, jump rope, etc. You don't necessarily have to go to a gym in order to workout.

Good luck! And feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

To answer your questions:

Are you going to be in the next challenge? I'm definitely thinking about it!  I have wicked ADHD so sometimes I need to make goals into games otherwise I lose interest in what I'm doing really quick.

And have you thought about alternatives to walking? Like bodyweight, HIIT, jump rope, etc.  I used to jump rope wayyyyy back in the day (meaning elementary school) and I loved it but sadly I have nowhere to jump rope these days.  But I am looking at doing some weight training and HIIT to help with getting into shape.  Next weekend my goal is to clear out my spare bedroom so my boyfriend and I both have a place fore daily workouts.  I never thought to alternate HIIT with strength training until I was poking around on this website!  Yep, I'm a total newbie to exercise here!

I already have an alter ego in my head of who I'd like to be and how I'd like to feel, but it's been so tough to work toward where I want to be when the TV and junk food are staring me down in the face!  Just getting up and walking was a huge step for me and now I realize that I need to take more baby steps to get to where I want to be.  I also know if what I'm doing isn't fun that I won't stick with it, hence the reason why I'm here.

:strawberry: GolfCart34 :strawberry:

Twitter | FaceBook | Instagram

*I'm not the type of person who is scared of something.  If something is going to happen it's meant to be. - Kimi Raikkonen*

*We have to remember these days.  We have to enjoy them while they last.  You should never lose the passion and the joy and always remember the days when you were just dreaming of these things happening.  For all of us it is important just to enjoy the moment and realize there is more time later on in our lives to realize what it meant. - Sebastian Vettel*

Archived