Forums are back in action! ×

Ready to roll!

Hi there!

My name is Anu, I'm 22 years old and currently living and working in Finland. I've always been doing sports of some kind, but never too seriously. Right now I'm living my life as never before, which keeps me very inspired.

Long story short: I graduated from high school, started studying at a good university, and found out a year later that oh shite, I actually hate what I'm doing. That's when I decided to drop out for a year and do the voluntary military service for women. I served in the air defence and returned home a year later as a second lieutenant.

I tried to return to the uni life in Jan 2013, but guess what... I still felt like I was in a completely wrong place. Luckily, I got a part-time job that allowed me to support myself. Out of spite I applied for a summer job in the navy, and to my utter surprise got the place. I have a three-month contract and high hopes of renewing it at the end of summer.

So, what am I doing here, then? I drifted out of my aikido training of seven years for several reasons, and just realised I miss training something five days a week. Right now I have the summer to decide what I want to do come August, but I know it's going to be something new. Rugby, Brasilian jiujitsu and underwater rugby are my top-3 choices at the moment. Meanwhile, I will work on my cooper results (2564m this May) and defeating a sneaky dread of high places.

My plan is to exceed 2650 meters in cooper by the end of August. Due to the nature of my job, I will also get a lot of exercise with the recruits. I'm looking forward to improving in all those things I used to hate (soccer, baseball and such) and familiarizing myself with parkour.

I confess, I've shunned all kinds of diets for years, but now have decided to give Paleo a shot. I'm not overweight, but I have a history of knee problems and would like to drop a few kilos to spare my joints, since I truly love running. I also quit smoking exatly six months ago (haven't regretted a day!) :)

Glad to be here!

Welcome!

That's cool! Your in the military, I'm trying to get fit to join the Marine Corps! I know what you mean about feeling in the wrong place with school and universities in general. My parents (like most) want me to go back to school to get a degree, but I don't right about going through all that hassle again. I feel more at home when I'm around the military, like I was meant to be there.

Underwater rugby?! Didn't know there was such a thing, I'm going to look that up! Baseball!! Gotta love me some baseball!!

Congrats on quitting smoking! That will definitely give you a leg up in Parkour and running in gerenal.

Archived