Forums are back in action! ×

not a newbie, just here for support/motivation

Hey, I'm Simon, 23, from Liverpool, England.

For many years I have had fluctuations in weight, due to laziness (weight gain) or illness (I suffer from Crohn's Disease, hence weight loss). Due to living the student lifestyle here in England, I've reached a point of needing change.

I'm not big/fat, it's more a case of just getting into shape, eat well and get my fitness to a good level. When I catch myself in a mirror or window I see a love handle protruding from under a tshirt or an ill-fitting pair of shorts, it essentially ruins my mood and rest of the day.

Despite my struggles, I am quite knowledgeable on the science and formalities of weight loss and fitness, but I have never put it into true action. As of two weeks ago I decided to start eating right and sorting myself out. Here are my aims:

Lose 10kg in 12 weeks (80kg to 70kg)

From 36" waist to 32" 20 weeks

15% bodyfat (28 weeks)

I realise for sure that those are WILDLY optimistic, hence why the time periods can be deleted. I have stopped my constant drinking, drinking only water and milk. I essentially eat chicken/prawn + veggie stirfrys and poached eggs most of the time. I play football (soccer to you lot) once a week and I used to run 16km a week when I was living in Spain, but I had a partner who motivated me then. The issue is that I'm one who needs motivation and support. My support circle isn't very good (in fact probably classed as destructive at best).

I was very anal at the start, tracking all my protein/carbs/fat intakes and matching them to ideal percentages of weight loss, food diaries. These all just made me want to drill a hole in my head. So now I'm just eating well.

My problem is mainly that my self-worth is low, and as a result makes me self-destructive with regards to food and drink. I need support, and guidance in simplifying what I'm doing, and a little push when I need it.

Sorry for the MASSIVE thread y'all.

Hi there Simon,
Best of luck to you on your goals.  I can understand and empathize with a lot of what you have described.  What seems to be working for me is to change that voice in my head. Instead of focusing on what I dislike about myself I try to remind myself of what my body can do.  For example, I can now dead lift 98.2 kilos for the first time ever.  Making sure I mark those milestones and remind myself of my progress keeps me from punishing myself by binging on junk food or booze.  Try meetups and join a hiking group or maybe try krav or crossfit if any of these are available in your area.  And anytime you need support definitely hit the interwebs or outrun those negative comments. 

Hey there!

Even if you can't find support where you are, you still can get to your goals! I don't have anyone to help me out where I live, but my friends here on NF have really helped me push myself to keep going.

My friend Synyster has Crohn's Disease also he recently wrote an e-book on how he's dealt with it, give him a PM if you need some help or tips, he's really cool!

Prawn? What's that taste like?

Are you going to join the current challenge?

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Thanks very much for the welcome guys and the advice.

Prawn is how us English say shrimp! I usually fry them in chili, garlic salt and a bit of orange juice. absolutely lovely.

As for the crohn's, I haven't struggled with it since I got my current treatment, but I always look for ways of improving it, I'll be sure to drop Synyster a PM :)

I think the fact that I've joined this means I am less likely to fall of the wagon. If I have support from people here then I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm already super motivated after reading some things here.

What exactly is the current challenge? Haven;t really had time to look around!

Archived