Forums are back in action! ×

Bien le bonjour !

Hello there ! As some of you can guess, I'm french ! I'm a 18 years old guy, currently in bachelor's degree about computer science. I live in North ( yeah, you know, the part of France with the grumpy weather of England ( I'm joking eh, don't take it wrong ! ) )

I came here because of several minor health issues. I'm a huge fan of mountain biking ( Mostly enduro or cross country ) and about 2 years ago, I was rather proud of my physical capacities ( I was then a half-elf scout ! ) and trained with my best buddy. Well, that was in high school, and time goes by.

Thanks to genetics, I have weaker heart and lungs than average people, but several medics told my that, with a minimum training, they could be both in perfect healthy condition. That's when I started to bike with my by-the-time mentor, my best friend. Quickly enough, we'd both have the same endurance, riding sometime to 14 hours in the week end, and 4 hours in the week. Actually, my hearth was strong and my lungs could bear running at 60% of maximum capacity for 1 km.

Thanks to a douche, I had a big injury to the knee way before that, and that moved my kneecap to a bad position. Well, that's still here, 8 years later. With the bike training, my knee would hurt only on really cold days or when I was walking for hours and hours without sitting. I need to see my doctor in order to know if I can do something special to help me with that. ( Don't think my knee is broken forever, huh. It's just that the kneecap is weirdly a bit too much on the interior of my knee. I think I can do something as getting my knee stronger to overpass this )

Past year, I entered college. Which was a great thing ! I really love what I do and the people I work with ( Teachers and students as well, we all are geeks and nerds ) but on the other hand, I don't see my friend as much as we did before. We used to ride our bikes every week, now we do that about one or two times a semester. Well, I can understand he has a lot of work ( He's in a preparatory class ( I think that's the name in English ? ) ) and he can't ride like before.

But I have to blame myself.

I didn't train at all ! My lungs and heart are now weaker than before, I can barely run on 200 meters. My knee hurt so bad now that I have to sit a lot ! And that just by walking in a mall for half an hour. I kinda hate me for being so lazy.

And I have found my goal, thanks to Nerd Fitness ( and also Kick Ass 2. The main actor was an average joe in the first film, and in Kick Ass 2 that's like he evolved like a Pokémon ! That's a motivator ! ) :

I weight 77 Kg for 1,90 meters. I think that's a good ratio, but I look floppy. I don't have much fat, nor muscle. I define myself as a Half-elf because I'm not underweight nor overweight, but everyone I know thinks I should eat a sandwich. That's because I have an elongated silhouette. Which makes me a half-elf.

My goal isn't to change how I look. I don't really care because I love myself as I am ( my girlfriend too ! ) I just know I can improve that. Mostly, I want to and will be capable of running a bit ( Even if running bores me. Maybe I'm not doing it right ? And running too much could not be so good for my knee for now ), walk for hours without needing a sit like an old man => Train my heart and my lungs.

And of course I want to be capable of riding my bike like a crazy man as I used to do.

Thanks for reading my novel :) !

Level 2 Hylian Monk

STR | DEX | STA | CON | WIS | CHA

3    |   2    |    3   |    2     |   1    |   2

Current quest (HEMA)

Second quest First quest

Battle log

Welcome Lindt! Knees are tricky. My family members who have painful knees sometimes bulk up their training with swimming laps. I would think this would be good for developing lung capacity too, but not sure how the pool chemicals and humidity would affect your breathing. Running would definitely be hard on your knee, but you might try water running (though if you think running outside is boring...).

No reason why you can't ride your bike solo, is there? Get back in the saddle man, you can do it!

Level 2 Human Druid

3.375 STR / 1.375 DEX / 0 STA / 2 CON / 3.75 WIS / 1 CHA

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was within me an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." - R. Buckminster Fuller

Introduction - Daily Battle Log - Challenges 1 - Current

Thanks mate ! As you said, knees and running are not very good friends. I will test today if I can run without getting hurt, but if that's the case, I will change my mind and train on my bike and in the pool ! ( In fact, I live 3 streets away from the pool. Yeah, that's laziness ! Well it's closed at the moment but in September I will look infos about fidelity and prices ! )

Yup, I just bought a brand new bicycle pump ! I lost the other -_- Yeah, that's possible. I didn't know. I just fixed some things on my bike and I think tomorrow it's going to be bike-day !

Level 2 Hylian Monk

Current quest (HEMA)

Second quest First quest

Battle log

Bienvenue :D

I wish you luck for the running without getting hurt part. My knees are fine but my ankles are a mess. I hurt myself badly everytime I try to start running. (first a sprain, two weeks ago a bad knot in my calf muscle that doesn't want to leave.. Graaah). Some says that strong legs muscles can protect the knee, not sure if it would be really helpful in your case but it's still an idea to dig.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Merci Nuala :D ! Actually I ran this morning and that didn't hurt at all. I think warmup made the running possible, maybe I should warm up before walking ? I'll see next time I go for a long walk !

I had a friend with a serious injury to the knee, one of his ligament broke some years ago, but he could walk and run as everyone else because of his strong legs muscles after some month of training, so I'll try to dig there, for sure !

Level 2 Hylian Monk

Current quest (HEMA)

Second quest First quest

Battle log