Forums are back in action! ×

The Wrong Kind of Nerd?

Hello and hello!

I’m Brekke (like breakfast), and I’m TOTALLY new to Nerd Fitness, fitness generally, and this kind of nerd-ery. I’m not a gamer, so I’m lost with all this lingo. Eeep! (y’all help me out…)

But, I’m a TOTAL Whovian (srsly – I’m going to see the 50th anniversary episode in 3D!!), and a writer, theater kid (hence the techie), Nerd Fighter (oh the internet), and generally couch potato.

I’ve recently moved to California from the Deep South and decided that with a new chapter of life opening up I wanted to make some life-long changes. Thus, Providence sent me to Nerd Fitness.

I work at a university, so I have access to a pretty kickin’ gym. And I have a student who’s training to be a trainer (great luck, right?). AND I am taking Pilates classes. So, trying to find a nice balance of free weights/stretching & Core/cardio (ugh, I hate cardio). Right now I have a 4 day-a-week plan. And I walk to work (just under 1 mile each way).

Amazingly, before I started weightlifting last week, in 2.5 months (without trying hard) I lost 15 lbs. FTW!

Goals:

I turn 28 at the end of February (where does the time go?) and I’m wanting to get down to what I weighed in high school (that's not the end goal, but it's a good starting place). That’s a 20 lb weight loss (which I don’t expect to happen in 3 months). I’m hoping for 12 lbs of weight loss, and a focus on increased strength and stamina.

I want to be able to do an unassisted pull up (so not happening at the current moment).

I want to be able to bench press the bar, which is 45 lbs (currently doing 20lbs dumbbell presses).

I want to be able to run a mile without any walking (yeah, it’s like run for 3 minutes, walk for 3 minutes right now, ha).

I think these are all achievable goals. I mean, why set yourself up to FAIL? That sucks.

I’m a vegetarian, so if y’all have insights on “clean†eating for those of us who don’t eat animals, let me know! :)

Cheers y’all!

Level 7 Valkyrie Scout

STR 8 | DEX 7 | STA 10 | CON 7.5 | WIS 13 | CHA 12

Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th
Battle Log

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot

Heya! Welcome to NF!

Let me begin by saying I love your name!

And don't worry not everyone in NF is a gamer, some of us are math, book, RP, Trekkies, Star Wars, Tolkein, science, etc. Nerds! I'm a gamer, music,  movie, Batman, gross and nasty stuff, medical, all things about Death kind of Nerd :P I also like Doctor Who but I wouldn't consider myself a total Whovian.

Your goals look great, are you going to be in the upcoming challenge?

I'm in CA to! Are you in Southern or Northern CA?

Well, I'm not a vegetarian but there is forum on NF for any questions related to vegetarians. Also the Druids usually consist of vegetarians, they can help you out with any questions.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions! Nice to meet ya!