Forums are back in action! ×

Recommended books on 'Zen'

Zen and the art of motorcycle repair.

• Like 1

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

The Three Pillars of Zen is an excellent book that describes Zen practice and then goes into the experiences of several individuals as they work toward and achieve enlightenment. The people in the book are from quite varied walks of life, and their first hand accounts are fascinating. It's been many years since I read it, but I think I'll pick it up again.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is more narrative fiction, and isn't about Zen, but involves Zen like philosophy.

You can also read the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying (Not the Book of the Dead, which is different) which isn't specifically about Zen (rather Tibetan Buddhism) but which can give you a very insightful look into Buddhist view point and spirituality. It will also make you feel good.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

The Tao of Pooh  touches on Zen, along with Buddhism in general.  Very easy to read, but introduces a lot of the deeper concept that you will read about in an introduction to Eastern Philosophy class.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

But isn't that actually Taoism as opposed to Buddhism - or Zen, specifically?

You are correct.  But the book touches on both Buddhism and Confucianism on the way to explain the Tao.  And in my limited experience this book has seemed to be pretty good intro for someone who has little exposure to any Eastern philosophy.  I personally feel that Zen Buddhism "feels" similar to Taoism as well.

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Yeah, it's definitely a good choice no matter what.

Think I'm going to find a copy and retread it as a little pick me up!

So glad you suggested it.

You are correct.  But the book touches on both Buddhism and Confucianism on the way to explain the Tao.  And in my limited experience this book has seemed to be pretty good intro for someone who has little exposure to any Eastern philosophy.  I personally feel that Zen Buddhism "feels" similar to Taoism as well.

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

I'm not an expert in this but I do know that Thich Nhat Hanh, a zen Buddhist monk, is a pretty popular author.

http://www.amazon.com/Thich-Nhat-Hanh/e/B000AP5YRY

Can't really recommend any books in particular, but I love reading quotes of his.

Being Peace is a great book by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Buddhism Without Beliefs by Stephen Batchelor is a great introduction to the philosophy of Buddhism as a lifestyle without a lot of religious dogma.