Forums are back in action! ×

Lifestyle changes! First time for everything..

My names Ian and I am here to make lifestyle changes. I am also new to forums so excuse my ignorance.

That being said, I'd like to say that I have read many articles and posts between all the NF sites and I am just amazed at the support that is out there. My story is nothing short of boring, but it's mine. I have always been a slim guy that never really did any physical activity (except the occasional skating) Well, now into my mid 20's and after 6 years of a banking desk job...I have become unhappy with the "skinny fat" I've become. I currently am unemployed as I was laid off from that bank job in March. I am in college to become a Radiologic Technologist (which is the fancy word for X-ray tech) So I think I get decent physical activity there compared to my old job. I graduate in June and HOPE to have a job as diet changes can be expensive and I am unemployed. My partner of five years is supporting us and he finds it hard to make such drastic changes right now. I want to prove him wrong. For BOTH of our sakes. Wish me luck!

My first goal was to quit smoking cigarettes. I just celebrated my 6 months smoke free last Sunday (YAY!) I have done surprisingly well for it. I barely have cravings and I have no desire for cigarettes.

On to my next goal - clean up my diet. I eat like crap. I knew it was the biggest factor for me. I have a great metabolism. If I just ate right, I wouldn't have a problem getting fit. Now, I just have the implement these small changes to make them habit. I started cutting out soda (which really wasn't that hard) I'd rather drink water than anything. It is HOT in Florida, so water is the only thing that doesn't make me sick in the heat. Now I just have to keep up with the no soda. Next, I am trying to implement more vegetables as they are my hardest obstacle. I have done okay. I like smoothies and I have no trouble putting tons of kale and spinach in those. I love spinach on its own though. Wish me luck in that department! My end goal for my diet is Paleo. Maybe not completely, but my biggest is no grains. I think those are the worst for the human body. I am researching lots of farmers markets in my area. My biggest concern is that I am very financially unstable at the moment. Any suggestions on eating better on a budget? I've done lots of research here too. Working on collecting all the information for a budget/shopping list. My honest realistic goal for my diet is at least MORE good food than not by my graduation (June 27th) and fully cleaned by the end of the year. I may even try cold turkey Paleo for a month to see if I can do it. Wish me luck!

So future goals do include more exercising but I want to focus on my diet first. Make that my lifestyle first. My partner and I love to skate (although we don't do it very often anymore) so I want that to be included in my regime. I would like to build muscle too, but this is clearly in the future. Like I said, my diet is my first obstacle. I want to succeed...so one thing at a time. Again, wish me luck!

I am hoping I can use this forum for my accountability because I really have no one else to rely on. I am so anti-social in person because, lets face it...people typically suck. haha just kidding...maybe.

I want to say thank you to everyone that has posted things already as they have helped me gain confidence to do something. I'd also like that thank everyone in advance that will be there to support me. I hope to make some new friends here. 

Ian

• Like 2

Hi Ian!

I think you´re spot on with focusing on your diet to start with. You wanted some tips on eating better on a budget, two words: Root vegetables! They are cheap, and if you cook them in the oven, they are delicious. 

See you in the forums!

// Victor

Level 3: Ninja

Current Challenge with the Druids (Nov 2nd-dec 13th)

Every man I meet, is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. Emerson

Hello! And welcome to NF!

I know what you mean dude, I'm anti social to. Ultimately I'll get out there and say hi and play it up, but at the end of the day I like to be by myself most of the time. And that's because I've mainly met really awful people who've hurt me, so yeah, people suck. But Nerds are awesome :)

Frozen veggies are also a cheap alternative, along with making foods that are big for leftovers. So you don't have to create something new every night. And although Paleo calls for organic or grass fed, the reality is it's expensive or not available everywhere. I would look for sales, do research on recipes (I have a notebook with me full of recipes so if there's a sale on veggies or meat, I know what I can make), and try them out. You don't want to spend a fortune on organic items, and make something you don't really like. And jumping into Paleo will be better if you know you didn't dish out the cash just to eat healthy.

WOOT! Gotta love throwing things in the blender and flipping the switch! I add frozen veggies, tomatoes, nuts, whatever is around as long as it's not seasoned or salted. Always tastes great!

If you have any questions or just wanna chat feel free to PM me!

Love your enthusiasm! I am good with people (Banking taught me that) I just don't like people. (my dad taught me that lol) I prefer to chill at home. So all of my exercising has been at home body weight exercises.

I pretty much use frozen fruit at the moment. I will be checking out a farmers market as I've heard it's cheaper. My kale is fresh, but not organic. I also haven't ever really used organic or grass fed meat. My roommate buys organic stuff for all of us sometimes (but she lives off healthy choice meals, yuck) I could try to tell her she's wrong but she is one of those people who are ALWAYS right. So I can use that occasionally.

I'm hoping to implement these changes soon..real soon!

• Like 1