Forums are back in action! ×

Cue the theme music.

I'm a 22 year old from Dallas. New to lifting and healthy living in general.

I had my first child (a boy!) last May and managed to put on seventy pounds in the process of baking him. I was pretty disappointed when he came out weighing much less than that. Over the past eleven months, I've lost it all but I'm left with a body vastly different than the one I started with. I started dieting and working out at the beginning of the year in an attempt to remedy this. I did the usual routine - fad diets, restrictive to the point that when I'd slip up I'd lose all control and then inhale everything around me like Kirby; gym workouts where I'd walk in, tinker with a bunch of weight machines and then dejectedly walk on the treadmill after getting overwhelmed; and overanalyzing the number on the scale.

Then I found this website.

Making the move from the machines to the weight room has been one of the most positive things I've ever done. I'm still a beginner and starting out low, but I'm so much happier with myself and I love feeling stronger.

Now I pay no heed to the scale and just focus on putting good, wholesome things in my body and pushing it to be stronger than it was the day before.

Anyway, I don't have any friends that I can relate to in this regard so I'm hoping that these forums will be a boon for my knowledge and motivation. I'm also expecting Starting Strength in the mail tomorrow.

Just wanted to say hello and thank everyone for being so welcoming!

• Like 2

Next step: get that baby in the weight room! If you start training it now, it will surely be the strongest toddler on the planet! :P

Seriously, though, welcome to the site. I'm proud of you for recognizing you need help finding your path to fitness and having the bravery to seek it out. You're going to love this place.

• Like 2

They told me I could be anything when I grow up, so I became a superhero.

Handbook for Applied Superheroics:

Ch 1 | Ch 2 | Ch 3 | Ch 4

Welcome! And might I say, I LOVE your username! Labyrinth is of my favorite movies with Jim Henson creations :)

Congratulations on the bouncing baby boy! If you want any info on after pregnancy weight loss and exercises, there's a really good website called girlsgonestrong.com It's full of info on weight lifting for women.

Also a healthy diet will really help, even if you are breast feeding (did you know breast feeding burns 500 cals?). It's recommended that healthy fats like butter, coconut oil, fish, nuts, etc. should be increased. Breads, rice, white sugar, and other not so good foods should be significantly decreased. Same basic diet we all should follow, but if your breast feeding the fats and proteins should be increased, and liver should also be consumed to make the milk richer.

LOL sorry if it's stuff you've heard before. My twin wanted to be a midwife once, even got all the necessary books. I read almost all of them because I was really bored :P

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

• Like 1