Forums are back in action! ×

Time to change things up.

Hi! I am not very good at introducing myself.  

I have been wanting to get healthier and change up my life for quite some time now and think Nerd Fitness might just be the community to help me actually accomplish my goals. I have read alot of the blog posts and it seems like this is a pretty awesome way to look at fitness, and just life in genral really.

When it comes to nerdy stuff I love it all! I am really big into anime and manga, reading (sci-fi and fantasy mostly), and movies (again sci-fi and fantasy mostly).

Where I am at right now fitness wise: I am 27 year old male, weigh 252 lbs. 5' 11" and am not to active, my main form of exercise is biking or walking to work.  My diet is really bad. 

Where I want to go: I would like to lose at least 30lbs, or get my body fat down to around 16%  (no clue where I am at now) to put it into the NF terms I would like to have my class as Ranger/Assassin, I want to have alot of strength and endurance and parkour has always looked really intresting and fun to me.  I know I have a long way to go but I am hoping the community here is the right one to keep me motivated!

I have looked into the paleo diet and might try easing my way into it, would be a very drastic change from how I currently eat.

As for non-fitness related things I want to work on, I have pretty bad social anxiety and would really like to get past that. I am hoping that maybe interacting with people in this community might help me to work on that as I work on being healthier.

Thanks for reading, can't wait to get started on changing things up in my life!

-Silvanus

• Like 3

Welcome!

I have social issues to, and I'm painfully shy. But I'm doing little things to get over it.

WOOT! Anime/Manga! I love Claymore, Cain Saga, Godchild, Attack on Titan, Dragonball, Kind of Hell, Battle Royale, Trigun, and a lot more.

Great goals! If you need any help feel free to PM me.

• Like 1

Hello, Silvanus, and welcome to NerdFitness!

We have lots of nerds facing the same problems here, so you can find a support group very easily (including LostOne and me).   

A lot of people here make gradual, sustainable changes to their diet; they'll drink one less soda every day, replace a type of sugary snack with with fruit and veggies every week, or cut down their grain intake to just one serving a meal.  It's a great way to make lasting changes to your diet--after all, not everyone can go 100% paleo and stick to it for a year!  Best of all, as you decrease your consumption of grains and sugars, your body won't crave them as much.  Eventually, you might try a slice of cake for old time's sake and discover that it's disgusting!  (I've been there.  It's astounding to see how quickly our bodies respond to the good stuff.)

Welcome to your new life, friend.  We're glad to have you here!

• Like 1

Respawned Level 1 Rebel 

STR: 1  STA: 3  DEX: 2  CON: 1  WIS: 3  CHA: 2

Challenges: current!

Welcome Silvanius!

I struggle staying focused on the benefits I want to achieve and have trouble staying motivated long enough to form any real habits.  I've been a part of the nerd fitness for about 3 weeks, and it has been a huge help in keeping me motivated, especially when it comes to diet.  Plus it's way more fun to imagine that you're a character who is actually training for a rebellion.  You catch yourself saying things like "this ice cream does not contribute to the rebellion so I'm not going to eat it" rather than "this ice cream is evil and I ought to feel guilty for even having it in my freezer"....or maybe that's just me.  Anyway, it's fun :D

You have great goals, and you can certainly achieve them!

• Like 1

AnnaBJoyful: Christ-Follower, Swing Dancer, Researcher, Traveler, Lover of Life

Level 2 Human | Dance-Ninja-Assassin
STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 2

Challenge 1

Thanks for the welcome! I have joined a few forums before in the past where people never even responded to my intro post. So its pretty encouraging to have people even just welcome me :D !

"this ice cream does not contribute to the rebelion" I will need to remember that one, Ice Cream is one of my biggest weaknesses. haha

• Like 1

Hi Silvanus,

You've come to the right place!  I'm not massively active on the forum (something I'm trying to change - like you, I'm hoping interacting on the forums helps me with my social anxiety!) but this has to be one of the most positive and helpful sites when you're trying to make changes like this!   There's always some words of encouragement just when you need it.

Good luck! :)