Forums are back in action! ×

Concerns about getting bored/annoyed

Hi all!

I currently work out 2-3 times a week.  I wish I could say I'd like to do more than that, but my concern is that I'll get bored or annoyed with it.  If it starts to feel like a chore I'm not going to want to do it anymore.  As it stands I look forward to my workout days thus far, and I don't want to jynx that.  Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

Why are you concerned that you'll stop looking forward to it if you do more?

I lift 3-4 times a week, do yoga classes 1-2 times and pole dancing once. Sometimes I dread my lifting sessions (even though I love lifting) but I just keep going.

You can't expect things to always be fun so you have to get to a place where not doing a workout only happens because you genuinely can't (ill or injured or caught up in an emergency) rather than because you can't be arsed.

• Like 1

You have to find the activities that you truly enjoy and build your workouts around them.  Personally, I get bored out of my mind with weight lifting on a regular basis, so I don't do it.  Even though it could potentially help me reach my goals faster, I'd just lose interest and stop (which has happened before).  I focus primarily on bodyweight stuff and skill progressions, because that way I get to do something a little different every day.  I've also found a good crossfit box that gives me even more variety.

I've also focused on my gear/batcave to keep me pumped.  Over the past couple years, I've managed to collect 5-6 of the under armour alter ego shirts, which I wear under my work clothes all day.  Then I get to pull a superman when it's time for my workout, something I can look forward to all day.

What are your ultimate goals?  That will have a huge effect on your program.  (Though your program may also affect your goals, as you try new things and refine what you want to be capable of.)

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

When you're afraid of getting that first stone chip on your new car, are you going to park it in your garage all the time and never drive it?

If you are enjoying the working out now, do it as often as you feel comfortable and as often as you enjoy it.  If 2 days a week is all you want or need, then you're still miles ahead of millions of other people living sedentary lives.  If you want to workout more, workout more.  Listen to your self talk and body.

Good luck!

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

dont worry about getting bored .... the internet and fitness companies that want to make more and more money have ensured there is a never ending supply of "workouts" you can switch to when you get bored.

So you are bored with picking up a bar ..... pick up a kettle ball .... pick up a sand bag ... pick up yourself ... stretch a band ... do all of those really quickly with bad form (wink wink cross fitters :D ), pick up a tyre a sledgehammer

work on cardio for a bit, do running, swimming, cycling, mountaneering.

Skills based, climbing, yogas

Release some aggression, join a martial arts or boxing gym and hit someone .... let someone hit you

Dance, jump, spin, pick up a ring

so so so so so many things to do ..... best thing you can do is workout 3 days a week ... and fill another 3 days a week with discovering some new things that you might like to do ... leave the 7th day for rest

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

I occasionally dread my workouts before I go to them, but once I get there I relish the time there.  It's all in the head.  

That's why I never look at  the WOD  before going to the gym if it's a CF day... if it's a day where I'm picking out what I'm going to work on, then a little bit of dread is a good sign that I'm pushing myself!

• Like 1

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

That's why I never look at  the WOD  before going to the gym if it's a CF day... if it's a day where I'm picking out what I'm going to work on, then a little bit of dread is a good sign that I'm pushing myself!

I dread any WOD that includes burpees.  Like today's.

• Like 2

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

If you get bored, just swap to one of the many nerdy themed workouts on the site for a while. I totally expected to get bored and I think in a way knowing that I'd just swap to one of those when I got bored helps keep me from getting bored.

There's a few at http://www.nerdfitness.com/resources/#text-21

and a few that haven't been added to that (making new workouts automatically add to that is on my to-do list) that you can get from the blog's workout category page: http://www.nerdfitness.com/category/workouts/ that has some things that are about workouts, not workouts themselves, but better than trying to google nerd fitness workouts or something.

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

Hi all!

I currently work out 2-3 times a week.  I wish I could say I'd like to do more than that, but my concern is that I'll get bored or annoyed with it.  If it starts to feel like a chore I'm not going to want to do it anymore.  As it stands I look forward to my workout days thus far, and I don't want to jynx that.  Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

2-3 times is usually enough if you train correctly. Also goal setting plays an important role. If you envision your goals every day it helps to stay motivated.

=I personally think the best approach is to fit it in your daily schedule, and find something to do every day.

Therefore from time x to y, 7 days a week, that is what you do. It becomes as much an ingrained habit as showering and eating.

Great advice.  I'm personally much more likely to make myself workout when it's set in stone and scheduled for a particular time.

I occasionally dread my workouts before I go to them, but once I get there I relish the time there.  It's all in the head.  

this is true of going to work out, but i also find i can psych myself out when trying to go up in  the amount of weight i'm lifting.

if you tell yourself you can't do something, your body is more than willing to comply.

as for the OP, one of the best things i did is shift from early morning to late night lifting. the gym is empty for both, which i feel more comfortable with, but i have more energy at night and i get to crash when i get home. it feels great.