Forums are back in action! ×

Open PvP - 13th July - Rangers vs TheWorld - 7 min Burpee AMRAP

I did my burpee AMRAP before I carried a workout log so I cannot be sure just how many I nailed, but I do remember it being around 60...

That seems to be everyone's starting point.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

I dunno what my baseline is. I actually don't like to do burpees on account of my left wrist getting achy and complainy. It's an old holdover from when I broke it in high school, I think.

Instead, I'm doing 100 KB swings at 53 lbs of weight in five minutes at least three times per week.

I consider this to be an experiment to verify the "What the Hell" effect - to see if the conditioning carries over like proponents claim it does.

• Like 1

I dunno what my baseline is. I actually don't like to do burpees on account of my left wrist getting achy and complainy. It's an old holdover from when I broke it in high school, I think.

Instead, I'm doing 100 KB swings at 53 lbs of weight in five minutes at least three times per week.

I consider this to be an experiment to verify the "What the Hell" effect - to see if the conditioning carries over like proponents claim it does.

does it help if you do them on your fists versus hands?

LEVEL: 7 Furyan Ranger - Battle Log - in lieu of this challenge

don't look back, we aren't going that way:

Rebirth - Wrestlemania Dark Raider vs KZacher

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

does it help if you do them on your fists versus hands?

Actually, as a matter of fact, it does. I can do them up on my fist no problem, but I figured if we were going to standardize the form that I shouldn't try to claim exception.

Also, the extra distance makes me slower. I'm already going to be jumping a lot higher for form's sake as it is; I really, really don't want an extra handicap.

• Like 1

Actually, as a matter of fact, it does. I can do them up on my fist no problem, but I figured if we were going to standardize the form that I shouldn't try to claim exception.

Also, the extra distance makes me slower. I'm already going to be jumping a lot higher for form's sake as it is; I really, really don't want an extra handicap.

i wouldn't consider that an exception/advantage. i think what is important is that your chest hits the floor and hand hits the marker(on the jump)

From Tartarus with Love - Wrath of the Furyan - it's a secret! - FIGHT! - You can go your own way - The Rational Gaze - Rise from Death to Knife this Beast(part 3-the agony) - Demonized(part 2) -  By Demons Be Driven(part 1) -

How are your Getups going? I'm still working on two-handed swings. My hamstring-load-and-hip-pop still feels like it could use some work.

i wouldn't consider that an exception/advantage. i think what is important is that your chest hits the floor and hand hits the marker(on the jump)

Yeah, but that extra second, though. :\

But to heck with it. I could do a test run for funsies at some point before the 13th. Should be educational. :)

How are your Getups going? I'm still working on two-handed swings. My hamstring-load-and-hip-pop still feels like it could use some work.

They're moving slowly, as I figured they would. I'm just now getting to the point where I go from first post-up on my elbow to sitting. Being patient with it is difficult, but I'm not interested in paying the price for poor execution.

Two-handed swings are still tricky. The load-and-pop seems to be okay, but that standing plank where you anti-shrug and crush a walnut with your butt is something I really have to concentrate on. I tried to introduce some one-arm swings in there, but my lower back started talking to me so I've edged them back a bit in favor of H2H swings instead. Just for now.

Are you doing anything else besides swings at this point?

• Like 1
They're moving slowly, as I figured they would. I'm just now getting to the point where I go from first post-up on my elbow to sitting. Being patient with it is difficult, but I'm not interested in paying the price for poor execution.

Two-handed swings are still tricky. The load-and-pop seems to be okay, but that standing plank where you anti-shrug and crush a walnut with your butt is something I really have to concentrate on. I tried to introduce some one-arm swings in there, but my lower back started talking to me so I've edged them back a bit in favor of H2H swings instead. Just for now.

Are you doing anything else besides swings at this point?

Same here, I thought my one-handed Swings were okay until I tried to do 100 Snatches and my back was complaining instead of my ass. So it's back to the drawing board on that. I'm working on that until I feel confident enough to show a video to an SFG.

BJJ and 5/3/1 are in the mix as usual (though after a that Deadlift PR put me out of commission for about a week I'm backing off a little bit on the strength work). Putting some time on handstands and V-sits, and S&S with a cheap-assed 45-pound kettlebell until I get enough money to buy a 53. I started my Getups with a Nalgene bottle to get my stability on point  then a 25-pounder, and I've just moved on to the 45 for 10. Now I guess Burpees are in the mix. Might have to put in for a 6-week challenge if I get around to it.

• Like 1

Man, deadlift PRs just seem to kill people. Killed the last guy I saw hit one too. Hm.

Also, check out Rogue Fitness. They've got the cheapest price I've seen for kettlebells, and also, the bells are very high quality. Lovely finish on them, feels like rock.

Be glad to see you come back if you wanted to. :) We have a PvE side-quest going for the next six weeks. You'd probably rock our faces.

I. Love. Turkish. Getups.

Dumbbell, kettle bell, and barbell.  Especially barbell, for the epic factor of hoisting a whole barbell loaded with weight over your body with one hand.

• Like 2

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Man, deadlift PRs just seem to kill people. Killed the last guy I saw hit one too. Hm.

Also, check out Rogue Fitness. They've got the cheapest price I've seen for kettlebells, and also, the bells are very high quality. Lovely finish on them, feels like rock.

Be glad to see you come back if you wanted to. :) We have a PvE side-quest going for the next six weeks. You'd probably rock our faces.

I have more trouble from heavy 5x5 on deadlifts than I do from a one-rep PR.

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

The last video I did took about three hours to upload.  I can do a run on July 13 and tell everybody what I got and upload the video later.

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP

Just for the record, me and kzacher had to do 50 burpees for time this week for our little PvP. My timer stopped at 3:25 so I'm not saying I could pull off 100 in 7 minutes since fatigue will play its part, but I'm pretty confindent I'll be able to top my benchmark of 67

i wasn't terribly fatigued when doing mine, but i wasn't blazing through them either. but i still feel i'll be under 100

• Like 1

In the immortal words of my Crossfit coach, "You can always do one more burpee."

• Like 3

2fdadcffc9b21fdb97470b851edd141abecae69a

• Like 1

^this. I will be spending the second half of the challenge period creating an effigy of @Endor, if anyone would care to join in ;) #whydidisayyes #whyamiusinghashtags

Heh heh, as long it's not a huge phallus I approve :)

• Like 1

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge