Forums are back in action! ×

Epic Boss Fight: Combating Stagnation and the Loss of Motivation

I thought I would put this topic out there (it likely already exists, but no matter) since I tend to hit this level and struggle to beat it every time.  The longer it takes you to recognise you're fighting this epic boss, the more damage it does, and the harder it is to respawn.  I know this because I have respawned so.many.times.  There is victory in coming back and pressing "start" again, however.  And sometimes it doesn't hurt to look up a walkthrough (like the NF forums and articles) to help you out when fighting this evil.  So I'm curious to hear from other rebels about how they deal with this situation.  

It goes something like this: you've committed yourself to healthy eating and a great fitness regime.  You've lost/gained weight and are moving closer to your goal, you're proud of your achievements and heading in the right direction.  Life is great!  Then something happens. Be it a life event, a gradual change, or something else, you lose your momentum and begin to regress.  You stop keeping track of what and how much you're eating. The fitness commitment decreases and then stops altogether. All that awesome progress you made starts to dissipate and suddenly you're heading in the complete wrong direction.  As I said, time is of the essence in this fight.  Sometimes it has taken me mere weeks, other times months to years to realise I'm in the trenches, to put up a defense and stop the damage before I can start heading in the right direction.  Have you faced this beast yourself?  What was the cause and how did you turn it around?  How many times do you think you've respawned?

Level: 3 Race: Human-Wood Elf Hybrid Class: Rebel

[STR - 1] [DEX - 1] [STA - 8] [CON - 7] [WIS - 13] [CHA - 3]

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

In the 3 years I've been a rebel I've probably respawned 5 times. I really haven't moved much weight wise since I've started, but I have learned much and I'm confident my time will come.

Currently I am done with motivation. What I want, what I need is discipline.

Everyday is a tiny boss battle to be a little bit better than the one before.

I'm feeling extra pepped right now because I just finished reading Steve's book but I know that that motivation will be gone soon enough and what will be left is just me...and my discipline.

What made me get out for a run today after work despite my laziness was just telling my self all I had to do was go out and walk. Then I might as well jog a bit and I end up doing the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

Been there,

Last year I lost 30 lbs.. This year I am losing the same 30 lbs... 

Last year I learned how to lose 30 lbs, this year I am going to learn how to keep it off...

So I didn't fail because I learned something important. I just have to start over and face the new challenge of learning how to keep the weight off, that is why I am here.

Take the lessons you learned and the knowledge it can be done then push through to your new obstacle till you defeat that boss... He doesn't stand a chance against the new wiser you...

~Bree

• Like 1

I keep doing one challenge, finishing it, and then falling off track for months. I respawned three times in a year and will respawn one more next week.

There is progress though, I have not gained all the weight back and my flexibility still is kind of there, so I keep telling myself that some steps have been made, and that now is time to start working on discipline.

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

In the 3 years I've been a rebel I've probably respawned 5 times. I really haven't moved much weight wise since I've started, but I have learned much and I'm confident my time will come.

I'm feeling extra pepped right now because I just finished reading Steve's book but I know that that motivation will be gone soon enough and what will be left is just me...and my discipline.

What made me get out for a run today after work despite my laziness was just telling my self all I had to do was go out and walk. Then I might as well jog a bit and I end up doing the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

I really like this idea of discipline rather than motivation.  It's a very good point!  It is very true that even though we lapse, we start over again with more wisdom than the first time we took on the fight.  The last time I respawned, I moved my level back to 1 and left all my points in WIS to show that even though I was a noodle physically, I'd learned a lot!

Been there,

Last year I lost 30 lbs.. This year I am losing the same 30 lbs... 

Last year I learned how to lose 30 lbs, this year I am going to learn how to keep it off...

So I didn't fail because I learned something important. I just have to start over and face the new challenge of learning how to keep the weight off, that is why I am here.

Take the lessons you learned and the knowledge it can be done then push through to your new obstacle till you defeat that boss... He doesn't stand a chance against the new wiser you...

~Bree

Hey Bree, I can totally relate!  My weight battle has been life long, but the first time I took up the fight I was in my late teens.  I lost around 50 lbs in around 4 months in the unhealthiest of ways. Not surprisingly, I gained about 20 of that back within the year.  I bounced around at that new weight until I went back to school and then I ended up gaining back another 20.... which was absolutely unbearable.  I managed to lose that 20 lbs 3 years ago and was doing great, then fell off the wagon again.  I'm still warring with the last 20 lbs, but this time it has to be done in a healthy way.  The trick is consistency, or as others have said, discipline!  You're right, wisdom is super important  and I think it really helps each time we get up and take up the fight again!

I keep doing one challenge, finishing it, and then falling off track for months. I respawned three times in a year and will respawn one more next week.

There is progress though, I have not gained all the weight back and my flexibility still is kind of there, so I keep telling myself that some steps have been made, and that now is time to start working on discipline.

I really like this trend of discipline over motivation! :)

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal

Yeah, at some point motivation just burns out. I don't know if there is a concept of motivational fairies, but there should be. And these fairies would be whimsical and disappear as soon as things get boring.

• Like 1

Goblin | Level 7 | STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 3.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 2.5

Nerdfitness Character, Past challenges: 1 1 2 2 3 4 5 5 6, Current challenge (March 19 - April 15): click

Tough Mudder Ireland || Battle for Graduation || My Neverending Story (on hiatus)

... and whatever habits you build while you have the motivation! 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Yeah, at some point motivation just burns out. I don't know if there is a concept of motivational fairies, but there should be. And these fairies would be whimsical and disappear as soon as things get boring.

hahaha couldn't agree more

4th Challenge

3rd Challenge/Reboot

2nd Challenge

1st (half) Challenge

MyFitnessPal