Forums are back in action! ×

Wordwar Z! (Word/Time Goal Tracking, with zombies!)

Hmm. I have a few things would make perhaps good prompts?

Philosophically, are we allowed to use quotes as inspirations for a larger story, and still publish the result?

I feel that if it features prominently in the work, word-for-word, then asking permission is required.

Though quoting is alright, sure.

But if it is used as an start of an idea, as something to begin to build something your own from, then not.

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

1 minute ago, Fearkiller said:

Hmm. I have a few things would make perhaps good prompts?

Philosophically, are we allowed to use quotes as inspirations for a larger story, and still publish the result?

I feel that if it features prominently in the work, word-for-word, then asking permission is required.

But if it is used as an start of an idea, as something to begin to build something your own, then not.

Sure, I'd love the help! :D

Word for word quotes of written material would legally need to be sourced, as I remember, but verbal quotes are fair game (IANAL, TINLA). There are some written sources that don't require it because they fall under on of the reuse-friendly creative commons copyright, as an example I have prompts that I post on my blog on Saturday's that specifically allow word-for-word use. But story ideas can come from anywhere, so building from quote is as good a starting place as any! :)

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

Works for me.. not a lawyer either. *dry smile*

I need to dig around a bit though, they're a little scattered :P

So, sometime this week?

• Like 1

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

9 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Depends on what you quote, but I know one thing to have extreme caution with. If you are talking about using a quote in your writing, do NOT quote lyrics, not even one line. The only fair use part of song lyrics is the title, because you can't copyright titles. Just thought I'd mention that.

@UnquietBones: So I wrote twice this week. I started on Wednesday so that means 2/5 days. Although I did decide today that I would have Sundays off from writing because I try to do so many other things. So potentially 2/4, but since I didn't decide this UNTIL Sunday, it seems fair to count it as a miss this week.

• Like 2

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

10 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Works for me.. not a lawyer either. *dry smile*

I need to dig around a bit though, they're a little scattered :P

So, sometime this week?

Sounds like a plan to me! :D  I wanted to try and give as many different kinds of prompts and ways to respond to prompts as possible, but I think I may have gotten a little carried away. :lol:

1 hour ago, Dagger said:

@UnquietBones: So I wrote twice this week. I started on Wednesday so that means 2/5 days. Although I did decide today that I would have Sundays off from writing because I try to do so many other things. So potentially 2/4, but since I didn't decide this UNTIL Sunday, it seems fair to count it as a miss this week.

You are still safe from zombies (unless you want to be zombie-fied, I won't argue :lol:) so WRITE ON! :D:D

This challenge is actually getting me to write more as well, so WINs all around! :) *does a small happy dance*

• Like 1

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

*wipes forhead* Phew, still safe from zombies. Next week I'll have to try and get ahead instead of having them running on my heels!

• Like 2

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

10 hours ago, Dagger said:

Depends on what you quote, but I know one thing to have extreme caution with. If you are talking about using a quote in your writing, do NOT quote lyrics, not even one line. The only fair use part of song lyrics is the title, because you can't copyright titles. Just thought I'd mention that.

Thanks. That's good to know. Though it makes me a bit sad, 

because I have to remove pieces from a story, it seems :(

Oh well, things happen :)

• Like 2

*we are totally pretended I remembered to post this yesterday! Doh.*

Weekly Zombie/Pirate/Ninja-pocalypse!

The challenge results for the week were as follows:

Drop and give me 100!

@UnquietBones came in safe with a score of 3/7 for a 100 word a day goal and just barely avoided the Zombies

@Fearkiller came in DOOMED! with a score of 2/7 for a 500 word a day goal - CHOOSE YOUR POISON! (Zombies, Pirates, Ninjas) Mwahaha...

Couch to 1.667k (30 Days)

@Dagger has checked off two of the days and is working on a five-day schedule winning with 2/5 days (1/5 will count as a DOOMED! score)

I have some shiny shiny badges that I will post later tonight now that we've got a winner err, victim! :lol:

Zombies-Ate-My-Wordcount-Badge-150.jpgZOMBIES ATE MY WORDCOUNT! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! 

To fight off the infection and return to the land of the living you must log wordcount/time for at least three consecutive days or meet a weekly/monthly goal (whichever comes first).

• Like 1

Gah, so my own grand plans of what I was working on sort of went sideways because I didn't realise that some of the other short stories in the Tales of the Drunken Unicorn 'verse were actually pretty much done. So now I'm waffling on if I should go back and finish those two or stick to my guns and get Three Tequila, Floor done first. I have a feeling this is just my brain trying to distract me because the other two need editing and this one needs actual rough-drafting! :P

How goes everyone else's projects?

BEHOLD! BADGES! (updated as I get them done because Lo, I Am Impatient)

Waylaid-by-Pirates-Badge-150.jpg Oh no! Your wordcount has been waylaid by pirates!!

Zombies-Ate-My-Wordcount-Badge-150.jpgZOMBIES ATE MY WORDCOUNT! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ninja-Vanish-Badge-150.jpgNinja VANISH! (Your wordcount has been kidnapped by Ninjas, you bring dishonor on your novel!)

*pokes @Fearkiller if you don't pick, you will fall to the zombies by default* :)

• Like 1

@UnquietBones Could we get a vampire one too? I wrote a vampire apocalypse story that should hit print in an anthology next year. Those vampires would motivate me to write very well.

Also, right now I plan to write 4 times per week. So four of six days (Sundays are still off) should keep me ahead of any vampires/zombies/pirates/similar, and if I write more I'll get that head start. And if I miss once (or twice? not sure of your system) I should still be safe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

BEHOLD! BADGES! (updated as I get them done because Lo, I Am Impatient)

Waylaid-by-Pirates-Badge-150.jpg Oh no! Your wordcount has been waylaid by pirates!!

Awesome badges btw. Great skill you have there. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dagger said:

@UnquietBones Could we get a vampire one too? I wrote a vampire apocalypse story that should hit print in an anthology next year. Those vampires would motivate me to write very well.

Also, right now I plan to write 4 times per week. So four of six days (Sundays are still off) should keep me ahead of any vampires/zombies/pirates/similar, and if I write more I'll get that head start. And if I miss once (or twice? not sure of your system) I should still be safe.

One Vampire badge coming up! :)

Eh, I was aiming for about a 75% fail rate in order to invoke the zombies, so failure for 6 would be not writing for 4 or 5 days depending on how you round, If you want you can pick the four and then you'd have to miss three days in a week to fail. I'm all about making this challenge work for y'all so the rules are pretty flexible! :D

10 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

One Vampire badge coming up! :)

Eh, I was aiming for about a 75% fail rate in order to invoke the zombies, so failure for 6 would be not writing for 4 or 5 days depending on how you round, If you want you can pick the four and then you'd have to miss three days in a week to fail. I'm all about making this challenge work for y'all so the rules are pretty flexible! :D

Cool!

I like aiming for 4 and having the potential to do super well with 6, while needing to write 2 times at least to be safe (I'm rounding it in my favor!).

• Like 1

YES! *does a happy dance of happy* I actually browbeat my Muses into working on the short story that I said I was going to!! Even if I did end up rewriting bits of the part that was already posted. *rolls eyes at self* But now that's out of the way Part 2 should flow pretty well... I'm hoping to be able to post a part a week (rough first draft, of course) so I can force myself to finish it.

So far, it's been a pretty good week for writing! How is everyone else doing? :)

Zombies. Will write a fancy snippet about encountering and defending against them later.

Writing the essay hasn't gone well. Will do better

when I get that out of the way. Still got 7 pages to do.

Luckily they're only 300 word pages, so it's doable.

Got the sources lined up, mostly the writing that's left. 

Not knowing which way to go lead to procrawtination

but that's just excuses.

Btw, cool badges! Oh, and would be

cool to have badges for fending them off too.

For bragging rights? :P

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Btw, cool badges! Oh, and would be

cool to have badges for fending them off too.

For bragging rights? :P

Sure! :D I was working on other 'rescued wordcounts from X' and 'wordcounts kept safe for X weeks' too... Any other badges you'd like to see? :D

• Like 1

Can we start this at any time, or do we have to wait for a specific day/date.

• Like 1

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

3 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Can we start this at any time, or do we have to wait for a specific day/date.

You may start and stop at any time! :)  If you find some rules that don't work well for your own method of motivation or if you need a new type of challenge tab, just let me know and I can tweak things around for you. This is all about helping people get words on paper (or e-paper) so just lemme know how I can help! :D

16 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

You may start and stop at any time! :)  If you find some rules that don't work well for your own method of motivation or if you need a new type of challenge tab, just let me know and I can tweak things around for you. This is all about helping people get words on paper (or e-paper) so just lemme know how I can help! :D

Well, in that case I'm going to go fight some pirates. Please excuse me.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”

2 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Well, in that case I'm going to go fight some pirates. Please excuse me.

The more the merryarrrright?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fearkiller said:

The more the merryarrrright?

I sea what you did there.

• Like 2

"A pit full of fire."
"No, sir."

Let's see. 957 words on an essay over one night >.<

But it's done and I learned a lot. Most of it how to not write a paper.. xD

As promised:

Running running running, infernal screaming behind.

Almost- stumbling

Keeping balance. 

But not going to make it. I spin around.

The shovel drawing a perfect arc,

hitting it in the face. A sound like a short dull high-ringing bell. 

One down.

'Dont' worry, they're slow and harmless..'? My ass.

Thanks for the tip.. Guess who got eaten first?

..only three? ..with one down already?

And here I thought..

*grinning*

Might just make it alive, afterall.

• Like 3

On 8 Jun 2016 at 3:38 AM, UnquietBones said:

So far, it's been a pretty good week for writing! How is everyone else doing? :)

I didn't want to answer this until I had something. So now I have something, 277 words to be exact. I also have exactly three more days in this week, so if I want to hit 4 days... XD

• Like 1