Forums are back in action! ×

Wordwar Z! (Word/Time Goal Tracking, with zombies!)

2 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

The more the merryarrrright?

Oh gods the punny, is burns! *flails around* :lol:

2 hours ago, Kelley Gammell said:

Hello! This sounds like a great way to get writing again!

I would like to do the couch to 1.667k :) Can I start tomorrow?

Glad to have you join the chaos! :D Start anytime you like and just make sure you flag if you want the Zombies and just let me know how you would like to track them.

2 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Let's see. 957 words on an essay over one night >.<

But it's done and I learned a lot. Most of it how to not write a paper.. xD

Yowza! Glad to hear you vanquished that foe, now onwards to escape the Zombies! :D *cheers you on*

49 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I didn't want to answer this until I had something. So now I have something, 277 words to be exact. I also have exactly three more days in this week, so if I want to hit 4 days... XD

Yayayayay!! WRITE FASTER!! ;)  :lol:

And on that note, I totally need to open up Scrivener and get writing myself! ^_~;;  Words, words, AWAY!

• Like 3

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

I spent a lot of time this week organizing procrastinating, but one of the fun things to come out of that is the realization of just how much stuff I've written over the years that I enjoy re-reading. Even if I haven't finished all of it, even if it's not all perfect (and some of my old writing is so bad, omg), I've gotten so many stories out of my head and onto paper and that makes me irrationally happy.

So no matter where you are in your projects or how well your Muses are treating you, I hope everyone is having a great weekend and that you can find that same spark of writerly joy! :D *cheers you all on*

• Like 2

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

15 minutes ago, UnquietBones said:

I spent a lot of time this week organizing procrastinating, but one of the fun things to come out of that is the realization of just how much stuff I've written over the years that I enjoy re-reading. Even if I haven't finished all of it, even if it's not all perfect (and some of my old writing is so bad, omg), I've gotten so many stories out of my head and onto paper and that makes me irrationally happy.

So no matter where you are in your projects or how well your Muses are treating you, I hope everyone is having a great weekend and that you can find that same spark of writerly joy! :D *cheers you all on*

This is why I try to never throw any of my old writing away. I love re-reading it, even if it only reminds me how far I've come. And mostly, that's not all it does. Even if something of mine is terrible (it usually is) there's always something worthwhile in it.

Drives my mom crazy though. "Do you have to keep all these notebooks?"

• Like 1

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

I also reread my stuff from time to time and enjoy it. There is an energy to each piece that would be broken if I tried to fix it, so if it is done, I leave it alone.

I also wanted to mention that I'm going to take a break from Wordwars come next week and on because my June challenge doesn't fit any of WW Z challenges. My goal is to write minimum 100 words 3 times per week. But there is one more day to keep me safe from the vampires until I get back (aka I didn't write today but if I write tomorrow even though Sunday is my off-day, I'll hit 2 times in one week... and then I'm safe!).

• Like 1

Introduction (where I started, May 2016) ~*~ NF Character (dormant)

Progress as a Nomad: Battle log where I do my own challenges

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

4 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

I love re-reading it, even if it only reminds me how far I've come. And mostly, that's not all it does. Even if something of mine is terrible (it usually is) there's always something worthwhile in it

42 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I also reread my stuff from time to time and enjoy it. There is an energy to each piece that would be broken if I tried to fix it, so if it is done, I leave it alone.

Sheesh, you two are putting into words things couldn't properly, and which I've been mostly just thinking. You're smart.

Also, wrote prompt 92. Colors: Auburn, Denim, Robin egg blue. Only need to smuggle it from the pc with no internet somehow (only got phone now). I could try to edit (and edit and - ) it perfect, but you know what? I just might let it be as is. 

And another thing too. I didn't know what to write, but then thought maybe I'll check out the prompts? And, I'm grateful for finding something to write of. Thank you. (Again.:P )

• Like 3

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

21 hours ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Drives my mom crazy though. "Do you have to keep all these notebooks?"

I have a set of composition books I kept when I was younger that are basically encyclopedias that I filled up at a rate of roughly every two months. They're labeled with volume numbers and have tables of contents and cross-references to the other books. I still have them and old-me is always impressed with young-me's ability to focus! :lol:

17 hours ago, Dagger said:

I also wanted to mention that I'm going to take a break from Wordwars come next week and on because my June challenge doesn't fit any of WW Z challenges. My goal is to write minimum 100 words 3 times per week. But there is one more day to keep me safe from the vampires until I get back (aka I didn't write today but if I write tomorrow even though Sunday is my off-day, I'll hit 2 times in one week... and then I'm safe!).

Boo!, I mean yay! (siodenote: You can always opt out of the zombies and use the spreadsheets however you want, but no worries either way.) Please do check back into the thread and let us know how it's going so we can cheer you on! :) And now go gets some words on paper so you're safe from the vampires, because I have a badge that I'm going to scan in today just for you! ;):lol:

17 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

Also, wrote prompt 92. Colors: Auburn, Denim, Robin egg blue. Only need to smuggle it from the pc with no internet somehow (only got phone now). I could try to edit (and edit and - ) it perfect, but you know what? I just might let it be as is. 

And another thing too. I didn't know what to write, but then thought maybe I'll check out the prompts? And, I'm grateful for finding something to write of. Thank you. (Again.:P )

Sometimes we write for others, sometimes we write for ourselves, neither one is better than the other and just like other arts nothing we make will ever be perfect. It's finding the joy and the beauty in the imperfect that makes us human, I think. :)

I'm so glad the prompts are helpful! :D I know everyone prompts differently so I was trying to get as wide a range as I could (I've also got a metric ton of prompts over on my blog, but most of them are too long to fit in a spreadsheet.)

My own project has hit a snag point so I'm refocusing on the story outline and (nonexistent) character backstories. I hate it when I hit a 'this doesn't make any sense, why on earth did I have X happen' deadlock! :huh: But working out the kinks makes for funny, snarky, MuseFic so it's still words on paper! :lol:

• Like 1

92. Colors: Auburn, Denim, Robin egg blue

I watch your flowing, auburn hair, as you walk along.
They’re long, reaching the middle of your shoulder blades.
You said to the hairdresser “The most auburn you get.”
Confident, and just like that, a split-second decision.

Like always.

Alternating shades, light and bright and deep, so they look like flames.
Framing your face, flowing closely over your chest and sides.
I could really do today without the attention your bring.

Always like that, moving. Are your ever still? I think amused.

I don’t think you can. From the day you met me, you’ve been nothing but brave and interested. And impossible to shake off.. You bring a deafening amount of attention. All the time. There is not a way anyone would not notice you.

Your hands, adorned with flowing auburn flames. Over your fingers, back of hands, and wrists.

You showed me how they go up and up, and points of flames do show from under the collar of your shirt.

You have a special notebook, with all kinds of sketches, paintings and scribbles of possibilities. You want to be covered by flames, everywhere, like an fire elemental, you told me. When you come up with something good, you add that to the covering of your body. The reason it’s unfinished is you haven’t come up with enough good patterns yet.

Where I prefer old blue denim jeans worn comfortable, and a (comfortable) t-shirt with a sentence of personal meaning, you don a white, collared suit-shirt and thick, tight white denim leggings.  And where I prefer to take a walk in the woods, instead of going clubbing with anyone, you want to run instead.

Your steps more bouncier than usual, happy and smug. Well of course. You did win.
I just can’t believe the way. Thought that not even you’d have the gall.  

When do you think I learn?

When you asked if you should add a certain tattoo, I said “It wouldn’t look good on you”. Like I thought. Should’ve left it at that. Instead, I added that I thought “you shouldn’t look like that, with that tattoo”. As soon as I said the words.. oh shit. You face turning like a whip.  “As if you get to judge how  I should look, ha? “  I might’ve said “You could do to be a little less –“ “Oh, a little less what?” “..Gathering attention”, I finish. “Hell, you could do with some more attention here!”

To you, being scared is just something to ignore, or an obstacle to briefly consider before blowing through. So, when I tried to explain I feel paralyzed by it, and how I do nothing as a result, your answer was to ”start doing something then!” Of course I got defensive, “Do you think it’s just that easy?” “I do, because it is, and I’m trying to get rid of the problem, and you won’t even try!” “With a very good reason!” It went downhill from that pretty fast. Hell, we were pretty drunk.

I do regret that whole deal. Most of the things I said were pretty very stupid.
But most of all I regret I let you have your paint.
You’re the reason I have robin egg blue eyebrows now.

And fingernails. And toenails.

Thank God I stopped you from finishing more of your.. war paint.
Shit, it's a wonder the giggling didn't wake me up sooner.

‘Don’t worry, you look charming‘? Sure..

That would’ve been a lot more convincing without the accidental smirk afterwards.

Still, can’t help but smirk too, thinking back. Because no matter what..

You’re never boring.

Author's notes (meaning: possibly interesting, sort-of-related ramblings)

I'd like to develop the tattoos, why, and how do they look and such. And I don't know them yet. But I'd like to. Developing the dynamic, it's a little flat? Would allow more and interesting shades. As they spend more time together, each one would learn, I think. Also, I want to know what happens, because maybe it could be interesting.

But, to me, there's good things in it, and that's enough.

• Like 3

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

6 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Boo!, I mean yay! (siodenote: You can always opt out of the zombies and use the spreadsheets however you want, but no worries either way.) Please do check back into the thread and let us know how it's going so we can cheer you on! :) And now go gets some words on paper so you're safe from the vampires, because I have a badge that I'm going to scan in today just for you! ;):lol:

I only wrote today because you encouraged me to. I would have so easily just let it slip. But I wanted to see the vampire badge! :D

I could technically join the drop and give me challenge since I plan for 100 words 3 times per week. Which would mean I'd be safe if I wrote at least once, right? 75% of 3 is 2.25... XD I'll fix that tomorrow. I'll grey my couch to 1.667k and add myself to the other. :)

• Like 1

Useful posts on my battle log: Useful Links and Travel Schedule, Future Challenge IdeasGoals for 2017 as a whole, Assorted Goals (not on rotation), Elements W1D1, Last Quarter Goals

18 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I only wrote today because you encouraged me to. I would have so easily just let it slip. But I wanted to see the vampire badge! :D

Yayayay! :D  I will do my best to get it finished and up! :)

21 minutes ago, Dagger said:

I could technically join the drop and give me challenge since I plan for 100 words 3 times per week. Which would mean I'd be safe if I wrote at least once, right? 75% of 3 is 2.25... XD I'll fix that tomorrow. I'll grey my couch to 1.667k and add myself to the other. :)

You could do Drop and Give Me 100!, or if you want, you could do Writing For The Weekend which is judged by week instead of by day. :) Whatever makes you happy! :D

1 hour ago, Fearkiller said:

92. Colors: Auburn, Denim, Robin egg blue

That was wonderful! :) I would definitely read more about those two so I could watch them grow (and watch the fireworks) although I have a feeling most of their learning would be done the hard way. Oof though, if that was me I would have had such a fight with Flames! *shakes fist at fictive*

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnquietBones said:

You could do Drop and Give Me 100!, or if you want, you could do Writing For The Weekend which is judged by week instead of by day. :) Whatever makes you happy! :D

Well, Writing For The Weekend is perfect! I just added myself there, the dates are ending on Wednesday, but I guess I can add to those. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dagger said:

Well, Writing For The Weekend is perfect! I just added myself there, the dates are ending on Wednesday, but I guess I can add to those. :)

Ach, whoops, I got too distracted by the shiny new mini challenge-- I'll fix it in just a minute! :)

Edit, I'm hiding all of the scores so that the only weeks visible will be the current week and last week for easy scrolling, can someone please test and tell me if they can unhide things? If not, I'll go put them back, it's just easier to work with when I'm adding things. :)

10 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Edit, I'm hiding all of the scores so that the only weeks visible will be the current week and last week for easy scrolling, can someone please test and tell me if they can unhide things? If not, I'll go put them back, it's just easier to work with when I'm adding things. :)

I couldn't unhide things. But I guess you can at least hide all weeks before the first person joins a challenge.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

That was wonderful! :) I would definitely read more about those two so I could watch them grow (and watch the fireworks) although I have a feeling most of their learning would be done the hard way. Oof though, if that was me I would have had such a fight with Flames! *shakes fist at fictive*

Feedback! *feels good* ^-^ Thanks :)

And well.. if we're lucky, some other prompts might fit them too ;)

23 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Sometimes we write for others, sometimes we write for ourselves, neither one is better than the other and just like other arts nothing we make will ever be perfect. It's finding the joy and the beauty in the imperfect that makes us human, I think. :)

-- --

I hate it when I hit a 'this doesn't make any sense, why on earth did I have X happen' deadlock! :huh: 

Thanks, that's.. Thank you. Your words help.

Not perfect, probably ever.. but we might get very close, perhaps? And hopefully.. to write as well as we can, and find out how good writers we really can be.

If were lucky.

..And work at it a lot. :D

I can't remember exactly, but Steve said once something like "And you enjoy it, right? I mean, why else would you be doing it?" So, I think too, that the point is to enjoy it first.

-- --

Lol! That's so true :lol:

• Like 2

Badges are almost done, I'm going to post them and then the weekly update. Thanks for your patience! :D

EDIT: ...NOOOOO I just lost the update I was working on. *cries* Okay, saving the draft as I go this time...

Weekly Zombie/Pirate/Ninja-pocalypse!

The challenge results for the week were as follows:

Drop and give me 100!

@UnquietBones came in safe with a score of 5/7 for a 100 word a day goal

@Fearkiller escapes the zombies! But may have fallen to them again? (Friday word counts please! :) ) for a 500 word a day goal

@Jane Eyre Is My Patronus came in safe with a score of 4/4 (100%! YAYAYAY! :D) for a 500 word a day goal

Couch to 1.667k (30 Days)

@Dagger has checked off two more days and is now in hibernation for this challenge

@Kelley Gammell has already made it to day three and is chugging right along! :)

Badges!

Alas, no one fell to the Zombie/Pirate/Ninja/Vampires this week... but @Fearkiller has now earned the Zombie Escape badge! :D

Vampire-Badge-150.jpgZoinks! Vampires have drained your wordcount dry!

Zombie-Killer-Badge-150.jpgYou have vanquished the Zombies and lived to write another day!

Draft badges that I haven't finished yet... (I keep forgetting how long it takes to clean them up. *headdesk)

Draft-Badges.jpg

• Like 1

:DThe badge drafts..! :D *chuckles*

I didn't write anything on Sunday, about 25 words if even that.. Just posted the prompt. So that kills the chain. 

351 on Friday, which isn't 500 :/ 'Log word counts for at least 3 consecutive days' does also mean meeting the set goal, right?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Vampire-Badge-150.jpgZoinks! Vampires have drained your wordcount dry!

Haha, super nice. Just wanted to mention I did actually write twice last week, but that's fine. ;)

OMG I love the badge drafts!

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

7 hours ago, Fearkiller said:

:DThe badge drafts..! :D *chuckles*

I didn't write anything on Sunday, about 25 words if even that.. Just posted the prompt. So that kills the chain. 

351 on Friday, which isn't 500 :/ 'Log word counts for at least 3 consecutive days' does also mean meeting the set goal, right?

For escape purposes, you just have to write for three days in a row you don't have to meet the goal unless that's something you'd prefer to do! :) I figure making the escape goal a little easier will encourage folks to try! :D

But to avoid getting captured to begin with the days have to meet the wordcount goals... so you ESCAPED and then got ZOMBIEFIED immediately after. You are gonna earn ALL the badges! :lol: (I am also making little ones for people to put in their sigfiles if they want. :))

4 hours ago, Kelley Gammell said:

Yes safe from the Zombies! Had lots of motivation since it was the end of the week. We will see how i keep up during the week when i get busy!

Also the sketches for the badges are super cute!

You can doo eet! :D:D *cheers you on* And thanks! :)

4 hours ago, Dagger said:

Haha, super nice. Just wanted to mention I did actually write twice last week, but that's fine. ;)

Oh! Whoops... then wait, does that mean you been Vamped? I think just one day was enough to keep you safe, right? (I will have to go back and reread the thread, sorry ^_^;;)

1 hour ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

OMG I love the badge drafts!

Yayayayay! :D  (I came up with a few more ideas at work, for some reason getting my brain to unravel a coding issue is easiest when I'm doodling... so lotsa cartoons to work from! ;))

I hope everyone's week is going well! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnquietBones said:

Oh! Whoops... then wait, does that mean you been Vamped? I think just one day was enough to keep you safe, right? (I will have to go back and reread the thread, sorry ^_^;;)

I'd be safe if I wrote twice each week, and I did twice the first week and twice this week. So I'm safe, with the vampires right at my heels.

• Like 1

Alright, prompts. I might edit more into this, I doubt I'll remember all of them at once.
These might touch some dark stuff. "Razorblade", "Unholy confessions", set a certain tone, don't they?

(I don't have any idea how much of that darker stuff is actually usable.)

Any ideas, comments, thoughts and end results are more than welcome. Obviously.. :lol::rolleyes:

Afterall.. that's half of the why I'm posting this. The other half is that I'm hopefully helping you guys to write ^-^

I can't write some of them as well as they'd deserve, I guess you get the idea anyway?

I haven't read fully through the existing list of prompts, either.

Sorry. Any overlap is unintentional.

--------------------------------------------------------

http://other-wordly.tumblr.com/post/14291217251/selcouth

I remember a short story, or a GWA request, that 'selcouth' is also an

another name for a 'skin-changer'. Human-to-animal-to-human, usually

using  a skin or a pelt or of that animal. Now, applying that definition of the word, then..

Isn't it marvellous?

Genre: Black comedy / dark humour

"The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel." -Steve Furtick

Friends are so very precious.

(Really. They are.)

Razorblade.

After emotional pain, the rule number one to survive is:  secure dominance.

Research stuff you'd normally not.

Ideas: Incest, Rape, Bestiality, Suicide, HIV

(I research some weird stuff sometimes.
"..."
:D)

A lover's touch

Threats to family or loved ones will be met with immediate and overwhelming force.

Unless those actions mean losing them.

Thank you.

A letter to a paramedic, doctor, firefighter,
police officer, social worker, psychologist,
teacher, parents.. The list could go on and on, really.

For me it was a high-school counselor.
She was there when I needed someone to listen.
The relief to let it all out is just something, isn't it?

I really loved her for that.
She walked with me to the suicide ward.

Hugged her and said thank you. She had tears in her eyes.
I still send her an occasional "Hi! I'm alive. Thank you."-type of SMS.

I don't know what would've happened if she hadn't been there then.

It's just so much that  all of them do, that I don't even know..
Gratitude and respect for them.
I can't come up with good words, sleep deprived.
But I hope you do :love_heart: for your own special people.

And if you would deliver it?

Stuff like that carries through a lot, maybe a lifetime.

What about pacing?

Length of sentences and paragraphs have interesting results.

(Thanks, Stephen King!)

Song titles. Occasional  [tag] for further refining.

(Avenged Sevenfold) "Unholy confessions"

(Diorama)  "Her liquid arms"   [mermaid]

• Like 2

I have done almost no writing this week! I wrote a whopping 74 words in the last three days, I think. :(  *is full of woe*  I am pretty sure the Zombies are going to nom me, but I'm too guilty to check... :lol:

I should have some more badges done and posted today. I am recovering from being sick so I'm going slow today (and slow & short treadmill walking = possible to do image editing). Now if I can just get my writing Muses to play along I can get some words on paper! :)

• Like 1

Is it about being sick..

Hey.. :wub:  no point feeling bad if you couldn't.

or lazy? 

Grrr, get on with it! :angry:

;)

• Like 3