Forums are back in action! ×

I haven't found anything perfect, and I've checked hundreds of catches.  (I suspect the IVs are weighted by species.  Found lots of magikarp with stats above 90% but not one pidgey or caterpie better than 75%.)

Every one of my charmanders is total crap.  I did pick up a 98% nidoran male, which turned into a king with bad attacks.  With a load of stardust he's a respectable fighter though.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

13 hours ago, Raincloak said:

I haven't found anything perfect, and I've checked hundreds of catches.  (I suspect the IVs are weighted by species.  Found lots of magikarp with stats above 90% but not one pidgey or caterpie better than 75%.)

Every one of my charmanders is total crap.  I did pick up a 98% nidoran male, which turned into a king with bad attacks.  With a load of stardust he's a respectable fighter though.

I've caught around 10 charmanders and have had 3 really good ones. Get good weedles all the time, always get crappidgeys though except for hatches.

4 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I haven't gotten a 10km egg in ages. After I got my first one, I'd usually get another one within a week. But that was at least over a month ago, back when I was level 15-18 or so. Has anyone else had similar luck?

Recently yes, I have all 5ks right now. In general it's not like that though, I think it's just a bad streak. I also hatch 2ks and 10ks first, so I build up 5s.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

11 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

I haven't gotten a 10km egg in ages. After I got my first one, I'd usually get another one within a week. But that was at least over a month ago, back when I was level 15-18 or so. Has anyone else had similar luck?

I'm still working on getting my first 10k...

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Met a grimer in the wild for the first time.  Yup, they crash the app all right.  I was standing right on top of it (which I know because other people were catching it) and the game crashed every time it was about to display the monster on the map.  I even tried clearing my data files and walking away, and as soon as I came back, bam, game dies.  I couldn't do anything at all until the grimer despawned.

If the tracker is working any better, could've fooled me.  My GPS is twitchier than ever, which makes it pretty hard to catch stuff.

How's everyone finding the appraisal function? It's useful for figuring out IVs, but why the hell can't they just have a "Stats" page? 

I guess it at least allows us to narrow down PokeAssistant results

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

7 hours ago, Grayspeed said:

How's everyone finding the appraisal function? It's useful for figuring out IVs, but why the hell can't they just have a "Stats" page? 

I think they're trying to maintain the "this is an animal/monster, not a ball of stats" thing. Take your dog to the vet, and they can say he's big, more muscular than normal, has bad hips/is fragile, but they're not going to tell you the power with which he jumps or his top speed. That's how I'm thinking of it anyway.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

13 minutes ago, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

I think they're trying to maintain the "this is an animal/monster, not a ball of stats" thing. Take your dog to the vet, and they can say he's big, more muscular than normal, has bad hips/is fragile, but they're not going to tell you the power with which he jumps or his top speed. That's how I'm thinking of it anyway.

True, I guess nearly 20 years of having this stuff accessible in other Pokemon games has gotten people stuck in their ways ;)

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

On 8/24/2016 at 10:58 AM, Gainsdalf the Whey said:

Recently yes, I have all 5ks right now. In general it's not like that though, I think it's just a bad streak. I also hatch 2ks and 10ks first, so I build up 5s.

I've been doing this as well, 2's in the infinite, 10's immediately with a limited use.

Whenever I build up to all 5's, I spend the $5 to buy 3-4 incubators and clean all the 5's out.  Probably the best thing you can do bang for the buck wise if you spend any real $$$.

Evol party went awesome!  Top movesets on Nidoqueen, Victreebel, and Vileplume.  Well kinda on Victreebel and Vileplume, I got Acid/Solar Beam on both, it is technically the strongest attack set, but Razor Leaf has type advantages vs. water that Acid doesn't have, and there is a lot of water in typical gyms.  Nidoqueen is a 15-14-15.

Also evolved my little 95% IV CP 58 Eevee that became a CP 126 Jolteon.  New Name: Karp Killer

(Not sure if y'all have seen the trick to quickly train up gyms almost resource-free using a high CP Magickarp as the first 'mon; Magikarp deal almost no damage except for their charge move, beat 'em fast and you can beat them with almost no damage.  Karp Killers' type advantage should be ideal for use for this trick).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

9 hours ago, Grayspeed said:

Its great, cuts the time down to sort out the good ones to evolve from the soon to be candy down to nothing.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I'm liking Appraise.  It gives a much better ballpark than those IV calculators which often range wildly.  I don't want to see "41 -71%, please apply a gazillion stardust for more info ."  I just want to see "good" "really good" or "crappy."  And since they fixed the side swiping it's now easy to skim through and toss out the losers fast.  I was getting tired of spending coins in expanding my capacity.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2016 at 4:34 PM, Waldo said:

I've been doing this as well, 2's in the infinite, 10's immediately with a limited use.

Whenever I build up to all 5's, I spend the $5 to buy 3-4 incubators and clean all the 5's out.  Probably the best thing you can do bang for the buck wise if you spend any real $$$.

That's how I do it too, incubators primarily used for 10s, 2s ONLY go in the infinite. My 5s have stayed since I vowed no more money until tracking got fixed. I like where it's at now that it refreshes properly and I can triangulate where mons are by moving around, so I'll probably drop $20 into the bank on that one again.

Congrats on the evos! I got one long coming on an 89% IV Venosaur with a perfect moveset.

I'm also a fan of appraise. I now only ever look up IVs for wonders (Mystic term for 80-100), as those are the only ones I'll ever evolve. I was spending 45 min after each trek doing IVs. Now I spend that once every 4-5 treks.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

You guys heard about the upcoming "buddy" feature?  When you take your pokemon for a walk you will soon get candy.  Not very much candy (max of 1/km, less for rare species) but I'm glad there will be a new way to acquire candy if you only have one of something.  I've been trying for a LONG time to get an Alakazam but they've made Abras so damn skittish it's impossible to do by capturing 45 of em.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Schmopey said:

Yesterday, I  found a park where the ponytas run. I caught a small herd (6), but not one was appraised as decent. Puts me much closer to being able to evolve a good one once I catch it.

Pokemon caught at nests generally have lower stats.

17 hours ago, Raincloak said:

You guys heard about the upcoming "buddy" feature?  When you take your pokemon for a walk you will soon get candy.  Not very much candy (max of 1/km, less for rare species) but I'm glad there will be a new way to acquire candy if you only have one of something.  I've been trying for a LONG time to get an Alakazam but they've made Abras so damn skittish it's impossible to do by capturing 45 of em.

Sounds cool. I'm only slightly bummed that they won't follow your avatar on the map, I guess that would create a load of extra data and put unnecessary strain on the servers.

The official statement mentioned that "Having a Buddy Pokémon opens up unique in-game rewards and experiences" which seems to suggest more that just candies. Maybe I'm just getting too excited..

On 9/4/2016 at 2:02 PM, Raincloak said:

I've been trying for a LONG time to get an Alakazam but they've made Abras so damn skittish it's impossible to do by capturing 45 of em.

I'm having a hard time just trying to catch enough to get to Kadabra! Even when Abra's are the ONLY pokemon on the sightings, I run into a random Pidgey or Rattata!

"You're not even on the Sightings list! HOW?!"

giphy.gif

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

10 hours ago, Red1263 said:

I'm having a hard time just trying to catch enough to get to Kadabra! Even when Abra's are the ONLY pokemon on the sightings, I run into a random Pidgey or Rattata!

"You're not even on the Sightings list! HOW?!"

This much I have figured out:

1) Pokemon that spawn due to lures will never appear on the radar.*  Only way to see what's at a lure is to walk right up to it.  Lured pokemon also vanish after just a couple of minutes, while "natural" spawns usually stick around for 5 to 15 minutes.

* Pokemon also naturally spawn at Pokestops and gyms more than they do elsewhere, so you might see several Pokemon at a lured stop and only one of them's on the radar.  That tells you the one on the radar is a natural spawn and it'll wait longer, so you might wanna grab the others first.

2) The "tracker" still doesn't update very often, so if you're seeing things that aren't on the radar, you've moved away from the area where your radar last updated.  If you're chasing something on the radar, nothing you can do but go back to where you were when it last updated and try walking in a different direction.  If you have the sound turned on, you will hear a little flourish sound when the radar updates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raincloak said:

2) The "tracker" still doesn't update very often, so if you're seeing things that aren't on the radar, you've moved away from the area where your radar last updated.  If you're chasing something on the radar, nothing you can do but go back to where you were when it last updated and try walking in a different direction.  If you have the sound turned on, you will hear a little flourish sound when the radar updates.

The sightings thing is supposed to update every 10 seconds.

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

52 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

The sightings thing is supposed to update every 10 seconds.

It doesn't.  At least not on my phone.  It updates more like once every 2 minutes, or whenever the app crashes and I have to reset it.

1 hour ago, Raincloak said:

It doesn't.  At least not on my phone.  It updates more like once every 2 minutes, or whenever the app crashes and I have to reset it.

It's pokemon go, rarely does something work the way it was supposed to.

Some article when it first was introduced said it was about every 10 seconds. So I went out that day and tested it. And it was usually every 10-15 seconds. Now, for me it depends on the time of day, etc. Early in the morning, it's closer to 10. Right now, it's 30 to 60. My guess is that it has something to do with server load. 

And it sounds like you have a particularly buggy install. >_<

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

I don't think there's anything wrong with the install.  The problem is the game is rather unstable, extremely heavy on processing power, and my phone is about 20 months old.  I've tried updating, reinstalling, clearing RAM, switching off every possible in-game feature, killing every other app on my phone.  None of those helped, and I'm not ready to overclock and risk blowing up my hardware just to play Pokemon.

It runs marginally smoother since the last update, but that just improved it from crashing every 30 seconds to crashing every 2 minutes.  I wish they'd have a lo-res option (for instance, displaying 2D models in the profile view) to make the game a little less pretty and a lot more functional.  Nobody plays games on a 4-inch screen for the HD graphics anyway.

Has anyone else noticed kind of a "when it rains it pours" thing with pokemon type spawns?

Best example: All over Boston we have hypnos running all over, but about once a week I'll go someplace and have four of them spawn in the same area at the same time.  We're talking within a few feet, I can see all of them on screen at the same time zoomed in.  Admittedly, this is usually in a hot spot like the YMCA right beside the elementary school.

Next example: I hatched a Ponyta which FINALLY gave me the candies to evolve my OG Ponyta (one of my first egg hatches, and my first fire type).  Then, in a park that I walk through frequently and have never once encountered a Ponyta: two more spawned in succession.  I haven't seen one since.  In fact, that is the only time I've seen wild Ponytas and they really grab my attention because evolving that first ponyta has been an itch I wanted to scratch since the first week I played.

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.