Forums are back in action! ×

Finished the beginners bodyweight routine

I look at all the 500lb+ deadlifts on here and shudder at how far I have to go but ...

I have always been a complete scrawny weakling and last night I completed three repeats of the Beginners Bodyweight circuit. 60 squats, 60 lunges, 30 push-ups, 30 inverted bodyweight rows, 45 seconds plank and 90 jumping jacks. I've been trying to do this for a couple of weeks and had been failing on the lunges and push-ups, but last night I pushed on through the whole thing.

So 1) WOOT! and 2) any advice on where to go next? I still have some work to do on getting my form better on some of the exercises, but would be good to start shifting it up a bit. I am happy to either carry on with bodyweight exercise (I particularly want to get to the point where I can do pull-ups) or buy some kettlebells/dumbells, but I have tried barbell lifting at the gym and it bores me senseless - I'm looking for things I can do with minimal equipment in my local park.

• Like 2

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

Well done! :D
I've always seen lunges as a kind of nemesis, so I feel your pain on that one, but great job powering through!

As for what to do next, personally I would probably try to figure out what - if any - muscle group my workout didn't hit as much as I would like and maybe modify it slowly by trying out new things, and then slowly add more reps/set/weight so as to make it a bit harder.

You can of course go for a completely new program as well, but my own preference is to try to tailor my exercise routine to my own need by experimenting slowly over time.

• Like 1

I already am the lion, so I don't need to roar!

Aslan's Respawn/Qarantine Challenge

15 hours ago, Myrdinn said:

So 1) WOOT! and 2) any advice on where to go next? I still have some work to do on getting my form better on some of the exercises, but would be good to start shifting it up a bit. I am happy to either carry on with bodyweight exercise (I particularly want to get to the point where I can do pull-ups) or buy some kettlebells/dumbells, but I have tried barbell lifting at the gym and it bores me senseless - I'm looking for things I can do with minimal equipment in my local park.

1) Congrats!

2) My humble recommendation? Get a set of these:

wooden-rings-main.png

You can get a set on Amazon for $30 or less. You can take them anywhere and set them up in a matter of minutes, from the gym to the great outdoors. I've hung mine off playground fixtures and tree limbs tons of times, though these days they pretty much live suspended from the rafters in my garage. And you can work SO MUCH with them.

Push-ups are getting easy? Try 'em on these.

Working on pull-ups? Tons of assisted positions you can use.

Body weight rows? Yup.

Crazy, Batman-style hanging upside down and kicking your legs like a lunatic? Hell yes.

I've bought a lot of fitness-related crap over the years, and if I had to start from ground zero and buy only one piece of equipment, it would be rings. I'm like you, I couldn't stand slinging iron -- dumbbells and bars and always adding and removing plates ... just put a spoon in my eye and shovel that shit to hell. Rings are fun as hell, they're unique, and they will get you strong.

• Like 1

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

Not really. Folks say the wood rings feel better, but I've been totally pleased with my plastic ones, and I couldn't even tell you what brand they are.

Sent from the mothership.

Level 11 Brutish Scoutsassin (That's totally a thing, shut up)

Str: 30 Dex: 26 Sta: 27 Con: 11 Wis: 23 Cha: 18

NerdFitness Trials: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hellfire Club 4LIFE!

Inspiration comes in many forms. Watch me fumble towards it at Accidentally Inspired.

On 7/20/2016 at 6:13 AM, Myrdinn said:

I look at all the 500lb+ deadlifts on here and shudder at how far I have to go but ...

I have always been a complete scrawny weakling and last night I completed three repeats of the Beginners Bodyweight circuit. 60 squats, 60 lunges, 30 press-ups, 30 inverted bodyweight rows, 45 seconds plank and 90 jumping jacks. I've been trying to do this for a couple of weeks and had been failing on the lunges and press-ups, but last night I pushed on through the whole thing.

Way to go @Myrdinn!! I just finished my first 3-circuit session too!  *newbie high-five*

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

On 30/07/2016 at 9:55 PM, Kage said:

First, props on making this happen for yourself. I'll be there soon! Second, I'm totally going to get some of these rings. I didn't now they existed until NF.

I have to say having got all excited and posted this I went back and was really tough on myself with form (ass to the grass on squats, nose on the floor on press-ups) and it was a completely different workout!

Rings are definitely tempting. I saw a friend last week who does a lot of bodyweight stuff and he was raving about them too. 

Keep on plugging away with that workout and you will definitely see progress. Let us all know when you get there!

• Like 1

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

On 7/25/2016 at 3:18 AM, Myrdinn said:

Hey @SkyGirl fantastic! Well done you! If you're enjoying the bodyweight stuff I've been reading this (http://www.startbodyweight.com/) over the weekend and I think I might give his programme a go as part of my next challenge.

Interesting site - thanks for sharing!

“Never make a decision when you need to pee.” - Leonard Cohen

"I'm not the kind of cat that's going to cut off an ear if I can't do something." - Bob Dylan