Forums are back in action! ×

Random Thoughts of Randomness

6 hours ago, RubiksCat said:

I was watching the news and I saw a graphic that said it was 13 inches of snow back in 1985. You have a great memory.

Yeah, my cousins are amazed I remember as much as I do.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

On 3/12/2021 at 3:26 PM, RubiksCat said:

I've been studying Japanese off and on for the past 2 years and my discipline to sit and study at home is the pits. I don't want to pay $6-700 for college course and I'll never ask around on Craigslist for a tutor. What can I use to practice my conversation skills?

What about Babble or DuoLIngo for a cheaper paid option? Have you checked for any Facebook groups?

• Thanks 1

I managed to write 600 words the other day! :)

• Like 3

"There is beauty in hardship / There are poems in grief" -Assemblage 23, Damaged

| STR:2.25 | DEX:2.25 | STA:2 | CON:1.25 | CHA:3.25 | WIS:7 | A place I will collect my woots - if I remember

Challenges | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |  6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 15.115.2 |

Milythaels'  HOoRAY for which I am grateful | Today, right now, I am alive. And that is good.

It is amazing the power of those small gestures of love and kindness have on our lives. <3 - Liberator

"I myself am made entirely of flaws, stiched together with good intentions." - Augusten Burroughs, Magical thinking:True stories

"Pick up the pieces and keep going, one painfully slow step at a time." Hiraedd the twice-risen, hamadryad. 

"Spread love and understanding. Use force if necessary." - Leon Trotsky

"Let me think about the people I care about the most, and when they fail or disappoint me, I still love them, I still give them chances, and I still see the best in them. Let me extend that generosity to myself." zefrank1, An Invocation for Beginnings

"I don't feel guilty for wanting. That's like being mad because you have to breathe or pee. It just is." Someone in Reddit

"If you do strange things, strange things will happen!"

"That's it! Now go make something beautiful." -Jake Parker

16 hours ago, RubiksCat said:

What is the most accurate and reliable step counter that you use for Android? I use a Samsung Galaxy smartphone (Android) and am open to new step counter apps.

I find the Samsung health app works really well as a step counter if you keep it in a hip pocket.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 hours ago, Capt Frost said:

Went running on the beach and at the turn around point I noticed some huge clam shells, so I picked them up to bring home to my kids, felt like I was on a collecting side quest. 

Life is like that sometimes. On Thursday I decided to run laps around a big grassy field by a gym. I found a golf ball. Kind of odd given there's no golf course anywhere near it.

The golf ball to me is kind of like when a game developer adds an item in the game that the player can interact with, but when the player interacts with it the text box says "this item does nothing" or "it's a lonely tree". Why put it in the game then? At least your kids got some enjoyment from the shells I hope.

On 8/29/2022 at 1:50 PM, Capt Frost said:

eh I've been not feeling it or anything at all,  took some mental health days off, on some new medication  and a nice vacation; hopefully I will continue to feel like my old self again, because I missed him...

What's everyone been up to?

Hope you're feeling better since your latest post. Mental health is important too but it gets glossed over and ignored too often.

I recently walked/ran 8 1/2 miles recently. I don't know if it was because I exercised too much or if it was the heat (probably a combination of the two) but the following two days my quads felt stiff and bruised. I'm not used to that feeling so it must be me "knocking the rust off" as the saying goes.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Capt Frost said:

Running related, so if you love listening to the sounds of nature while you run and you are up and out before everything else is awake does that mean you can listen to music without feeling guilty ( I run on a bike path, don't have to worry about cars) 

If you aren't bothering anyone then I don't see why not. It's the people that play their music on public transport or in my work place cafeteria that get annoying.

I run while listening to sports talk on my phone. If other people are in close proximity to me then I won't turn it on. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:38 PM, Capt Frost said:

Yea I'll have to take pictures. and looking at the course map it's hill which is good because that's what I've been training on the last few months

Is a Yeti and Abominable Snowman the same thing?

I recently went out for another run. My best mile time up to that point was a 9:57 and I just wanted to establish a new baseline I could try to improve upon. I had been slacking off on my exercise routine before that evening so I didn't think I had much of a chance of beating my time. Turns out I absolutely destroyed it instead. My new best time is 9:17. My legs proved my brain wrong that evening.

• Like 1

Yes, Yeti is a lot easier to spell though...

Yea I've slowly been getting back into to it too.  I'm kind of in a weird spot, I used to worry about mileage now I'm going for time and feel. I'm up to a half hour 3 days a week with 1 recovery run and a long distance run of 50 minutes and plan on adding onto the long run up to an hour before adding on to my daily runs. Winter is coming so I'm trying to get as much mileage and time up before I have to head indoors, iced over bike paths and narrow country roads with big snowbanks in the dark doesn't make for safe running. So hopefully I'll be able to set the treadmill to 40-45 minutes at a 2% incline and hope for spring. 

• Like 1