Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Naturally a picture of alcohol brings Guzzi out of hiding... it's the Guzzi Symbol... shine it bright when you need a drinking buddy to come save your boring friday night.

Ha!

I deny nothing :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

I've never used a PT and personally don't get them, but from what I've seen, its usually a therapy session for the PT.  On Monday I'm foam rolling and overhear a conversation where the client asks a question about his cat, the PT goes on for 20 minutes about random info regarding his pets, never really answers the question and only stops to look at his phone for the next exercise.

I completely understand the purpose of a coach, but for general fitness I couldn't imagine paying $50+ for someone to read pre-made programs to me from their phone.  Granted the obvious counter to this is that some people want/need company/a gym buddy to help keep them motivated, not everyone has found communities and a knowledge base as we have here, and not everyone has the time or desire to Google exercise info, but it really confuses me when I'm warming up.

Once I'm done warming up, none of it matters as I'm focused on myself, but still those 10-15 minutes frustrate me. 

UGH PT's! I hate most of them in my gym! They leave crap everywhere. One of them always insist that their clients do circuits that some how manage to involve the bench, the squat rack and the only space for deadlifting. How and why...I find difficult to explain. Oh, and you can't work in "Because their clients pay" is a direct quote (hey I pay a membership). Oh, and my last a final annoyance for now: On Monday I was doing squats quite happily when a PT tells me to "hurry up, their client needs to get started in the rack"...seriously, I've got like 45kg over my bodyweight loaded on and you're telling me to go faster! I rest for a timed 2 minutes between sets, doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Chatting to another guy in my gym apparently PTs trying to hurry people off equipment is really common.

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

UGH PT's! I hate most of them in my gym! They leave crap everywhere. One of them always insist that their clients do circuits that some how manage to involve the bench, the squat rack and the only space for deadlifting. How and why...I find difficult to explain. Oh, and you can't work in "Because their clients pay" is a direct quote (hey I pay a membership). Oh, and my last a final annoyance for now: On Monday I was doing squats quite happily when a PT tells me to "hurry up, their client needs to get started in the rack"...seriously, I've got like 45kg over my bodyweight loaded on and you're telling me to go faster! I rest for a timed 2 minutes between sets, doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Chatting to another guy in my gym apparently PTs trying to hurry people off equipment is really common.

I would spaz if that was anyone telling me to "hurry up" when I was lifting. Seems like a bad business model, they don't know you so you could possibly be a future client that is looking for a trainer. Thankfully the 3 PTs that I see in the morning are all really nice and friendly.

Not all PTs are shit, just all of the ones I've seen so far.

OH and since we are on the topic (I've had an internal rant going on for sometime now) one of the really cool PTs that has helped me with form advice and generally just shot the shit with had one of his clients squat 4+ plates.  I look over and I'm super impressed, because from what I've seen the guy didn't look crazy strong with his other lifts.  He uses a Manta Ray device on the bar to help with the rack position - no judgement, maybe he has some type of neck/trap injury/soreness.  He unracks, walks it out and proceeds to do power curtsies - again minor judgment because I don't know the background of the lifter and I myself do partial ROM squats (not that partial but partial nonetheless) but the kicker is, I see the PT take a picture and post it to his Facebook!  I can only imagine that the caption states that he gets his clients from squatting the bar to squatting 4 plates in only 90 days.

I've also seen this PT give this client shitty form instruction for power cleans and KB swings.  I just shake my head.

I've never used a PT and personally don't get them, but from what I've seen, its usually a therapy session for the PT.  On Monday I'm foam rolling and overhear a conversation where the client asks a question about his cat, the PT goes on for 20 minutes about random info regarding his pets, never really answers the question and only stops to look at his phone for the next exercise.

I completely understand the purpose of a coach, but for general fitness I couldn't imagine paying $50+ for someone to read pre-made programs to me from their phone.  Granted the obvious counter to this is that some people want/need company/a gym buddy to help keep them motivated, not everyone has found communities and a knowledge base as we have here, and not everyone has the time or desire to Google exercise info, but it really confuses me when I'm warming up.

Once I'm done warming up, none of it matters as I'm focused on myself, but still those 10-15 minutes frustrate me. 

When I first started out weight training around September I had a PT for a bit, I have a relative who works at the gym so I was able to get sessions fairly cheap. I guess before you know anything about proper form and how to organise your exercises it can be pretty helpful to have somebody else just tell you what you need to do. Trouble is, I don't think he had much clue what he was doing. For example, he put deadlifts in the middle of a bunch of accessory work as part of a circuit, and not in some "keep the weight light so you don't destroy your back way" but with the aim of getting the weight as high as I could manage. 

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

What happened today wasn't really "overheard".

A guy had loaded a barbell to do squats and had loaded at least 40kg to each side of the bar. After finishing with squats and unloading it he fully unloaded one side of the bar before taking plates of the other. The next thing we heard were the plates, the bar, and one of the stands falling on the floor.

• Like 1

Level "I have no clue" Warrior

Current challenge

Battle log

What happened today wasn't really "overheard".

A guy had loaded a barbell to do squats and had loaded at least 40kg to each side of the bar. After finishing with squats and unloading it he fully unloaded one side of the bar before taking plates of the other. The next thing we heard were the plates, the bar, and one of the stands falling on the floor.

That very situation lead to me joining here, it happened before and people on here started on the physics of throwing a bar like that.

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Okay so I'm wondering if this is A Thing.

Yesterday I'm in the gym, and I really like to use the power rack for squats because the squat rack's safety bars are too high, the barbell hits them because I squat deep so if I use the squat rack I have to back all the way out of it and thus don't have pins to save me.

But this guy is in the power rack.  He sets up to do deadlifts, though, and I'm like, "hey are you just doing deadlifts?"  Because there's actually two barbells in a different part of the gym that have bumper plates and are for deadlifting, so I was going to ask him to move.

But no!  He's doing "negative deadlifts."  He sets the safety pins up high and hangs a giant rubber band from each of them.  So he gets the bar through the bands and I'm like, okay maybe he's going to push the bar down to the ground or something?  But the bar is heavy enough that it's just... on the ground.  And then he loads up the bar with plates, so it is very firmly on the ground.  So basically he's just doing deadlifts with rubber bands, so... assisted deadlifts?  I guess?  Is this a thing people do?  Is there a purpose to this?  Has anyone else seen this?

Also he was doing sumo deadlifts, which I first heard about from a Bro Science video like two weeks ago, and also did not realize were, like, a real thing people do.  Doesn't that put more strain on your knees?  Also with that wider stance you're not lifting the weight as far?

Butts.

Yesterday I'm in the gym, and I really like to use the power rack for squats because the squat rack's safety bars are too high, the barbell hits them because I squat deep so if I use the squat rack I have to back all the way out of it and thus don't have pins to save me.

But this guy is in the power rack.  He sets up to do deadlifts, though, and I'm like, "hey are you just doing deadlifts?"  Because there's actually two barbells in a different part of the gym that have bumper plates and are for deadlifting, so I was going to ask him to move.

But no!  He's doing "negative deadlifts."  He sets the safety pins up high and hangs a giant rubber band from each of them.  So he gets the bar through the bands and I'm like, okay maybe he's going to push the bar down to the ground or something?  But the bar is heavy enough that it's just... on the ground.  And then he loads up the bar with plates, so it is very firmly on the ground.  So basically he's just doing deadlifts with rubber bands, so... assisted deadlifts?  I guess?  Is this a thing people do?  Is there a purpose to this?  Has anyone else seen this?

Also he was doing sumo deadlifts, which I first heard about from a Bro Science video like two weeks ago, and also did not realize were, like, a real thing people do.  Doesn't that put more strain on your knees?  Also with that wider stance you're not lifting the weight as far?

Yes, it's a thing. The bands give less support at the top of the lift. 

There are more things in heaven and earth than we can explain. The same is true in the gym.

Some are stupid, some have their reasons. I can't say which this is, but it's a thing.

Oh okay so, if you're having trouble getting the weight off the ground you could use bands but then have the full weight towards the top, to help break a plateau?  That makes sense.

I also didn't realize sumo deadlifting was so popular!  Learning new things!  Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

Butts.

I'm thinking about getting an Impersonal Trainer credential.

Client: I'd like to strengthen my shoulders, what do you suggest?

Me: I dunno, do whaddever da fuck you want.

Impersonal Trainer Couldn't Give A Fuck What You Do With Those Free Weights

I also think you use more of your ''ass'' and legs in sumo. Correct me if I am wrong though.

pull_sumo_eat_butt_racerback_tank_top.jp

• Like 1

But this guy is in the power rack. He sets up to do deadlifts, though, and I'm like, "hey are you just doing deadlifts?" Because there's actually two barbells in a different part of the gym that have bumper plates and are for deadlifting, so I was going to ask him to move.

But no! He's doing "negative deadlifts." He sets the safety pins up high and hangs a giant rubber band from each of them. So he gets the bar through the bands and I'm like, okay maybe he's going to push the bar down to the ground or something? But the bar is heavy enough that it's just... on the ground. And then he loads up the bar with plates, so it is very firmly on the ground. So basically he's just doing deadlifts with rubber bands, so... assisted deadlifts? I guess? Is this a thing people do? Is there a purpose to this? Has anyone else seen this?

Also he was doing sumo deadlifts, which I first heard about from a Bro Science video like two weeks ago, and also did not realize were, like, a real thing people do. Doesn't that put more strain on your knees? Also with that wider stance you're not lifting the weight as far?

The assisted deads are an overload exercise. Helps work the lockout as you are handling heavier weights. Bands help break the bar off the ground but as you get closer to lockout the bands are less helpful.

And I love sumo deads. It really really has helped save my lower back. They use a lot more hip and I would saw quads compared to conventional.

And yep its a shorter range of motion which is why you can't use them in strongman...how I miss sumos.

The assisted deads are an overload exercise. Helps work the lockout as you are handling heavier weights. Bands help break the bar off the ground but as you get closer to lockout the bands are less helpful.

And I love sumo deads. It really really has helped save my lower back. They use a lot more hip and I would saw quads compared to conventional.

And yep its a shorter range of motion which is why you can't use them in strongman...how I miss sumos.

I love sumo deadlifts. My favorite. I think it works better for my hip structure (as a broad with baby-bearing hips). 

• Like 1

Level 2 Warrior  | STR 4 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 4 | WIS 4 | CHA 3 |

Current Challenge  First Challenge

Hm nothing against sumo deads but I lift better with the standard form. It generally pays to switch to sumo when I get stuck on regular deads though.

Lol I don't think you're offending anybody by preferring conventional pulls
  • Like 1

Today: Dude in my gym squatting like a boss. Two plates on each side. Suddenly the whole bar starts to cant over, everything destabilises (and not in the "functional training" way) as he hits the bottom. He'd forgotten to use clips, and the new barbells are still slightly slippery and one side the plates had shifted almost off the bar!...that dude was me lol.

Also, saw a guy using doing cable flies with one hand and talking on his phone with the other, for about 40min! 

• Like 6

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

Oh okay so, if you're having trouble getting the weight off the ground you could use bands but then have the full weight towards the top, to help break a plateau?  That makes sense.

I also didn't realize sumo deadlifting was so popular!  Learning new things!  Thanks everyone!

These are called banded deadlifts. You can do them this way, hanging bands form the rack and looping them around the bar, so that they assist out of the bottom. The more common way I've seen them, as to not take up the power rack, is to get the heaviest dumbbells you can find and use them as anchors. Kind of like the picture below, but using dumbbells instead of pins since most platforms don't have them built in.

chrisdlbandsfix.jpg

Like others said, their purpose is to make the top of the lift harder to put more focus on that portion. As a lifter gets stronger, gains get harder, and different exercises need to be used a bit more as just squatting or just deadlifting typically isn't enough at the weights that they can be handled for a high volume. The weight is too light to cause an adaption. Going heavier for a full range of motion for the needed volume might be too much to recover from. What we do here is add lifting variants that only overload or add volume to a portion of the lift, typically our weak spots.

The banded deadlifts, whichever way you do them, make the top of the pull, the lockout, harder, while also still making you go through the complete range of motion of the lift as to have the most carry over to your full deadlift. For this reason I like them better than rack or block pulls (Putting the bar on the pins and only lifitng it for the top half of the ROM).

Personally, I have one day for each of the 3 lifts a week where I do the full lift, then two variants to focus on a specific part of the ROM. Right now the ones I'm doing are deficit deadlifts (standing on a 2" platform, so the bar starts lower, which works the bottom of the lift harder) and rack pulls (works the top of the lift harder). There are all kinds of ways to incorporate the variants. Some people just rotate them each day (deaedlift day 1: banded DL, next DL day: deficit DL, next DL day: conventional).

For sumo, some people can lift more this way because of their different leverages (body proportions such as long legs or arms). The shorter your arms are compared to your torso, the more likely you are to be able to lift more sumo all things being equal. This is because shorter arms means you have to bend over more to reach the bar (as well as the abr being higher at lockout), and a long torso means the lever arm is longer when you do bend over (as well as making your shoulders and hence the bar higher at lockout). Going sumo reduces how high you have to pull the bar, as well as decreases the angle between your toros and vertical at the start of the lift.

• Like 2

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

^^Yay for reading more articles about deadlifts and getting more confused!  :lol:

• Like 1

Classless Human Male Warrior - Introduction

Height: 1.77m Weight: 93 kg

Spoiler

Current Maxes: (repsxkg)

Squat: 10x122.3, 5x138.2, 3x147; 1x170

Bench Press: 10x79, 5x93, 1x102

Deadlift: 10x152, 5x192, 3x210, 1x229

Overhead Press: 10x52, 5x61, 1x70.3

Current Battle Log: 1707 Sam Ashen Summer Swole Program

2017 Challenges:  1701 1702 1703 1704 1705

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1609  1610 1611 1612

Daily Log:The Daily Grind

Form Check:  Stronglifts Olympic

More FC's:  Pistol Squats

Want to play?  MFPvP