Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

What I learned last night--my husband and I cannot work out together. We could if we had duplicate equipment but with the current setup, no way. Between our height and strength differences it's just not doable. Also, he has no interesting in squatting but will deadlift.

My wife and I can't walk for exercise together, I walk so much faster than she does, and my legs are so much longer, that if I'm walking fast enough to do me any good she's straining too much, and if we walk at a speed where she's working I'm not even breathing hard.

• Like 1

What I learned last night--my husband and I cannot work out together. We could if we had duplicate equipment but with the current setup, no way. Between our height and strength differences it's just not doable. Also, he has no interesting in squatting but will deadlift.

But.....but leg day :( 

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Every day is leg day.

• Like 5

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Every day is calf day.

fify   :devilish:

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

fify   :devilish:

i4tm3r31.jpg

• Like 1

Long Term Goals:                                                                                                              

Spoiler

200# 245# Snatch                                                                                                             

300# Clean and Jerk                                                                                                         

380# 465# Back Squat

450# 500# Deadlift

Planche

Human Flag

Front Lever

285# Log Clean and Press

1k Row under 3:20

Back Flip

Bodyweight Turkish Get-up

For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for the present life and the life to come. 1 Timothy 4:8

Never compromise.

Your coach and the strongest guy in the gym aren't exactly small guys, so anything body weight is going to be harder on them than on lighter people like us... says me who only recently figured out the pull ups.

Nah, they're mahoosive. 'Specially the strongest guy in the gym. They were laughing far more than I was. 

My wife and I can't walk for exercise together, I walk so much faster than she does, and my legs are so much longer, that if I'm walking fast enough to do me any good she's straining too much, and if we walk at a speed where she's working I'm not even breathing hard.

He's 6'2" and I'm 5'6". I'm a pretty fast walker (and strangely competitive when it comes to people trying to pass me when I am walking, I've actually sped up in the middle of a cool down because I could sense somebody getting close to passing me on the indoor track) and can keep up with him. But my parents are 5'2" and 6'3" and his are 5'2" and 6'4" and those are two pairs that would never walk together for fitness either.

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

But.....but leg day :(

It's his journey and he's a grown boy so I can't make him do what he doesn't want to do  :playful: 

But seriously, I'm not pushing it. He's been in a plantar fasciitis induced funk so deciding to try something other than running is a step in the right direction, even if he's not following the exact path that I would.

• Like 4

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

He's 6'2" and I'm 5'6". I'm a pretty fast walker (and strangely competitive when it comes to people trying to pass me when I am walking, I've actually sped up in the middle of a cool down because I could sense somebody getting close to passing me on the indoor track) and can keep up with him. But my parents are 5'2" and 6'3" and his are 5'2" and 6'4" and those are two pairs that would never walk together for fitness either.

I'm 5'11", she's 5'2". I've always walked fast, come from commuting in NYC daily, move, move over, or get walked over.

Overheard on the train: two little girls bounce on (probably about eight years old) and one turns to the other saying, "Well, you do need to work on your upper body strength."

Yeah, but I bet she doesn't she even lift :P

• Like 2

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Overheard on the train: two little girls bounce on (probably about eight years old) and one turns to the other saying, "Well, you do need to work on your upper body strength."

I have vague memories if coming out with this sort of nonsense to female friends when I was eight. 

At eight you're climbing trees, monkey bars, helping push start cars and play wrestling.  You need some upper body strength.

(And sprint speed for nicking balls and flags off the golf course.)

• Like 4

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7

Seen this morning:

Some guy (pretty big to be fair) doing Seated shoulder presses with mahoosive dumbbells, however, his ROM is about 3 inches due to the heavy weights he's lifting.

Same guy is later seen doing another shoulder type exercise (you hold the weights in front of you and then lift your arms up so the weights are parallel with the floor but I have no idea what it's called!), again with mahoosive dumbbells and seems to be, for a shoulder exercise, throwing in a massive amount of hip movement to get these weights shifted, which I'm pretty sure isn't the point?

And I was just in the power rack...doing deadlifts

• Like 3

Seen this morning:

Some guy (pretty big to be fair) doing Seated shoulder presses with mahoosive dumbbells, however, his ROM is about 3 inches due to the heavy weights he's lifting.

Same guy is later seen doing another shoulder type exercise (you hold the weights in front of you and then lift your arms up so the weights are parallel with the floor but I have no idea what it's called!), again with mahoosive dumbbells and seems to be, for a shoulder exercise, throwing in a massive amount of hip movement to get these weights shifted, which I'm pretty sure isn't the point?

And I was just in the power rack...doing deadlifts

Next time come over and say hi to me.   :playful:

• Like 1

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Me too, I'm pretty sure when summer hits here I'll drink more water than do actual exercise when I'm working out!

This thread is gold, and it makes me so glad that my gym is pretty decent - especially at 8pm when there's usually only five people there besides me!

level 1 half-elf (half-hobbit) adventurer.

(wannabe ranger).

full time awesome.

str 3 . dex 2 . sta 0 . con 2 . wis 0 . cha 1
challenges: 1