Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

5. And, possibly, my absolute favorite, the guy who would come in, go to the free weights, load up a bar with an insane amount of weight, stand in front of it and talk himself up for like, five full minutes on the clock, deadlift it once whilst shouting some kind of barbarian war call, drop it on the ground, then spend another five minutes verbally high-fiving himself. Then, he would leave.

I have actually done that to some degree.  I can deadlift more than what my at home barbell can hold so when I went in for a yoga class, I would first do a couple 1 rep deadlifts in the free weight area than left for the yoga class.  Granted I didn't shout or verbally high-five myself.

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

I have actually done that to some degree.  I can deadlift more than what my at home barbell can hold so when I went in for a yoga class, I would first do a couple 1 rep deadlifts in the free weight area than left for the yoga class.  Granted I didn't shout or verbally high-five myself.

Also, you did more than one deadlift. Seriously, this dude got in his car and left.

Level 2 Human Ranger

STR [5] DEX [4.25] STA [3] CON [4] WIS [6] CHA [6.25]

Current Challenge

My Introduction

"Blood and sweat washes away pain and fear."

Current Challenge Goals:

I think I saw what I can only call a brogasm today. There's this pair of dudes that come into the weight room around the same time I do, and I think one of them is "training" the other, but they alternate lifts. I've heard the first one explain various exercises, and he lifts more weight than his friend. So today, they're alternating on the bench press. Trainer guy is telling his friend what weights and reps to do. During one of my rests, I hear him shouting (over my music, mind) "you're gonna get 8 on this one! You're gonna get 8!" I look over: his friend is already on his back getting ready to bench, and he's spotting. So shouting continues and then they high five like ten times. Really quickly. While trainee was still on his back. They then realized what they were doing and abruptly stopped, looked around sheepishly, and caught me staring at them. I very quickly went back to my own benching.

• Like 1

Lvl. 3 Gnome

STR - 4.25/DEX - 2.5/STA - 6.25/CON - 5.5/WIS - 9/CHA - 7.25

Tumblr

Current Challenge / Challenge 2 / Challenge 1

"She believed in dreams, alright, but she also believed in doing something about them...

When Prince Charming didn't come along, she went over to the palace and got him."

- Walt Disney

Hm, I am doing a class 2-3 times per week that is a mix of HIT, cardio, calisthenics, mostly very functional body weight exercises, sometimes with extra weights (anything you want from 1 pound to 8 pounds), kickboxing and yoga... and in the end stretching. 

And there are always some "bros" as you might call it, who will a) go early, because "mindless stretching" or B) do pushups during stretching. It smells like injury to me...

A Hobbit who wants to become an Elf - Scout - Level 3
STR: 2,75 | DEX: 4 | CON: 5,5 | STA: 2,5 | WIS: 3 | CHA: 2,75
The journey of Tinessael 1

The journey of Tinessael 2

Tinessael's Challenge (ongoing)

yeah but we all know you're slightly tapped... :tongue:

shooosh you- you don't know me you don't know me (screeching!!!!)  

okay- maybe you have a point.

actually hysterically- for our show on Saturday- it's a dance thing- the first like 32 counts of 8 for the intro is this organized chaos- like we are all fuzting around waiting for it to start-doing make up- fixing costumes etc etc it's part of the actual set up- and I have been previously been doing down ward down to cobra/dive bomber stretching thing... till I found out the hostest is a cross fitter- I'm now doing burpees.  LMFAO... yeah- in booty shorts and some weird like halter barely there top.  It's the dumbest thing ever- but it amuses me- burpees can be done ANYWHERE  :D

dance... organized chaos... costumes... down ward down to cobra/dive bomber stretching... hostest is a cross fitter... burpees... booty shorts... halter barely there top...  burpees

So many levels of hot in that single post.  Damn.

| LVL1 | Human | Ranger/Monk | Neutral Good w/ chaotic tendencies|

| Male | 33 years | 5'7" |168 lbs | Right-handed |

| STR: 3 | DEX: 2 | STA: 3 | CON: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 2 |

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

My current gym is a bit quiet.  Trainers are super nice.  Members are friendly and polite.  Not crowded.  Most of all... people don't talk to each other much.  I'm told at 3:30 every day, there's one guy who comes in and curses to himself and puts himself down to motivate himself - "What are you? A f******p****?  5 more.  5 more. Damnit.  5 f****** more!"  I sometimes work in the afternoon and catch him, but if there are other people in the gym besides the trainers then all he does is grunt and pant loudly.

Progress Photos Album

Character attributes: Especially self-critical and self-condemning.  Possesses strong polymathic potential, but circumstances, time and the will toward achieving that potential remain in constant fluctuation. Indecisiveness leads to indecision and determination must be coupled with foreseeable goals. Emotional quotient and empathic ability is high.  However, with indifferent resignation, can be detached from people and places .   

My current gym is a bit quiet.  Trainers are super nice.  Members are friendly and polite.  Not crowded.  Most of all... people don't talk to each other much.  I'm told at 3:30 every day, there's one guy who comes in and curses to himself and puts himself down to motivate himself - "What are you? A f******p****?  5 more.  5 more. Damnit.  5 f****** more!"  I sometimes work in the afternoon and catch him, but if there are other people in the gym besides the trainers then all he does is grunt and pant loudly.

You should point out that vaginas are actually quite strong and hardy, and that he should be calling himself a ballsack because they are strong and weak.

:D

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Yeah as my wife says "they bleed for days without dying."

Too much?

Ands this from Mir's thread:

betty.jpg

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

One guy at the rec center puts the tread mill on the highest incline, and then hangs on for dear life leaning way back while speed walking. i know that the top of the machine (where he hangs on) is going to bust of at any moment and leave him on his ass. I try not to watch, but like a car accident i simply cannot look away. 

So many levels of hot in that single post.  Damn.

You're welcome. :D

You should point out that vaginas are actually quite strong and hardy, and that he should be calling himself a ballsack because they are strong and weak.

:D

I believe I read somewhere that it can exert over 100 Pounds of pressure w/o every being trained to do so.  I'd say that's pretty good!!!

Ands this from Mir's thread:

betty.jpg

***LIKE***

Two comments:

Firstly: Many years ago I dated a girl who knew all Six Dances: Ballet, Jazz, Tap; Pole, Couch & Lap

Secondly: CrossFit is the Scientology of Fitness; as a friend of mine posted on Slowtwitch "I have a sneaking suspicion that it's some sort of cult that's kidnapped and brainwashed two of my Facebook friends. Appears that they're not allowed to post anything except for Crossfit stuff now."

I like how you limted it to Balley Jazz tap and then the other three.  I am actually neither - I'm a bellydancer. LOL- but I'm not judgmental of any of the others :)

as far as crossfit- yeah I don't drink the juice- they don't have a corner market on push ups- olympic lifts or burpees- or muscle ups.  I actually dislike the bad name a lot of people give it- it's unfortunate.   I just tell people if CrossFit, P90X and Insanity all had a sordid love affiar and popped out a baby- that would be my workouts.  :D  

This happened to me...

I was working out doing a heavy weight, strength circuit.  Talking with one of the female trainers, she asked me how I felt.  "Tired. <pant, pant>  I feel like you could blow me... <awkward pause> and I'd fall over."

Seriously... not enough oxygen flowing to my brain.

Progress Photos Album

Guest Dirty Deads

I've heard a million things that make me shake my head like "Man, you can't take ZMA because this federation tests for steroids"

Mostly the biggest derp was an old trainer of mine who was loading up the bench for me. I did my first rep, then second and racked it. I thought "I think I'm having a stroke, my left is way too weak." The idiot had put 35's in place of 45's on one side....

So I witnessed some crazy shit at the gym the other morning. It involved a regular who honestly just goes about his workout, I never see him do anything crazy, but he is kind of a curlbro. And this couple, DudeBro and ChickGirl who are literally trying to complete osmosis they are so on top of each other. They'll get nose-to-nose and be all smiley and gross on each other. I'm honestly surprised she doesn't sit in his lap when they're doing inclined benches. Anyway, they go about their little routine and do all the weird things like half squats, feet on the bench during bench presses, etc. And they make sure to pause during their rests for some tender back rubs (barf).

The other morning, Regular is going about his workout and The Happy Couple are going about theirs. It was apparently upper body day so everyone was loitering around the dumbbells and benches. The Happy Couple were smooching on a bench, taking up space. I'm racking weights for squats. And I turn around after hearing some weights crash and ChickGirl is literally THROWING weights at Regular. They're getting into a confrontation, words are passed, what not. Then it's kind of over by the time the front desk guy comes up and checks it out. And then they get back into it and some trainers get involved. Apparently, Regular asked when they'd be done with the bench and ChickGirl FREAKED out. 

To be fair, I did tap the front desk guy on the shoulder and say, "look this couple is always in here, lovey-dovey, making out on the bench, and generally taking up space." They're really annoying and if I was trying to get a workout in and they were taking up a bench, I'd probably be pissed too like Regular was. At the same time, if someone said, "when are you going to be done" I'd try to work with them so we could both use the equipment instead of throwing weights.

Amazon Warrior

29, F, 5'11 ft, 159lbs

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5

LOVE that movie.

it's just so awful  wonderfully epic in every possible great way!

Fixed. I love me some demo man.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf