Forums are back in action! ×

hi I am from Singapore

I stumbled on the whole NerdFitness.com thing by following some link about Optimus Prime and how he transformed in lots of small changes, and not a single big one... yes the crazy stuff we do on the internet. Then I bought and read "Level Up Your Life" and it resonated with me a lot (both the sci-fi/fantasy nerd-out and the efficiency hacks for life). So here I am. 

In a way I am no longer starting out on the journey, but somewhere along the yellow brick road. When I was 34 (that's 5 years ago), I was making good $$$ in a job I hated, drinking and eating like I had a death wish, and I was a solid 12kg (25lbs) overweight. Not the worst admittedly, but I had borderline hypertension, fatty liver, the works that were diagnosed during a health check. With a young family in tow, it was not a good place to be. 

I decided to get out of the rat race, and rebuild my health and fitness. I always had lower back issues from my youth as a judo player and heavy loads and long walks as an infantry officer in my youth, so I fixed that with a 6 month dose of pilates. It worked, then I started on "cardio". Despite the bad name cardio gets nowadays it worked for me (combined with a simple calorie counter myfitnesspal) so I got to the weight I wanted to be...Then I wanted more. I was skinny-fat, which is actually not great, so I started Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, then weights, and it all came together. I have participated (and even won a few) BJJ tournaments regionally and will be going to the Abu Dhabi Pros next month. I am no powerlifter, but I can do 2xBW squats and DLs, and working on that 1xBW Overhead Press... will get there someday soon I hope. 

There were many setbacks and retracements along the way, but I tried not to make the same mistake twice. The whole idea was to educate yourself AND do it at the same time (no underpants gathering!) and for most people I think that "first action" is the hardest thing to do. 

This entire approach works to other aspects of life as well, and I now have a business that is thriving, I am more efficient in finding time for the kids, etc etc. So healthy body, happy mind, generally good stuff happens I suppose! It is not all roses and wine, and sometimes the sh*t hits the fan, but I feel more equipped to deal with the adversity that life throws at us without resorting to self-destructive behaviours. 

I hope that wasn't too long an introduction!

• Like 2

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)

Welcome to NF! You’ve done such a great job at changing not only your health but your life overall.

Hey @godjira1  It's so great reading about someone making such a life changing transformation, I can only say "congratulations".  It sounds like you have a lot to offer this community and you'll fit right in.  Welcome :) 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously