Monk related discussions! 

*Note: You can participate in guild discussions regardless of your chosen guild. 

Monks can kick your ass with their fists and feet, and they can do it before you even know what's happened. Incredibly agile, lightning fast, and loaded with power, Monks specialize in martial arts to stay in shape and destroy the opposition.  

* Fictional example: Neo (The Matrix); Beatrix Kiddo (Kill Bill); Black Widow (Marvel) UFC Fighters Georges St. Pierre & Ronda Rousey

* Real-world example: UFC Fighters Georges St. Pierre & Ronda Rousey

* Typical Activities: MMA, BJJ, Karate

• Like 2
I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I'll put my stake in the ground as a BJJ guy. I'm 2.5 years in so buy no means an expert but enough time that if someone is considering the sport and has questions about what it's like to get started, I'm available to answer questions. As far as I know @Kishi is the only other active player so let this also be a call to anyone I may be unaware of so I can start following you too.  Should anyone want talk technique, I'm always game. 

• Like 1

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Have been away from the forum for a minute, but I'm back! Things have changed and I really like it. 

So my martial art of choice is Judo and Jiu Jitsu (Japanese, not BJJ). Hold a brown belt in Judo and a green belt in jiu jitsu. I see it's a little slow in here, but hope to contribute at some point!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Atheist Naturalist Halfling Ranger

STR|2 DEX|3 STA|2 CON|3 WIS|3 CHA|2

“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.â€― Neil Gaiman

On 4/15/2024 at 11:29 AM, RaveOnOn said:

Jiu Jitsu (Japanese, not BJJ)

I'm curious if you have any insights on the difference. It's not something I've put any time into thinking or learning about. I know BJJ was an outgrowth of, I guess, JJJ but I assume some things were emphasized and de-emphasized in translation. 

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

Viper stops a morning stroll mid-stride, spins around, pokes a head into the monastary, bows, and enters.

"Did someone say ju-jitsu?" 

On 4/15/2024 at 12:29 PM, RaveOnOn said:

Have been away from the forum for a minute, but I'm back! Things have changed and I really like it. 

So my martial art of choice is Judo and Jiu Jitsu (Japanese, not BJJ). Hold a brown belt in Judo and a green belt in jiu jitsu. I see it's a little slow in here, but hope to contribute at some point!

That's awesome! What's your favorite technique (or kind of technique?)

On 4/18/2024 at 6:46 AM, The Most Loathed said:

I'm curious if you have any insights on the difference. It's not something I've put any time into thinking or learning about. I know BJJ was an outgrowth of, I guess, JJJ but I assume some things were emphasized and de-emphasized in translation. 

Japanese Ju-jitsu arose as the unarmed martial art of the samurai. It mainly focuses on throws and joint locks (by extension trips, and also falls). At its core it deals with redirecting momentum, off balancing, and utilizing the way the body does (and does not) move. It involves grappling, chokes, and strikes, but focuses more on throws and joint locks. 

I do not have direct experience with Brazilian Ju-jitsu, but the way it was explained to me, "ju-jitsu" was something of a catch-all term for martial arts in Brazil at the time. It evolved in Brazil from Japanese Ju-jitsu mixed with strong groundwork elements (I'm not exactly sure what the other influences were). As far as I know, BJJ mainly focuses on grappling, with things like throws and joint locks more often part of groundwork or a lead in to groundwork. 

I'd be interested to hear your & @Kishi 's description of BJJ. 

All that being said, of course there are many schools and lineages, which will have their own styles and points of emphasis. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ViperN7 said:

Japanese Ju-jitsu arose as the unarmed martial art of the samurai. It mainly focuses on throws and joint locks (by extension trips, and also falls). At its core it deals with redirecting momentum, off balancing, and utilizing the way the body does (and does not) move. It involves grappling, chokes, and strikes, but focuses more on throws and joint locks. 

I do not have direct experience with Brazilian Ju-jitsu, but the way it was explained to me, "ju-jitsu" was something of a catch-all term for martial arts in Brazil at the time. It evolved in Brazil from Japanese Ju-jitsu mixed with strong groundwork elements (I'm not exactly sure what the other influences were). As far as I know, BJJ mainly focuses on grappling, with things like throws and joint locks more often part of groundwork or a lead in to groundwork. 

I'd be interested to hear your & @Kishi 's description of BJJ. 

BJJ? You mean combat cuddling?

Snark aside, BJJ is a hybrid of judo and JJJ with the ground work cranked up to 11. The story goes that a traveling judoka, Mitsuyo Maeda (2nd gen student of Jigoro Kano, the creator of kodokan judo), immigrated to Brazil and picked up work teaching his style of grappling to the Gracie family sons. The youngest of these, Helio Gracie, reportedly was too weak to do much of the more explosive work and pioneered a survivalist, leverage-oriented style of grappling that we know as BJJ today.

This story, of course, is hagiographical nonsense. Helio Gracie was, in fact, an athlete in his own right as a coxswain for a local rowing crew team as well as a competitive swimmer. In addition to these and "Kano Jiu Jitsu" (judo), he also studied catch wrestling, and at age 16 began teaching his own style of fighting that became known as "Gracie Jiu Jitsu." The kernel of truth is that, athlete though he was, Helio still didn't have the athleticism needed to actually do judo for all that he understood the theory. Maeda's judo was already heavy on ground work, so Helio took this and emphasized it further, creating the roots of the style as it exists today.

It is as you say, though: it's mainly focused on grappling on the ground. BJJ borrows quite cheerfully from judo and wrestling in terms of taking people down, but the takedown is the entrance to the fight proper rather than the end itself. From there, the game is about position and attempting to achieve joint locks/submission with a partner who is trying to do the same things to you.

• Like 1