Forums are back in action! ×

Weight Loss PVP: 10 or 12 lbs in 10 or 12 Weeks! [Jan 1 - Mar 26, 2023)

I went backwards a pound but part of that is water weight from simply not drinking enough to keep up with my activity the last 2 days.

And I'm sure some of it is from pure soreness. I can't move a single muscle without feeling it.... I helped move a house over the past 2 days this weekend. 

I'm not too terribly worried about it right now as it's Monday and I can get back on track fairly easily. Minus working out. I'm skipping my workout today to give my body a rest day since I've done either a workout or heavy manual labor for 4 days in a row. Depending on how I feel tonight/tomorrow morning I may do my Tuesday workout and maintain my Wednesday rest day or I may just give my body until Thursday and resume my regularly scheduled Thursday/Friday. I won't injure myself, though, by trying to do too much at once. However, I will be needing to kick my butt back on track nutrition-wise. Bit of a challenge to eat healthy when you're eating fast food on the go while moving. I didn't go to the store this weekend so I'm low on fresh veg and not very much option for frozen veg, but I will make it work one way or another. 

• Like 4

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:01 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Well, you've written it down here, and you can bet your arse we'll hold you accountable to it!  When next we check-in with weigh-ins, I want to hear all about the fitnessing you accomplished this week.  ?

Thanks for the accountability!  It took me all week to get to it but Sunday we went out for a walk at the lake.  2 miles.  It felt very good.  

My starting weight: 258.4

Week 2: 257.4 (down 1.0)

Week 3: skipped

Week 4: 256.6 (down 0.8)

Week 5: 256.4 (down 0.2)

Well at least it went down I guess.  It was my birthday weekend so there were plenty of indulgences.  New challenge starts today.  I'm back to logging food.  It's not working without it and I think I'm ready for my break from logging to be over.  Also setting a goal and getting to 75 minutes of cardio per week and doing 'Fitness Snacks' on days with no workout to keep my head in the game.  

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

3 hours ago, Darciana said:

I went backwards a pound but part of that is water weight from simply not drinking enough to keep up with my activity the last 2 days.

And I'm sure some of it is from pure soreness. I can't move a single muscle without feeling it.... I helped move a house over the past 2 days this weekend. 

I popped back up a pound too, but I had an extra serving of dessert (pumpkin cake) last night that was within my calories but over my carbohydrates, and we had takeout pizza this weekend (also within my cals but over in fats/carbs/salt) so I'm pretty sure I'm just carrying some extra water weight or bloat.  My wife mentioned I should try weighing in on Fridays instead of Mondays because we have a menu plan all week and that's what my health routine is based around.  So I might give that a go this week and see what the scale says by Friday!

I'm still sore from squats late last week.  Granted I hadn't squated in literally years, and then we went stomping around the conservation land behind our house to the tune of several several miles, but I'm looking forward to some light movement today to kickstart those back to feeling reliable again ?

7 minutes ago, Shello said:

Thanks for the accountability!  It took me all week to get to it but Sunday we went out for a walk at the lake.  2 miles.  It felt very good.  

That's what we're all here for!

7 minutes ago, Shello said:

Well at least it went down I guess.  It was my birthday weekend so there were plenty of indulgences.  New challenge starts today.  I'm back to logging food.  It's not working without it and I think I'm ready for my break from logging to be over.  Also setting a goal and getting to 75 minutes of cardio per week and doing 'Fitness Snacks' on days with no workout to keep my head in the game.  

As I mentioned above, down is down, in my books.

• Like 4

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

23 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I popped back up a pound too, but I had an extra serving of dessert (pumpkin cake) last night that was within my calories but over my carbohydrates, and we had takeout pizza this weekend (also within my cals but over in fats/carbs/salt) so I'm pretty sure I'm just carrying some extra water weight or bloat.  My wife mentioned I should try weighing in on Fridays instead of Mondays because we have a menu plan all week and that's what my health routine is based around.  So I might give that a go this week and see what the scale says by Friday!

I'm still sore from squats late last week.  Granted I hadn't squated in literally years, and then we went stomping around the conservation land behind our house to the tune of several several miles, but I'm looking forward to some light movement today to kickstart those back to feeling reliable again ?

I did have alcohol, too, which didn't help the weigh in or the water intake issue. And we had pizza last night (frozen, not takeout). Fortunately we all prefer thin crust so it doesn't hurt as bad. The joys of getting home too late to thaw and cook anything before bed but still being hungry.

I should probably weigh in Fridays instead, as well, as my weekends are so spur of the moment and almost nothing is planned. Just wake up and see where the universe takes us. At least through the week I have a routine, and sometimes even a food plan. Wife is brilliant, please give her my thanks for the idea! 

For today I'm hoping the weather holds out and I can take the pups for a nice walk after work before dinner is done. The new pup, Smoke, has only been on 2 walks since we got him and I have a new leash to try out (a single handle that Ys into 2 leashes. Two separate leashes with 2 crazy hyper dogs, one still learning, does not bode well. I end up with my arms tied in knots and my legs bound up haha!). Hoping the walk will help loosen up the legs and I've been doing upper body/shoulder stretches at my desk during meetings. Hoping tomorrow can be a workout day and I can feel back on track without overdoing it. I'm feeling particularly lost not having done anything this morning. Tomorrow is cardio sprints which I'll likely do on the rower, so not anything too crazy to make me even worse off in the movement department so I think I'll aim for it simply for my mental health (the perfectionism is kicking in and until today, I've only missed one single scheduled workout since January 1st. My brain doesn't like this whole missing things. Though I'm giving myself grace as I did "work out" Saturday and Sunday, unscheduled, with functional fitness AKA heavy lifting and moving and rest days are very important)

• Like 3

You don't have to be perfect, you just have to be better than you were before. Do that every day and you will succeed.

My weight was about the same, but my measurements were down slightly. And I know I am fitting better in my clothes. I was a bit frustrated with my lack of progress, but then I listened to a podcast and it was helpful. They talked about people who don't have a lot of weight to lose actually do better with body recomp. Which is just very slowly losing weight, but also putting on a bit of muscle. You are just right about maintenance.  The drawback with this approach is that it can be super slow.. The pro is that you have enough calories to build muscle, and you can sustain it for longer. And I think that's the  spot I'm at right now. Which is  a good spot. I just need to realize that it is slow, and be fine with that.

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

My weight was about the same, but my measurements were down slightly. And I know I am fitting better in my clothes. I was a bit frustrated with my lack of progress, but then I listened to a podcast and it was helpful. They talked about people who don't have a lot of weight to lose actually do better with body recomp. Which is just very slowly losing weight, but also putting on a bit of muscle. You are just right about maintenance.  The drawback with this approach is that it can be super slow.. The pro is that you have enough calories to build muscle, and you can sustain it for longer. And I think that's the  spot I'm at right now. Which is  a good spot. I just need to realize that it is slow, and be fine with that.

Which podcast is this? I've been thinking about listening to a productive podcast while doing mundane mindless work tasks.

Doing my weigh in now to try to get the data before the inevitable big Superbowl weekend weight gain! Nah, I don't plan on eating much. The man goes out of town at 4am Monday morning so we're probably leaving at halftime and chilling at home away from all the shnacky shnacks. 

I'm down 1.1 since Monday (good ol' sodium bloat banished) and down 0.3 since the 30th of January. 

I just finished shopping and got some more eggs, artichoke hearts, and spinach. I may grab some fruit as I have to go back in town to get my other vehicle inspected for registration and stop by WallyWorld (Wal-Mart) for a doggy crate for the little man. Smoke is NOT house trained when nobody is home. Apparently he has separation anxiety like Harley did. She's learned not to destroy the house, though. 

• Like 3

On 2/8/2023 at 7:25 AM, Darciana said:

Which podcast is this? I've been thinking about listening to a productive podcast while doing mundane mindless work tasks.

The Strong and Lean at Any Age Podcast - Susan Nierbergall Fitness (susanniebergallfitness.com)

I really like this podcast. She is in her 60's and there is lots of great information, plus it is interesting.  However, I do have a caveat. She is big into tough love- her answers when someone is just struggling with something is to tell them to just do it. Which does have a place, sometimes we need to hear that. But, as someone who is trying to talk to myself a little less like that, I  don't listen to it when I'm struggling with being too tough on myself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

The Strong and Lean at Any Age Podcast - Susan Nierbergall Fitness (susanniebergallfitness.com)

I really like this podcast. She is in her 60's and there is lots of great information, plus it is interesting.  However, I do have a caveat. She is big into tough love- her answers when someone is just struggling with something is to tell them to just do it. Which does have a place, sometimes we need to hear that. But, as someone who is trying to talk to myself a little less like that, I  don't listen to it when I'm struggling with being too tough on myself.

Funny you say about talking to yourself a little less like the tough love, I started a podcast: https://billierisboskin.com/ready-to-lose-podcast-2/ and she's all about being stern with the boundaries you set for yourself, but by doing so in a kind manner. She focuses on living as if you were the future self you want to be. If your future self is a business owner who works out for an hour 3 times a week and eats healthy but intuitively and doesn't give in to peer pressure at the bar to drink when she doesn't want to, then you have to treat yourself like you're already her and have those boundaries. You're no longer living based on who you used to be, you're living as if you're already your desired future self. I'm only 10 in, but I really love her approach. 

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

31 minutes ago, Darciana said:

unny you say about talking to yourself a little less like the tough love, I started a podcast: https://billierisboskin.com/ready-to-lose-podcast-2/ and she's all about being stern with the boundaries you set for yourself, but by doing so in a kind manner. She focuses on living as if you were the future self you want to be. If your future self is a business owner who works out for an hour 3 times a week and eats healthy but in

Interesting. Maybe that's the balance being stern with your boundaries, but doing so in a kind manner, of who you want to be.

• Like 3

*busts in late and disheveled a la Cosmo Kramer*

I just noticed this PVP was up and I’m so in, if you all will have me. My main goal is to lose inches and fitting well into my cute jeans again. Not super fussy about pounds, except that I’m nursing a knee injured from skiing so lugging around a little less bodyweight can probably only help.

The injury has also made me a lot less active than I would usually be, with the horrifying knock on effect of reducing calorie budget (sob). A silver lining that my physio is encouraging me to see is that I’m now being a lot more diverse in my daily movement… since Covid I have barely darkened the door of a gym, gotten by with walking everywhere (and cycling in summer season). I bit the bullet and renewed campus gym membership and have been working on stationary bikes, a way better set of weights than I have at home, and pool use (swimming and deep water running). 

Yesterday’s win was prepping veggie- and protein-heavy lunches (Greek sheet pan chicken, woo) and snacks (turkey meatballs). Today’s main goals are to stay within calorie budget, and move a fair amount but not overboard. That translates to walking either to work or home from work, but not both, and hitting the gym for a lifting workout plus some physio-prescribed exercises. Nothing I couldn’t do at home, but there’s ubiquitous dog hair on the floor at home (not to mention three boisterous and affectionate labs slobbering on me) and not at the gym! Gotta take advantage!

• Like 5

Week 6: 256.0 (down 0.4)

Slow going.  Friday was madness so it makes sense that it slowed weigh loss.  Otherwise I logged every day and stayed within calorie budgets.  Got most of my fitnessing in but it was a busy week and a migraine happened in there at some point.  Next week will be rough with lots of social engagements on the calendar  that revolve around food.  

• Like 4

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

NERD ALERT

I geeked out on Sunday by constructing a spreadsheet of the past 30 days’ calories in and out, tracked against weight, and roughly figured out my own BMR. This seems higher than the value I get from putting in age/sex/height/weight info online, but I’ll give it a shot! Tweaked caloric goals to accommodate that and take daily activity into account, and I suddenly seem to have more wiggle room. Fingers crossed that parameterizing with my own data will work and that my math isn’t off! Ha!

Solid day yesterday, walked to campus and to the gym for a weights workout, so there was lots of activity. According to the new plan I had some caloric room for fritos at end of day, so, went for it.

• That's Metal 3
4 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

NERD ALERT

I geeked out on Sunday by constructing a spreadsheet of the past 30 days’ calories in and out, tracked against weight, and roughly figured out my own BMR. This seems higher than the value I get from putting in age/sex/height/weight info online, but I’ll give it a shot! Tweaked caloric goals to accommodate that and take daily activity into account, and I suddenly seem to have more wiggle room. Fingers crossed that parameterizing with my own data will work and that my math isn’t off! Ha!

Solid day yesterday, walked to campus and to the gym for a weights workout, so there was lots of activity. According to the new plan I had some caloric room for fritos at end of day, so, went for it.

MMMmm. Spreadsheets! 

• Haha 3

Finally bouncing back from battle with the Migraine Boss, weighed in at a pleasing 230.1lbs and hoping to see that sweet, sweet sub-230 level up next week B)  that actually puts me at 10.2lbs of my 12lb goal already!   But that won't be enough... even if we see it, I'll be reforging the goal to keep on keepin' on.

On 2/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, TiogaGirl said:

I just noticed this PVP was up and I’m so in, if you all will have me.

Glad to have you anytime!  Welcome again :D 

• Like 6

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Down a solid pound from last week! 162.1 to 161.1.

Total lost since Jan 1: 3.3lbs

Total lost since Jan 9th (highest weight ever logged in my life): 4.4lbs

I won't quite reach the 10 or 12lbs, but any loss here is good. I've begun working out more and I'm focused on maintaining/gaining muscle while reducing fat so scale loss will likely be slower anyway. I'm content with the fact that I've formed some good habits to take forward. It was a rough start, I was late to the party, but I'm finally settling in and my body is realizing what the plan is with some resistance, but not so much I can't overcome. 

• Like 2
  • That's Metal 1

Weighed about the same - I actually weigh daily and it’s been bouncing up and down a pound or so all week. Waist is down a full inch though! 

Weight Loss Body Positivity GIF by American Beauty Clinic

This week I get to check out a new set of workouts, moving from full body each workout to one arm/shoulder day, one quad/ab day, one back/chest day, one glutes/hammies/ab day.  AND I picked up some walking shoes that feel great, so hoping to maintain a good activity level as we sloooooowly bust into spring.

• Like 4
On 2/20/2023 at 4:46 AM, TiogaGirl said:

Weighed about the same - I actually weigh daily and it’s been bouncing up and down a pound or so all week. Waist is down a full inch though! 

Weight Loss Body Positivity GIF by American Beauty Clinic

This week I get to check out a new set of workouts, moving from full body each workout to one arm/shoulder day, one quad/ab day, one back/chest day, one glutes/hammies/ab day.  AND I picked up some walking shoes that feel great, so hoping to maintain a good activity level as we sloooooowly bust into spring.

Congrats on losing  an inch on the waist.

• Like 2

Jumping in with my Friday weigh-in. 

Finally have things setup and prioritized for self-care that fall into weightloss. 

Hormone and gut changes always make the scale go up and down, but I luckily have resources to minimize. 

This week I have meal planned, have it planned out for 4 meals a day with veggies, jerky and protein powder for helping get through the changes. Here for the extra support and give it back to!

-

Also thank you for who shared your workout playlist, I've been needing more inspiration. Here's the new one I made for the new year:

• Like 5

"Operation Bad*ss" Starts 9/1/2024

Quest 1: Level up Basecamp

Week 6: 256.0 (down 0.4)

Week 7: 256.4 (back up 0.4)

I realized I forgot to post after Monday's weigh in.  Last week was a dumpster fire.  I'm amazed I'm only up .4.  I'll take it.  The beginning of this week has been a bit of a struggle but I tried on a dress the other night for my wedding.  I was pleased with how the dress looked but less pleased with how I looked in it.  I'm feeling a little more focused on the end game as a result.  Except I still broke my fast early yesterday and had a caramel pecan roll.   The struggle is real.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Oooh, I just got a coveted show choir solo for our June show. (Anne of Cleves from Six, woohoo)

More motivation to look my absolute best so please please please help me stay accountable!

workouts have been solid this week: arms/shoulders Monday, quads/abs Tuesday, back/chest today, I think something glutey on Saturday. Woo!

Congrats on the solo!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TiogaGirl said:

Oooh, I just got a coveted show choir solo for our June show. (Anne of Cleves from Six, woohoo)

More motivation to look my absolute best so please please please help me stay accountable!

workouts have been solid this week: arms/shoulders Monday, quads/abs Tuesday, back/chest today, I think something glutey on Saturday. Woo!

Amazing job! Congrats! 

• Like 1

Up 0.1lb from last Friday, not bad all things considered. 

I'm dealing with some serious hormone-induced bloating (gotta love out of whack bodies!)  so I'm being forgiving towards myself. I had one day I went off the rails a bit and ate at about maintenance with not-so-healthy choices. One day won't completely undo all my hard work. Otherwise, everything has been good, food-wise, too! 

This weekend might be tricky with a crawfish boil for a friend's birthday (we usually do one around spring break so we're pushing it up a little since birthday girl and her hubby will be in town) but hoping all these habits I've built will get me through and next week can show a loss. Especially since I did see the 160.x range a few times in the last week. Also, since my body decided to be wacky a little longer than anticipated, I'm hoping it'll settle down in the next couple days and this bloat (and associated weight) will drop off for next week's check in, too!

Workouts have been good. 

I made a realization. I don't hate working out, but I don't love it either. I don't even particularly like it. I just like what I get from it: feeling strong, feeling accomplished, the happy endorphin rush after, etc. If I'm going to make this a regular part of life, I need to be brutally honest with myself and others. This is me doing that. 

Henceforth I acknowledge: I don't like to work out. I don't hate what I'm doing right now but I don't look forward to waking up and doing it, either. I recognize it is a part of my day just like everything else. I mean, I don't particularly like being stuck at work on the computer all day when the weather is beautiful and the sun is shining and I could be outside enjoying nature instead. But I sure do appreciate that paycheck every other week! ? When I frame working out like work or any other similar situation in life, it makes it so much easier for me to just do the dang thing and be done with it. At this point, I'm just thankful I found something I can tolerate enough to stick with it longer than a week. We are approaching 2 full months of working out consistently so it's obviously working. 

• Like 1
  • That's Metal 3