Forums are back in action! ×

Can I unbugger my knees?

shadowkat

Yes, yes you very possibly can! It might not be the same thing, but I had horribly crunchy (and increasingly painful) knees a few years ago and eventually went to a physiotherapist. My kneecaps weren't tracking correctly because of an imbalance in tension between my leg muscles/iliotibial band. She gave me a bunch of exercises to do that made a world of difference. I'd recommend seeing a professional, but otherwise, google: patellar tracking exercises for some things to try.

"she interpreted falling down not merely as a means of improving, but as evidence that she was improving." - Matthew Syed on Shizuka Arakawa.Frost elf assassin after 4 challenges: STR: 11 | DEX: 12 | STA: 7.5 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA: 5.5My Fitocracy profile"

Check out this mobility WOD from K-Star. It'll hurt a little bit, but his stuff really works. I haven't had major knee problems, but another of his WODs fixed my hip flexors, so I buy it.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Yes yes to the above mobility link posted and the recommendation to stretch the entirety of your legs and lower back out. Treat your knees well and they will lube up for you.

Also what lemongranita said, find the cause of the crunching, if the stretching and mobility hasn't lessened it after a couple of weeks, or if you're getting pain alongisde the crunching, it might be crumbled up cartilage under the patella.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Do you wear knee braces? The support while exercising will help strengthen your tendons to catch up to your muscles.

Journey to You: Coaching, Mentoring, and Personal Growth

World 6 Level 5 | Epic Quest | Toastmasters: Where Leaders are Made | Institute for Jedi Realist Studies | Extra Life 2023 | YouTube Channel | Epic Nerd Camp

"No.  Try not.  Do... or do not.  There is no try." -- Yoda | "We are what we repeatedly do."  -- Aristotle

Spoiler

Distinguished Toastmaster Agnostic Rationalist Jedi Dwarf Black Belt Martial Artist Monk Ranger Assassin Engineer Scientist Philosopher Student Nerd
World 6 Level 4 Stats: STR 150.0 | DEX 160.75 | STA 151.0 | CON 152.0 | WIS 158.0 | CHA 150.0

World 1 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22World 2 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]  

World 3 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12World 4 Level [1, 2 (post lost), 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11]

World 5 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] World 6 Level [1, 2, 3, 4, 4.5]

“If you are willing to be terrible at something for a short period of time, you can be great at anything.” -- Sinbad (Stand-Up Comedian)

Go to a physical thearipist. I know alot of people think they suck but they really are GREAT! You get custom excerises to fit your exact issue. They will have to do some basic movements to see what is wrong and then work with you from there. I have been two times. (I have a disorder so my knees are hypermobile in every direction so if I don't build up muscle aroung them they dislocate....) It is truely amazing. Thoug don't let them give you laundry lists of excersizes without a plan on when and how to do them. The last place I went to gave my 20 excersizes to do. I am going to call them back because I can spend an hour on just my knees every day and that is just not realistic. If you can't just go ask your doctor for a referal they are normally good at leting you do that.

Dwarf driud lvl 3Str 2 | dex 2 | sta 3 | con 4 | wis 4 | cha 6

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/34200-me-battles-sugar-sprites/

As someone with 2 basically ruined knees, it can get better.  Mobility stuff helps, as does strengthening all the muscles around the knee, so it doesn't have to do as much work - think quads, hammies, adductors, abductors, calves, etc.  

Do they crunch when/if you bike?

Do you ever get a weird clicking feeling/noise or feeling like the knee has locked up for a second?

I will endorse the recommendation of going to see a good sports PT.  I had little luck with even knee oriented doctors, but my PT helped me so much.   Even if you just go for one or two sessions (they'll want you to do more), but once you know the correct exercises for your specific issues, you can usually do them at home.  But make sure you do them, and do them properly!  I fell into the trap of wanting to take the free way out and see if I could fix them myself first and ended up just getting more injured.

Archived