Forums are back in action! ×

LGBTQA and Ally Safe Space

Thanks, guys. And I hope you are just as crazy, because I know I am.

I think you'll fit in juuuust fine then. =P

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Context for coming out at work: my company is one of Canada's Top 100 Employer's and consistently places well in LGBT and equality things. We have an LGBT Network, we have policies for people who want to transition while working here, there are company-approved places for people to talk about LGBT stuff, including transition, we have LGBT senior leaders, and one of the senior leaders is bi and poly. So I know that theoretically at least there's corporate-level support ... on paper. It's my coworkers that I have to see every day who really would have to decide if they were comfortable with it or not.

• Like 6

Context for coming out at work: my company is one of Canada's Top 100 Employer's and consistently places well in LGBT and equality things. We have an LGBT Network, we have policies for people who want to transition while working here, there are company-approved places for people to talk about LGBT stuff, including transition, we have LGBT senior leaders, and one of the senior leaders is bi and poly. So I know that theoretically at least there's corporate-level support ... on paper. It's my coworkers that I have to see every day who really would have to decide if they were comfortable with it or not.

Wow..  the on paper aspects are impressive. 

• Like 1

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,
--------------------------------------------------
STR 0     ||   DEX 0    ||  STA 0
CON 0     ||    WIS 0    ||  CHA 0
--------------------------------------------------

So I know that theoretically at least there's corporate-level support ... on paper. It's my coworkers that I have to see every day who really would have to decide if they were comfortable with it or not.

If your company has on paper so much, most likely there will be also something like "if you don't agree with this, please leave". So if your colleagues are not comfortable it is their problem, not yours. I mean, if they cannot adjust and threat you with the respect you deserve as a human being, they are the ones in the wrong place. The decision about not speaking should be dictated by how a private person you are in general, not by how well they could adjust.

But, again, I am transitioning at work, and very pragmatic about it. So my point is: you seems to be in a safe place (there are rules, and people enforcing them), so you should do what makes YOU AND ONLY YOU confortable

In any case, good luck :)

• Like 1

Tkal, level 8 Dwarf assassin playing with the monks

STR 13.5 | DEX 19.25 | STA 16 | CON 18.75 | WIS 18 | CHA 14.5

My walls (aka: random log) | Intro | Challenge 1 with tracker | Aborted Challenge 2 | "Real" challenge 2 | Challenge 3
Challenge 4 | (never started)Challenge 5 | (super short) Challenge 5 | (third is a charm) Challenge 5 | Challenge 6
Challenge 7 | Challenge 8

"Patience you must learn"

wow. I think just talking about a company like that in America is illegal or something :( 

I hope it goes as well as you want it to :) and I'm glad your FB fam took it well :D 

• Like 3

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid  :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

wow. I think just talking about a company like that in America is illegal or something :( 

I hope it goes as well as you want it to :) and I'm glad your FB fam took it well :D

We have a US parent, actually. They also score pretty highly for equality stuff, and include protections for LGBT people even when they aren't protected at the state level. The policies for people transitioning and the network covers both Canada and the US.

• Like 1

I came out as poly and agender on Facebook over the last couple of weeks. So far, it's been a pretty positive response overall. :) Thinking about if I want to do the same at work ...

Since your company is so progressive, I say go for it if it will put you more at ease to be out. When my company started offering domestic partner benefits and also made sexual orientation a protected status, I decided to come out because if I was out on paper (I was in a relationship at the time and started getting insurance for my partner), then I was going to be out to coworkers as well. I was pretty sure no one would care (I was right), but I also figured if someone was going to be a jerk about it then this was also my opportunity to stand up to them with the company backing me up. 

You might be surprised, Bekah. Not all workplaces are progressive, of course, but if they choose to be they can change a lot faster than laws do. HRC has a buyer's guide intended to inform people of where a number of companies weigh in on LGBT treatment in the workplace. It's intended to help you make informed decisions on where you may want to spend your money, of course, but you can just as easily use it to guide where you might apply for a job. ;)

HRC Buyer's Guide

• Like 2

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Given what you've said about your company, I don't think you'll run into any problems. Maybe write out a letter for your coworkers, and have an link-list for people to do further research if they ask questions? And also stipulate what exactly you will be doing / want from them. Sorta like 

"Hi im agender, which means [this] to me. In the future i will be doing [this] and you can support me by doing [this]. I would greatly appreciate it. If you have questions you can always come and ask me, but please check out the links below for the basics - [attach references]"

• Like 2

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

WHAT COMPANY IS THIS??

And, more importantly, are they hiring?

WHAT COMPANY IS THIS??

I would so apply if I was in Canada

And this is why I shouldn't be allowed on Tumblr

tumblr_mlf366wNpN1rlynuno1_500.jpg

Because dogs are awesome (though cats are cooler)

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

WHAT COMPANY IS THIS??

Haha I can PM it to you if you'd really like to know. Considering what I share here, I will never ever ever ever ever write it out in a publicly-accessible place. :-p

I would so apply if I was in Canada

It's a US company and I'm part of the Canadian offices. ;)

Thanks guys. :D

• Like 2

Oh, we all float down here...

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOPE! 

*runs away*

It.jpg

• Like 2

ColoQ  ||   Level: 0
Techno Troll  ||  Assassin   
=========================
Current Challenge: 0 - V.2
Previous Challenges: ,