Forums are back in action! ×

Cellphones...yet again

KillerGriller

Yes, I know this topic has been covered before, and I have looked through those posts however technology moves so fast that often those threads become obsolete within a few weeks/months of posting.

Background: My wife and I have a really basic cellphone plan that pre-dates data plans. We have texting and voice, that’s it. The beauty of it is that our phone bill combined is as much as many of my data-enabled friend’s bills singularly. We aren’t technophobes by any means, but certainly haven’t seen the necessity of being connected 24/7. Today my Blackberry decided it would lock itself into an infinite reboot loop, I may or may not being to debug it, but think it’s prudent to think ahead (it’s been behaving oddly for the past little while).

One problem I’m facing is that if I use the upgrade option (many phones are free or severely discounted) with my carrier (Rogers in Canada) I probably won’t be able to get a smart phone without getting a data package which I’m not ready to take on. If I try and buy my own phone it could be costly.

My wants (outside of voice and texting use): I’d like a nice camera, music and video capabilities, I haven’t researched apps but aren’t opposed to the thought of them, GPS, ease of use…

Soooo…what’s everyone carrying and why? I know the iPhone is the phone of choice for many, but is it worth it? Can I use one properly with wi-fi capability only? What about android options (again, wifi capability is preferred)?

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

It isn't the greatest phone, but you can buy the Pantech Crossover for like $70 on amazon. It runs Android 2.1 (and 2.2 capable I think?) I use it as Wi-Fi only (no data plan either)

I used the iPhone 3g WiFi only as well, that was pretty good, but it can be expensive (mine was given to me as a gift. hand me down)

I have the iPhone 4 and it is easily the best purchase dollar for dollar I have ever made. I'm not a technophile either and didn't really think I'd use it all that much for the perks and originally got it just to have a smart phone with a good web browser that could also replace my ipod. I've had it for about a year now and have gone from using my laptop 4-5 times a week to using it less than once a month. My phone is my primary web browser and my primary portal to my e-mail.

The apps are what really makes it great even for the simple things you would have never thought of. I have apps for my bank, this forum, a calorie tracker, a workout tracker, a photo uploading app (snapbucket) and more. I have apps that have fully replaced the following devices: a driving gps (turn by turn talk to me app called waze), kindle (kindle app), golf gps, camera, and ipod.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest ApptivGames

I have an iPhone 4 and love it. Of course, I also have the data plan because I need access to my email and internet as I'm on the go. It's costly, but it's a business writeoff too.

You could get an iPhone 4 on eBay and avoid having to pay any data package charges. They only require you to pay for data if you buy an iPhone from the carrier at the subsidized price I believe.

With the iPhone 5 coming out in about a month, you should start seeing some pretty good deals on the old iPhone 4. Don't bother with a 4S, you won't notice the difference between the two if you are new the the iPhone.

There's a million Android phones out there too which you could probably score for less. I'm not a fan personally, but I know many are.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys. An iPhone 4 is tempting, unfortunately buying a used one in decent condition (and not stolen) is still $400+...it's do-able but still a kick in the groin...

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

I'd vote for the iPhone 4 too. (Note: not the iPhone 4s, simply because it's newer therefore costs more and the additional features probably aren't necessary to you).

The iP4 has a great camera, wifi, good music/video capability and apps. I have one at the moment and I'm happy with it, not looking to get a new phone untill this one dies. But when I do I think I'll change to Android.

Soon I think Apple will anounce the iPhone 5, which should drop prices on all the old handsets, and people on 2 year contracts will ditch their 4 and should flood the market, making it easier to get one on the cheap. Then you just need to find a plan that doesn't do data, I know here in Australia that is still possible. It'd be great if you could stay on your current plan, but you'll need to get a new sim card as the iPhone 4 (and newer) have micro sims, that are smaller than the standards. Maybe you could just get a new sim on your current plan?

If you can't wait that long, look at getting a cheap Android. Won't be as good for sure, but you should be able to get a basic cheapie that will tide you over, and introduce you to a bunch of smart phone features.

Soooo…what’s everyone carrying and why? I know the iPhone is the phone of choice for many, but is it worth it? Can I use one properly with wi-fi capability only? What about android options (again, wifi capability is preferred)?

I have a iPhone 4s, I brought it off the apple site, and the older models are cheaper, I am only prepaid so I don't have a data plan, to save money I actually have the Internet turned off and only use wi-fi. Personally I feel like I'm not missing out on much if anything by only using wi-fi. If I had a data plan I would only use it to check facebook, twitter or nerdfitness when I'm out if I want, but I don't really care if I can't. I also love my phone

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

good news: I was able to get my phone working again so the emergency portion of my post is gone, but I'm still doing my research just in case it has a full on corranary soon

Another option that was brought up by another friend was looking for a Samsung Galaxy. Now that Apple has won in court, there should be a lot of stock that Samsung can't sell in the US...which might work well for me.

Now that I have the luxury of time, waiting for dropped IP4 to hit the used market as people run to the 5 is an option as well...I didn't know about the microSim thing though...hmmm...

If things become dire, I'll jump to a standard phone and forget the whole thing.

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

If you want a decent camera with decent video recording + a decent music player and store/library, and an option away from the iPhone. Why not a Samsung Galaxy S2, those are cheap now the S3 is out. You can just call your carrier and ensure that GPRS is switched off on the service.

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I have the Galaxy Nexus and really dig it. The company I work for pays for the service.

One thing you would have to think about if you are using GPS is the map would need an offline mode if you are not getting a data plan. I don't know about the iPhone but if I remember correctly Google added that to one of the map updates.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

I don't remember what exactly my old phone was, but it was a 12-key slider that had a 1.3 camera and supposedly music capability. (Hey, I should dig one of those out and see if it still holds a charge; I tend to fry MP3 players.) As soon as went went proper smartphone, if you could call one that runs win7 a real smartphone, we also needed to agree to a data plan. (America, ATT.)

Edit: pretty much the only advantages I have with a smartphone is that it holds my grocery list, and I have a decent selection of free games. With native GPS services disabled, that function is pretty much a toy.

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

If you want good video capability, avoid older models of iPhone (3gs and earlier, I believe). They do not have video built in and the apps that allowed it weren't really high quality. The newer models do have built in video. They usually have better battery life than Android, but that is not always a given and with Andy, you can buy a cheaper backup battery when/if it starts failing instead of sending the iPhone in and paying pretty much the price of a new iPhone.

Also, I've heard of problems with using iPhones without a data plan. I knew a kid that got an iPhone and put his prepaid card (don't know the carrier) and they sent so many texts telling him to get a data plan on it. This was a year or two ago, so this may have changed since.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Also, I've heard of problems with using iPhones without a data plan. I knew a kid that got an iPhone and put his prepaid card (don't know the carrier) and they sent so many texts telling him to get a data plan on it. This was a year or two ago, so this may have changed since.

Really? I'm prepaid as well, and got my iPhone late last year, and so far yet to get a text about going on any sort of plan

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

I use an Android without data. Works just fine, and you can set cellular data off on the iPhone as well. To be honest, there's enough places with free wi-fi around my city that I don't miss it all that much. If anything, it keeps me from being distracted at social gatherings. Plus, I'm not important enough to get gobs of e-mails that need immediate attention.

But I know some carriers don't (or can't) sell the iPhone discounted unless you get a data plan, so it might be cheaper to go Android.

PR's

5k - 21:29

10k - 47:26 43:29

21.1 - 2:05:26 1:44:21

Really? I'm prepaid as well, and got my iPhone late last year, and so far yet to get a text about going on any sort of plan

That is what he said, but I don't know how truthful it was. By the time I heard the story, he already put a 30-06 through the screen. So, no real proof.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Having a smartphone is nice because you can check the Internet from anywhere. I find this handy for looking up phone numbers, directions, email, etc. But if this isn't a great need for you, then don't get a smartphone; they are expensive, distracting, somewhat high maintenance, and attractive to thieves.

I have a Droid X, which was $200 with a Verizon plan renewal, and I have found it quite satisfactory. My only complaints are: battery runs down fast (only when screen or apps are active, phone will run for a couple days if it's not used much), and the data plan is expensive. I don't pay my own data plan currently; when this becomes my responsibility, I will probably sell the phone and buy a non-smart phone. It's been fun having Internet access on the go, but it's a luxury I can live without.

Personally, I decline to use an iPhone or any other Apple product, except an old iPod which I got as a gift years ago (and I don't use iTunes to load it). Droids are the most customizable phones, if you're the "power user" sort, but if you like the closed box, "user friendly" approach, an iPhone might be more your speed. I don't think they are better quality than other phones, any more than iPods were better than other music players, but they are the commonest and therefore the support for them is pretty good.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Archived