Forums are back in action! ×

Overcoming clumsiness

Fiachan

So, I've been contemplating which guild I want to be a part of permanently. I'm having a hard time deciding, hence Adventurers. But one of the ones that appeals to me is the Assassin guild. The idea of climbing things, jumping off things, jumping out and scaring people--er, I would love to do those things. However, I have a problem with being clumsy. Not in a lack of hand-eye coordination kind of clumsy. But freaky things happen to me clumsy. Vacuuming the stairs...pull the vacuum cleaner down on top of my head. Pull a throw blanket up when climbing into bed and somehow the tassel lands in my mouth and down my throat chocking me. I know part of my problem is rushing. Rushing down the stairs and fall. Hurrying out of the bathroom, and smack hand on door jam.

Can I overcome this obstacle? Or for my own safety should I say away from becoming an assassin?

Wandering Artist Level 2

STR: 7 | DEX: 2 | CON: 6 | STA: 4 | WIS: 3.5 | CHA: 3My ArtChallenge Thread: Is Someone Baking Something?"Are all people like this?""Like what?""So much bigger on the inside."

Me too! I blame it on the leprechauns. Actually, I don't see why it would cause you to have issues with Assassin-y things, because most clumsy people I know are pretty fearless (why be scared of falling while doing awesome things when you already fall doing mundane tasks?); it's just a matter of discipline and practice. Just start on the ground and work your way up.

*edit*

I love the quote in your siggy; I'm a Who fan, too. :-)

"A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination." -Nelson Mandela

watch and learn from this video...

http://growingbolder.com/media/health/aging/never-leave-the-playground-793777.html

and mindfulness overcomes all obstacles :)

if you are an assassin and push the limits a bit, you are gonna fall, you are gonna hurt yourself to one degree or another, the trick though is progression. you start small and build up from there. This is how you see skilled dudes doing amazing parkour jumps.. truth is they practiced that jump at 2 feet 1000 times, then 3 feet, then 4 feet.. etc. These people have built up such a mindfulness, such an awareness of their body and their environment, that they do stuff that to us seems death defying.

also don't forget that if you do body weight training thats also part of the Assassin trade, you don't have to do all kinds of crazy stuff like I do like in this video -

3Wh7vyoORw-Kk7kIaJdLpzc

and btw, I look all boss in that video , but what the video doesn't show is that on the 3rd time doing that I fell pretty hard and I could of hurt myself very badly, as it was I smacked my shoulder and the back of my head on the large boulders in the stream when I fell.. but I survived and got back up on that tree (with extreme fear of course) a short time later.

"Why do we fall? so we can learn to pick ourselves up again ". If you want to join us Assassin types you are more then welcome, we'll train ya right ;)

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

That video was really inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

Vacuuming the stairs...pull the vacuum cleaner down on top of my head.

I'm sorry but that really made me laugh. (I hope you didn't get [too] hurt from it!)

And I'd say parkour and body weight training (core parts of assassinhood) are great ways of overcoming clumsiness, so don't hesitate on joining!

Ash nazg durbatulûk

Îα είσαι καλÏτεÏος άνθÏωπος από τον πατέÏα σου

â–²STR 7 | DEX 11 | STA 6 | CON 6 | WIS 9 | CHA 5â–²

I would think that if one of your goals was to become less clumsy (ie more aware of your body and it's movements) then i would think Assassin would be the perfect place to go. You dont jump right into acting out scenes from Assassin's Creed... you start off small and learn to safely move. I am facing the same delima in about 30 lbs...

LEVEL 4Time Lord RangerSTR 6 / DEX 4 / STA 8 / CON 6 / WIS 3 / CHA 2Architect of Evolution: Blog

Not clumsiness, but I have vertigo. Like bad vertigo. I joined the assassin because I wanted to do mostly body weight stuff, then became interested by climbing because someone said that it was like solving puzzle with your own body. I don't remember the name of this person, but she changed my life :D At first, I said that I would try climbing after a few levels here, but other assassins convinced me to try asap. I listened to them and 1 week and half later, I had my first bloc climbing session.

It was awful.

I couldn't climb very high, was stuck in the middle of the problem, terrified, trembling, tears in my eyes. But I keep it on. Baby steps. I fell, hurt myself several times, my hands are a mess but today a girl told me that she wanted to be as good as me one day. I'm not even good, but it made me happy to see that I progressed. I'm still terrified sometimes, but my brains starts slowly to acknowledge my body strength.

tl;dr: Do it, assassins will be proud to welcome you :)

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

That is a good reason to join. I didn't drop the vacuum on my head, but I did fall down the stairs with the vacuum. And I sprained my finger once when a jar fell out of her cupboard and I tried to catch it and bent my finger back. And I'm afraid of heights(or was I'm working on oercafoming that fear) I joined the assasins because of the bodyweight aspect, I figured I'd let the non clumsy people do the gymanstics-parkour stuff. But you can't help but get excited and want to try some of the stuff. I've praciticed forward rolls, climbing and jumping. I have learned much more body awareness. I still rush through things (dropped a glass last week because I wasn't paying attention to how close to the edge it was) but I'm at least able to jump out the way sooner.

Nualla: That is a great story. Thanks for sharing. I want to do my first climb and I'm scared of freezing up. I'll remember-its ok baby steps are just fine

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I wouldn't worry about joining a guild "permanently", it's not like once you're in one your'e there for life. Give the assassins a try, and if you figure out it's not your thing, you've still got other guilds to try.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

I wouldn't worry about joining a guild "permanently", it's not like once you're in one your'e there for life. Give the assassins a try, and if you figure out it's not your thing, you've still got other guilds to try.

True, you can switch guilds in a differant challenge. Of course, the assassins are so awesome you won't want to change though.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

But...once I know the secret handshake, you'll just let me walk away? :P

oh you'll be able to walk away.. your mind won't quite be intact though..

Assassin: Rank: 6 (Disciple) STR: 10 DEX: 20 STA: 7 CON: 6 WIS: 6 CHA: 5
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
"Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he indeed is the noblest victor who conquers himself." - Buddha
Height: 5'9" Weight: 215lbs Age: 34
|RW's Chronicle(log)| RW's Introduction|Fitocracy|Challenge|

Archived