Forums are back in action! ×

Non-sappy Non-sickly quotes about love/partnership/marriage?

Pookie

I do hope this is ok, to put here, but I figured a book forum is a great place to ask for quotes!

We are getting married on 13th July and our table decorations are going to be piles of old books, wrapped with ribbon and a flower, with an old fashioned luggage tag with a quote on it.

I have quotes from a Hunter-Killer assassin droid from a Star Wars game (HK-47), a quote from Skyrim, one from Gormenghast .... 

...not sickly cutesy ones, gushing nonsense ones...

That's not us.

If anybody has anything neat to share (I'm still searching for an acceptable quote from the Songs of Fire and Ice books... but not an easy task) please share!

I am not looking for bible quotes though, we have one, and that is all we would like, thank you respectfully. 
(1 Corinthians 13:4 but not the full verse)

Any ideas?

Khajiit Level 4 Adventurer

Strength: 10 Dexterity: 4.7 Stamina: 5.8

Constitution: 9.9 Wisdom: 18.4 Charisma: 8.9

June 3rd - July 14th -  4th 6 Week Challenge

“My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer and I have my mind...and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much Jon Snow”. ”

– Tyrion to Jon Snow

Tyrion has a lot of good ones. I also like the one when he's talking to Jon about wearing what you are as armor so it can never be used to hurt you.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival." - CS Lewis, The Four Loves

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Unknown-You know when you've been married long enough when, your spouse farts in bed and then pull the covers over your head shouting, "DUTCH OVEN!!"

For a more serious approach, "The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost"-G.K. Chesterton

"Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him."-Marilyn Monroe

"Marrying for love may be a bit risky, but it is so honest that God can't help but smile on it."-Josh Billings

I'm looking for more but those are the one's off the top of my head that isn't sappy or fluff. Are you looking for more humor, serious, or heartfelt?

XKCD one I've always liked, not a book exactly but it's still nice.

"You are not the light of my life. Making you happy is not my greatest dream. Your smile is not all I live for. I've got my own stuff going on. But you're strange and fascinating and I've never met anyone like you. I want to give you everything, just do see what you'd do with it."

Athena, some of those are brilliant! I hadn't heard most of them before which is wonderful, fresh ideas! 

I think the Librarian quote is getting in there, we both love The Discworld books (I finished Jingo today, I'm reading them in order, my fiancé introduced them to me)

Getting an XKCD in there as well would be pretty neat.... we need a label for our custom bars of rock, that might be cool as well.

Khajiit Level 4 Adventurer

Strength: 10 Dexterity: 4.7 Stamina: 5.8

Constitution: 9.9 Wisdom: 18.4 Charisma: 8.9

June 3rd - July 14th -  4th 6 Week Challenge

Archived