Forums are back in action! ×

Are there any other websites/forums similar to this one?

ride_uphill

Everyone is a nerd :D It's not limitated to video games, computer, books, movies, series... Looking at your avatar, I'd say you're a horse nerd, am I right ^^ And to answer your question, I know no similar places than here. What's the "nerd" part that you don't get? Maybe I could help.

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

bodybuilding.com has some good stuff- but it's full of bone heads on an equal level and obviously more focused.  I just found trimmedandtoned.com and been digging around there with some happy results. 

Angry trainer fitness has great blogs- but no community.

Bodyrock.tv > now thedailyhiit.com (NSFW- super sexualized) used to have a decent community but now it's all facebook and twitter I think.  This is a great comprehensive overall site- which I really like and appreciate.

Don't worry- I'm not super nerdy either- I'm an engineer but I find myself drifting back to the arts more than not.  plenty of artsiey outdoor folk here too- check the "what's your hands on hobby" thread.  you'll be surprised!

Haha, you pinned it with the horse nerd comment. I've been called that more times than I can remember!  And it's true. :) 

I didn't think there could possibly be anywhere as awesome as here lol, I just don't get some abbreviations and acronyms.  No big deal though, I will probably live.  Thank you for the responses, I'm sort of glad there's no where cooler, because I like this so far!

I just don't get some abbreviations and acronyms.

Don't worry....I don't always get some of the more odd ones myself, and I'm a pretty big geek on many fronts. I can't tell you how many times I've had to google those things before I respond to a thread. Also, some of them may simply be related to this site in particular and just developed over time.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

^

truth

Here's a good example, including the need to place the conversation in context since the first definition I ran into couldn't be right.

A conversation in the comments on one of Seth's statuses on FB with Corey about board games, D&D, etc (stuff I don't know anything about).

The abbreviation used: PBP

OK. Let's find out what this means....google PBP. Ah, an ubandictionary link! That'll be it.....hmmm... "Phantom Ball Pain" :numbness:  What? Go back to comments on FB, "...setup that PBP campaign on the forums..." Doh! Yeah, don't think that's the one....

More googling led me to "Play By Posts" ...Bingo! That makes more sense! :nevreness:

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

lol I gloss over the heavy acronym posts.  some of them I get- some of them I don't or can put enough context clues into - but I"m not a gamer- never have been- and never will be.  So I dont' sweat it.

They wouldn't know what shoulder in half pass right sitting trot to x then 20 meter circle on the left lead was either  :peaceful:

There is such a diversity of nerdery here on the boards there is no way we are all going to get each other's references every time.  I usually ask when I don't get an acronym. Wizard Trip raises a good point, a lot of acronyms have more than one meaning.  ICPC for example means either Interstate Compact on the PLacement of Childre or International Conference of Police Chalpains.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Phantom Ball Pain... wow.... that sounds bad.  Lol!  But yeah, I will probably be doing lots of searching.  It's all good.

If worse comes to worse, you can always just ask too. I often respond to a post, and end it with something like 'Also, what is [insert unknown phrase/acronym/whatever here]?' Thus far I've always gotten an answer. Google doesn't always know all...

Dare mighty things

I'd rather have "Phantom Ball Pain" than legitimate ball pain...

Actually, I think the phrase refers to phantom limb pain, i.e. pain from limbs that have been removed. I'm not sure the phantom ball pain would be better than real pain...

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Holla to the horse nerds!!!  I am a farm girl through and through!  Except I still don't know what "shoulder in half pass right sitting trot to x then 20 meter circle on the left lead" is...must be an English thing....I am a Western rider, well more just jump on and piss around the field to see what kind of trouble I can get myself and my horse into....

I got a pony about a month ago, going to train and sell him.  But he has started shedding and when I ride him bare back his hair sticks to my muck boots so I go around telling everyone I don't have to get expensive boots with fringe because I get my fringe for free!!!  And then they all roll there eyes at me because I am a big dork.

I love to play video games but I don't do it on a regular basis so I don't get all the gaming talk either.  I would really like to get good at playing video games and maybe become a "video game nerd" one day.  There is a good enough mix of different "nerds" here that I will stick around for a long time.

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

yeah I have free fur too- one long haired cat- a dog that sheds 2x a year- and a grey horse... thankfully he is thin skinned and also grows a wussy coat- so it takes about a week to shed him out.

I don't ride much these days- my old man is 20 and going blind- but he's in great shape- its just a pain in the ass to go ride- and there is nothing to do but ride down there and piddle around in a field- which I don't care for- I want to go ride a trail and cover some miles- or do some arena/structure work.  

sigh which is not fair to ask him to do 1 ever 2-3 months. Instead I just don't ride much- I should.  Maybe my goal this year will be ride more- since I have my weekends back. 

and yes- half pass shoulder in etc- it's dressage.   western riders do it too- it's not just an english thing!! :D

Holla to the horse nerds!!!  I am a farm girl through and through!  Except I still don't know what "shoulder in half pass right sitting trot to x then 20 meter circle on the left lead" is...must be an English thing....I am a Western rider, well more just jump on and piss around the field to see what kind of trouble I can get myself and my horse into....

I got a pony about a month ago, going to train and sell him.  But he has started shedding and when I ride him bare back his hair sticks to my muck boots so I go around telling everyone I don't have to get expensive boots with fringe because I get my fringe for free!!!  And then they all roll there eyes at me because I am a big dork.

I love to play video games but I don't do it on a regular basis so I don't get all the gaming talk either.  I would really like to get good at playing video games and maybe become a "video game nerd" one day.  There is a good enough mix of different "nerds" here that I will stick around for a long time.

You are not the "big dork"!  Every equestrian pursuit is inherently noble, which makes the non equestrian scum the dorks by definition!!!

I don't know much about Dressage (although its a pleasure to watch) but doing a canter on a Tennessee Walker is a rare pleasure:)

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

I haven't had the chance to ride a Tennessee Walker yet.  It's mostly Quarter Horses and other Ranch type horses.  Although I go to my dad's place this weekend I am going to jump on his big Percheron mare and take her for a cruise....not sure if I will get her in to a canter or not.  She was used for logging and other pulling jobs most her life until she came to my dads, now she is just a lawn ornament.  I was on her once before but the fastest we got was a slow ambling walk.  

. I am Elder . Woosah . Sunshine . Plants . Fur babies . New book smell . Cinnamon . Pepperoni Pizza .

Big horses can either be VERY fun- or very ungainly. 

I was on a big belgion once who was an obscenely 18+ hands (he was about 1" too short to be the worlds tallest)  even with a 3 foot step ladder I needed a boost.

He ambled- lots of lumbering and ambling.

Walkers are gaited- so the canter is hit or miss- their rack is quiet comfortable though. That's why people ride them.  I personally get bored with gaited horses- they rack or the pace or they do the 4 step thing.

meh.  that's all it is- and it after a while it's like- okay I'm ready for something else. 

The challenge with a Walker is to consistently hit the gait of choice.  Takes a lot of work with the animal to get it down.  Like barrel riding, it's a team effort that improves with regular training.  Never been on a draft breed.  They do seem like the "gentle giant", slow and easy.

Cro Magnon Assassin

"Hold my beer and watch this..."

That's what I thought!   I used to ride colts for an old guy down the road and he had a few teams of draft horses.  He had a team of Belgians (Ben and Toby) which he had for years and years they were his "go-to" team.  They could get anything done and go anywhere in harness and one day I thought..."Well if they can do that and they are such 'Gentle Giants' they should be just fine if I jump on and go for a cruise!  Heck all the little kids sit on their backs when they are hitched to a wagon."  BAAAAAAD idea!!!  I called my friend over to give me a boost up and after she grumbled and protested for a bit I finally had her sold on my idea.  My friend gave me a boost on and Toby boosted me right back off.  Learned my lesson and tore my jeans half off!

Meh, I love the adrenaline rush of it all though...jumping on just to see what a horse will do is a thrill to me!  Sometimes I win, sometimes I don't.

Archived