Forums are back in action! ×

Insert Embarrassing Introduction Title Here

I couldn't think of any introduction title that wasn't painfully embarrassing, so I figured I would just cut to the chase!

Somewhere along the line I found Nerd Fitness and have been reading blog and forum entries ever since - when I need information or inspiration.  I've been lurking for awhile and I think this is the best fitness forum on the internet!  Plus, nerds!  It's like it was made for me!  Everyone is so supportive and helpful.  I love the idea of doing challenges - in fact a personal thirty day challenge is what got me started again after a long sedentary period.  Doing RP challenges is a freaking stroke of genius!   So, thank you Steve!  And everyone else that participates here. 

Anyways, since I joined a gym in February I have made a lot of progress using cardio machines, performing bodyweight exercises, using free weights and some machines.  I recently decided to give lap swimming a try.  I know how to swim - or at least I thought I did.  Turns out my self-taught freestyle is just... terrible!  So I plan to start over and learn the stroke from the beginning.  I'm hoping that the swimmers here can help me out, I'll make a thread for that issue later.  For now, just saying hi!

Edit: here is the swimming thread 

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/topic/28291-my-freestyle-needs-fixing/

Level 3 High Elf Enchanter in Half-Orc Illusion RAWR!

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

Welcome Nerd!

I went to swim practice for 3 years! I haven't swam in a while because I don't have a pool or YMCA remotely close to me anymore. But I still know how to do the strokes and build up stamina and lung strength.

PM me if you have any questions!

So I think I have a game plan now for improving my freestyle, thanks to all the awesome people in the swimming forum. Now I need a better plan for my resistance training. I booked a double session with my personal trainer for tonight to discuss this and come up with a plan. So far she's just been giving me new exercises when we meet which was great when I was just starting since it really encouraged me to try new things and use parts of the gym that I found intimidating. Now that I am more comfortable, I think it's time for a real program. I'm thinking I will swim on Tuesday & Thursday, and Saturday if I am up to it. Yoga class on Sunday mornings. Then either a full body or half body split routine for Monday and Wednesday. Friday's off, or I could swim that day if I wanted to take Saturday instead.

I previously successfully completed a personal challenge to go to the gym every single day for 30 days and I felt great. Actually, I wound up doing 34 days straight. But I think I should plan some rest into my schedule to avoid burnout. I'm also not sure I'm not spreading myself too thin. I want to make sure that I can improve my swimming but I don't want to neglect my resistance training... does my plan sound ok or do I need to tweak it?

Level 3 High Elf Enchanter in Half-Orc Illusion RAWR!

STR 2.5 : DEX 2 : STA 2 : CON 2.5 : WIS 5 : CHA 3.5First Challenge     Second Challenge     Current Challenge

Archived