Forums are back in action! ×

Hello NF Rebels

Here is my story...

When I was younger I never worried about my weight as I was a slender child and we lived in the country so we were always outside running around.  I started smoking at the age of 16 (to impress a boy, ugh).  I had a baby at age 24 and at age 25 decided to quit smoking for my daughter.  I gave up cigarettes and started eating chips!  I am now 14 1/2 yrs smoke free and 70lbs overweight.  I have been wanting to loose this weight for a very long time.  I get started and then something happens to derail me.  Over the Easter Weekend I went to my dad's house for dinner and noticed that he grunts a lot just doing simple things and I decided I don't want to be him.  I want to get in shape.  So, on April 15, 2013, I got off the couch and went for a 4km walk.  It was really hard.  I live in the country and the road is hilly.  There is one hill that I thought for sure I was going to have a heart attack when I finally got to the top of it.  I wanted so badly to just turn around right then and go home.  I had my 15yr old daughter with me and she wouldn't let me turn around.  We walked all the way to the stop sign, 2km from my house, and turned around and headed home.  Then we did it again the next night, and the next and the next and yesterday marked the start of our 4th week of walking 4km.  That hill that I thought was going to kill me is actually getting easier and easier to climb.  We have been Paleo about 80% (well I've been about 95%, but Brooke was finding it hard to give up some stuff) for the last 3 weeks and as of yesterday we are doing the 100% Paleo for 30 days. 

I found Nerd Fitness when I googled "Paleo Diet" and am so happy it was the first link I clicked on.  The blog is funny and really makes me feel like I can do this.  So thanks for that.  I also have kind of a crappy support system, other than my daughter, so I'm looking forward to having other people to talk to about this.

Welcome to Nerd Fitness!

Congrats on stopping smoking! I'm trying to convince my dad to stop smoking (sometimes a pack a day), do you have any advice when he does decide to quit?

That will be quite an achievement, 100% Paleo for 30 days! With your daughter to help you and the rest of the Rebellion behind you 100% you can do it! I to have a crappy support system and if it hadn't been for the friends I made on NF, I wouldn't have dropped a size.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Hi LostOne1775,

Thanks!  And as for advice, not really.  I just knew I wanted to quit for my daughter so I went and talked to my dr.  He prescribed some Zyban (don't even know if that is an option anymore).  I was suppose to take it for 60days but only managed to do 30 as it made me sick.  But here we are 14 yrs later and still no smoking.  I think you just really need to want to do it.  Just like this whole getting in shape and losing weight thing.

Hi, Nicole!

I'm new here, too, and have also been walking more since I found NF. Of course, it doesn't take much to walk more than I used to... <_<  Today I just started to get that "wow, I'm not dying from exertion!" feeling--pretty nice!

Congrats on quitting smoking!  14 years smoke free is really impressive!!

Level 4 Twi'lek Adventurer

STR: 3 | DEX: 4 | STA: 7 | CON: 10 | WIS: 10 | CHA: 5.5

Current Challenge

Do not betray your fellow bats.  FOTB!

Archived