Forums are back in action! ×

A better N8 is on the way

Hi all!

I am going to state this simply, I am in rough shape.  I am 5'11"(and a half) and I will turn 38 in a few months; and as of this morning weighed in at 252.5 lbs - officially the heaviest I have ever been.  This is up from the still overly heavy 209 lbs that I weighed during the Summer of 2010.  I have tried so many times to begin getting in shape (diets, running, Aikido, etc...) but I always end up presented with some excuse to revert to my old ways. 

That. Is. Over.

I want to be able to take the stairs without feeling like I am going to have a heart attack. I want to be able to wear a t-shirt without thinking that I look like a sack full of oranges.  I want to beat the heart disease that runs in my family. I want to be healthy.

That journey to health started Monday when my wife and I started the C25K program.  I also started the Beginners Body Weight Workout today.  My plan is to go on runs Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and do body weight training Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday with Sunday (a busy day for my family and I) "off".  I am also slowly working toward what is at least a Paleo-esque diet, as it seems the most managable and "do-able" thing that I have seen.

Here's to making it stick this time!

N8

N8 - The biggest Hobbit of them all, who is currently a Level 0 Wannabe Ranger

STR~0  DEX~0  STA~0  CON~0  WIS~0  CHA~0

Challenging myself and the world around me here

My Accountabilibuddies - District 12

On a walk to Mordor

"I am a once immoveable object on its way to becoming an unstoppable force"

-Me

If this can motivate you in any way possible, I was at 242, I'm 5'11'. I'm now at 182 after a year and a half. Diet is 80% of the battle, remember that.

Best of luck on your journey!

It's not 80% diet, 20% exercise, it's 100% diet, 100% exercise. Give it your all.

My journey (Date - Total - BF % - LBM)

2012-01-01 - 242 - 35% - 157

2013-12-15 - 172 - 10% - 155

2016-05-01 - 231 - 25% - 173

Thank you for your background!  That is indeed an encouragement to me, it seems like a lot of people that I know "want to get in better shape" it is nice to hear from someone who is getting it done!

On a walk to Mordor

-Me

Welcome to NF! And OMG GOJIRA!!

I'm 5'8" and last time I weighed myself I was 230lb. I used to be a size 16 and ever since I finished the last two challenges it's now 14! StephaneLandry is right, losing weight is 80% diet. Glad to see your wife is joining you, it's nice to have someone along side you when making big life changes.

Paleo Diet will get you there. Everyone "I" have personally seen go on it has had some pretty miraculous transformations - including myself.

http://nerdfitnessrebellion.com/index.php?/gallery/album/431-60-days-of-paleo/

Read these articles, get the advice you're searching for, and... above all... take action and stay dedicated.

The Force is with you. =P

Wow Jetikus, the examples that I am seeing on here (yours included) are definately a big reason that I am going to give this dietary system a (legitimate long term) try.  Thanks so much for your encouragement!  Also thanks for the Goji shoutout LostOne1775!  I aim to for there to be a much fitter me in line for the midnight showing of the Legendary Pictures movie that comes out next year :-)

On a walk to Mordor

-Me

I am doing a very similar workout/diet.

Be careful doing too much, too quickly! Injuries are bound to happen if you're going from being pretty sedentary to very active. Listen to your body -- it's better to skip one workout because you're feeling too sore than to push it, hurt yourself, and be out for a week or two (I have done both)!

I started in October 2012, and I did Power 90, P90X, and C25K. I am now doing two 5 mile runs a week plus 3 days of beginner's bodyweight brigade. So, that's less than you are trying to do, and I took 8 months working up to this.

No rush. Ease into things. And good luck!

If you want a workout partner, let me know!

Yeah I have overdone it in the past, and always quit because of it.  I intend on progressing through C25K slowly (doing week one for several week for example) and working the beginners bodyweight thing incrementaly as well.  My thought and practice thus far is:

First week = 1 set

Second week = 2 sets if I can, 1 if I can't

etc...

I fear that up until now I have been an all or nothing type and it has done naught but hurt me.  It is going to be slow and steady that wins this race, and I would be grateful for any and all help!

On a walk to Mordor

-Me

Welcome aboard 'A better N8', and congratulations on your dedication.

I fear that up until now I have been an all or nothing type and it has done naught but hurt me.  It is going to be slow and steady that wins this race, and I would be grateful for any and all help!

This is the perfect attitude to have. Slow & steady also equals consistent results. Once you have legitimately convinced yourself that you want to lead a healthy lifestyle, you'll fall right into place. It's not a miracle that takes place; it's determination & willpower that will transform you!

Good luck!

Blazedge

Lv.2 MONK <Str: 4, Dex-5, Sta-4, Con-3, Wis-6, Cha-4>

Knowing is not enough, you must apply......

......Willing is not enough you must do -  Bruce Lee

Archived