Forums are back in action! ×

Doctor said "Do you even enjoy your food?"

I went to speak to a doctor the other day about a health condition. I've been having trouble taking a full breath, yet have no health problems and lead a very healthy lifestyle, so I tried to go over any details that could possibly be related to that. That includes food intake - acid reflux is known to cause trouble breathing(though I don't have any of the other symptoms).

Anyway, to get to the point - I track my macros every day, so I was able to answer his questions and give details regarding nutrition very precisely, as you might imagine. That was when he looked at me and said, "Do you even enjoy your food?"

"...of course! I enjoy every single one of my meals" - I was dumbfounded by his question, and that was the only thing that came to mind - because that's the truth. 

"Really? Because I don't think you do. You're like a robot with these calculations. I don't know a single person who does that. When was the last time you just ate anything without thinking about that stuff?"

"Last weekend at a Sushi buffet...You've got this all wrong, I absolutely love food. I love cooking nice meals, trying new recipes..."

At that point he just dropped the subject, and as did I, since I was anxious to continue the discussion of the actual problem at hand.

But thinking back, I think I should have argued with him more. It seems like he was completely unconvinced, and it's a really bad feeling to be wrongly accused and have done nothing about it. Fact of the matter is, I really do love food - both the occasional cheat meals, and every one of my every day meals too. I actually enjoy tracking my macros every day - I love the control it gives me, and the discipline has so many positive effects in my life. And if I "just ate whatever" like a "normal" person, I certainly wouldn't be in the shape that I'm in. I wish I had told him all THAT, and I'm embarrassed to have just let it slide. 

So, that's the story. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. 

You know, my BF's mother doctor freaked out when she told him that we were eating bacon and eggs for breakfast on weekends. "WHAAAAAAAAAAT, SO MUCH GREASE!!!!!!!! AND CHOLESTEROL!!!"

Yeah right... It's such a bad diet that my BF is the leanest in his family (mother obese trying to lose some weight, brother slowly putting some weight on) and the most sportive too. (We go bouldering three times a week), so.. some doctors are just stuck in their belief. If you like being in control (and I know I do too, even if not on macro level) and that it doesn't impend on your life, where is the problem? IMO your doctor was just being human at that moment, a human surprised by your nerd skills, and not the professional he was expected to be. So, don't let it bother you too much :)

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

I went to speak to a doctor the other day about a health condition. I've been having trouble taking a full breath, yet have no health problems and lead a very healthy lifestyle, so I tried to go over any details that could possibly be related to that. That includes food intake - acid reflux is known to cause trouble breathing(though I don't have any of the other symptoms).

Anyway, to get to the point - I track my macros every day, so I was able to answer his questions and give details regarding nutrition very precisely, as you might imagine. That was when he looked at me and said, "Do you even enjoy your food?"

"...of course! I enjoy every single one of my meals" - I was dumbfounded by his question, and that was the only thing that came to mind - because that's the truth. 

"Really? Because I don't think you do. You're like a robot with these calculations. I don't know a single person who does that. When was the last time you just ate anything without thinking about that stuff?"

"Last weekend at a Sushi buffet...You've got this all wrong, I absolutely love food. I love cooking nice meals, trying new recipes..."

At that point he just dropped the subject, and as did I, since I was anxious to continue the discussion of the actual problem at hand.

But thinking back, I think I should have argued with him more. It seems like he was completely unconvinced, and it's a really bad feeling to be wrongly accused and have done nothing about it. Fact of the matter is, I really do love food - both the occasional cheat meals, and every one of my every day meals too. I actually enjoy tracking my macros every day - I love the control it gives me, and the discipline has so many positive effects in my life. And if I "just ate whatever" like a "normal" person, I certainly wouldn't be in the shape that I'm in. I wish I had told him all THAT, and I'm embarrassed to have just let it slide. 

So, that's the story. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. 

He's probably just got lousy bedside manner.

If it helps at all - I'm back tracking all my macros and I eat very carefully pretty much every day and I was publicly ripped on fb yesterday for not enjoying food, eating all the food, and living life.  *sigh*

I really enjoy my food. The fact that it's not crap seems to bother people.  What's wrong with really enjoying tasty food? 

You are good and fine and strong.  Does Dr suspect an ED?  or is he just lame?  ;-)

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

He's probably just got lousy bedside manner.

If it helps at all - I'm back tracking all my macros and I eat very carefully pretty much every day and I was publicly ripped on fb yesterday for not enjoying food, eating all the food, and living life.  *sigh*

I really enjoy my food. The fact that it's not crap seems to bother people.  What's wrong with really enjoying tasty food? 

You are good and fine and strong.  Does Dr suspect an ED?  or is he just lame?  ;-)

I'm assuming you meant eating disorder, but for a moment my brain was like "what does this have to do with erectile disfunction???" O.o

I think he was implying I may have an eating disorder, which is ridiculous.

The thing is, I'm not at all concerned about my eating habits and lifestyle - in fact I'm very proud of it. I'm certainly not ashamed of tracking macros, so I hope I didn't imply I'm even considering the possibility that he had a point. He didn't. I just feel like I let him talk about it negatively about my choices and didn't do a thing about it. 

I must admit, part of me was worried that if I tried to stand up for it, he'd say "Oh yeah? Then why are you here with a health problem?"...and I wouldn't be able to think of a good response fast enough. It'd be just like being bullied in middle school all over again o.O

Weirdly enough, doctors are people, too. I've had to remind myself of this many, many times when doctors have said off-putting things to me before. It appears you just have one who couldn't help himself and blurted out the first thing on his mind.

It sucks that doctors don't have to work customer service jobs before becoming doctors, because I feel like that's a big part of it. They sucked at the time, but I'm genuinely thankful for all the time I've spent in various sectors of the service industry. I wouldn't be good at staying on my toes despite what people throw at me if I hadn't.

I've had similar comments from people, though no medical professionals, regarding my calorie counting.

As if examining, focusing, and carefully considering your food decreases your enjoyment of it...

Rather actually being mindful of your food, actually thinking about it, increases the experience.

Before I started logging my food, I would forget what I ate for lunch by dinner. If it wasn't leaving any kind of impression, could I really have enjoyed it that much?

"By trying to please everyone he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain." - Aesop 2,500 years ago.
Level 4 Half Ogre Ranger
STR 6|DEX 4|STA 13|CON 11|WIS 5|CHA 8
Zombies, Run! Profile

My GP is awesome. He hands out his famous "No White" diet to everyone who walks into his office. Basically Primal. My neurologist just likes writing scripts. He listens and nods, and tells me to keep doing what works, but he's dismissive of food as medicine.

Guess what my GP looks like? Fit, slender, healthy. Guess what my neuro looks like? Clinically obese. Guess who I am going to listen to?

• Like 1

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

My doctor told me to search the internet, find a diet that appealed, and try that. His only caution was that keto diets tend to exacerbate migraines, and to be careful of that. 

• Like 1

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

My doctor told me to search the internet, find a diet that appealed, and try that. His only caution was that keto diets tend to exacerbate migraines, and to be careful of that.

Low carb has always HELPED with my migraines. Only two I have had since starting Paleo were the days I had bananas. Johns Hopkins has been using ketogenic diets to treat seizure disorders for 100 years. Considering that they use anticonvulsants to try to prevent migraines, made sense to me. Next neuro visit, I am going to ask about weaning off the topomax.

Hmm. Going to do some research. Because I am a nerd like that.

Level 2 Halfling Adventurer

Strength 1 Dexterity 1 Stamina 3 Constitution 4 Wisdom 3 Charisma 2

Current Challenge Thread

First Challenge Thread

Fit to Eat: my posts on the Sweatpants & Coffee Site

"I don't calculate this stuff my [phone/laptop/ website] does."

Dieticians ask for food diaries all the time. What's wrong with using one that gives you nifty numbers on top of it?

Level 2 Wood Elf Druid Str 5| Dex 7 |Sta 3| Con 5.5| Wis 11.5 | Cha 3.5 

I enjoy food far more now than I did before I started tracking.

It forced me to become a better cook and explore new recipes and possibilities. This makes a huge difference. I prefer my cooking to restaurants most of the time.

I tend to be more mindful of treats, and as such really enjoy them. Mindless eating is not enjoyable eating.

It also got me thinking about what I do and don't really like about food. Components that I'm not that into are easy sources of calories to be ditched, which in turn increases the density of enjoyment of each calorie consumed.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Low carb has always HELPED with my migraines. Only two I have had since starting Paleo were the days I had bananas. Johns Hopkins has been using ketogenic diets to treat seizure disorders for 100 years. Considering that they use anticonvulsants to try to prevent migraines, made sense to me. Next neuro visit, I am going to ask about weaning off the topomax.

Hmm. Going to do some research. Because I am a nerd like that.

Yeah, for me it proved to be true... if I go below around 150 carbs a day, I am incapable of getting out of bed the next day... each person is different =)

"I was taught that the way of progress was neither swift nor easy." ~~Marie Curie

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honour, Duty, Mercy, Hope. " ~~ Winston Churchill 

Level 1 Human Druid STR 1 DEX 1 STA 1 CON 2 WIS 3 CHA 2  (yes, human. Boring I know.)

Can I ask how you track your macros in the first place? I assume there's a world of apps out there, any advice? I've never tried tracking anything before but I'm strength training and doing a food diary. I'm worried I'm not getting enough calories and/or protein.

Sorry, totally off topic

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

MyFitnessPal

It seems to be the main tracker that people around here use, and it is rather customizable.

Can I ask how you track your macros in the first place? I assume there's a world of apps out there, any advice? I've never tried tracking anything before but I'm strength training and doing a food diary. I'm worried I'm not getting enough calories and/or protein.

Sorry, totally off topic

Not off topic at all. I use fitday. Other common ones are myfitnesspal, myplate at livestrong.com, and a few others. I can vouch for fitday being decent, and myfitnesspal mobile app is very well rated(and free) if you want something with a good mobile app. 

LoseIt! Does this as well.

I also use LoseIt, the only thing that can be bad about that one is it tends to overestimate calories burned through exercise, so I just don't put in my exercise anymore. It just seemed to make sense.

I haven't had anyone ask me yet if I even enjoy my food, but I have had people get mad at me for whipping out my iPhone to record my meal right after finishing, or pulling out my phone to mark down the snack at a party or what have you. It kind of makes you want to ask if they care about you getting healthy, you know? I mean, I don't want to be the stereotypical fat friend forever.

Level 2 Dwarven Noob, Bluff Conqueror

STR: 3 DEX: 0 STA: 4 CON: 4 WIS: 0 CHA: 2

Challenge thread! | Battle log!

Yeah I'll agree with you on their exercise estimations, but since I don't eat back exercise calories I stopped bothering to log them there...

Another +1 for me on this.

Honestly, I felt like when I logged my exercise hours they were always high, and for some reason I would eat back the calories, plus some. (Likely rationalizing that I had just worked out and it was "only once...this week"). So I stopped logging the exercise and poof! No more going over my caloric limit now. Amazing how the mind works....

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School