Forums are back in action! ×

Signing in from Scotland

I've jumped straight into the challenge without introducing myself, which is slightly rude of me, so here we go....

I'm Caroline (or Caro or Caz, I'll answer to any of them) and I live on a small croft slap bang in the middle of the very beautiful north coast of Scotland.  My party consists of me (38, self-employed bead seller....OK, who muttered 'CMOT Dibbler' there??), my husband (46, engineer and some sort of cross between a gnome and a Nac Mac Feegle), my Faithful Hound (Jura, a 2-y-o working cocker spaniel), my Noble Steed (Merlin, a 20-y-o Hungarian native horse) and my Pack Pony (he'll kill me for calling him that!  Finn, a 14-y-o Welsh Section D pony).

Main Quest?  To get stronger, leaner and fitter.  It's kind of tricky to set an ultimate end goal at the moment because I don't know what my body is capable of, but to start with I'll settle for being able to lift a 25kg bag of feed and fitting comfortably back into my size 10 jeans (I think that's a 6 in American sizing?).  I'm not overweight for my height, but lots of bits of me wobble that shouldn't.

Fitness-wise I used to run a lot - I did a half marathon a couple of years ago - but my knees started warning me that it was them or running, so I've had to stop.  Neither of the horses are rideable at the moment, although looking after them gets me outside and moving for 90 minutes to two hours a day.  I've never really thought about strength training, but what brought me to Nerd Fitness in the first place was a friend sending me a link to Staci's story, and if that's what it can do, I'm definitely investigating further!

• Like 1

Level 1 Halfling Ranger

STR: 1 DEX: 1 STA: 2 CON: 2 WIS: 2 CHA: 2

Challenges: Current challenge, Level 1, Battle log

Pushing the boundaries of life a little further every day...

What up?!

It's so nice to meet you! I just had to click on your post here when I read that your from Scotland, I'm in California but it's been my dream to backpack through the Highlands of Scotland.

And your a Discworld fan?! EEEEEEEEE! That's so cool, I started reading the series after seeing the Hogfather film on Sky1. My favorite character now is Death. Who wouldn't love that face?

death-in-Terry-Pratchetts-the-colour-of-

Will be subbing your challenge! If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

And welcome to NF.

• Like 1

Thank you both :)

LostOne - that's definitely an expedition for summer time, but stock up on the midge repellant!  Yup, loved the Discworld since I discovered it about 20 years ago.  I haven't read the latest one yet, it's not getting such good reviews which is a shame.

Level 1 Halfling Ranger

Another welcome from California,

I live in the far northern coastal regions of California where it is cool, green and mountainous, sound familiar? Welcome to the community. I bet you could find some ways to incorporate your horse activities with fitness activities. You would be amazed the way strength and weight exercises rebuild joints and reinforce the ligaments and such. I invite you to explore the wonderful information that this site has to offer and I am very happy you are aboard. Good luck with the challenge.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Sounds very familiar Hawgsquatch :)  Bet you don't have the vicious killer midges though ;)

I tried the beginners' bodyweight workout for the first time today and discovered very quickly which muscles the horsey activities have been working and which they haven't!

Level 1 Halfling Ranger

Welcome welcome! Don't worry about the wobbly bits, they get better ;)

Hooray for Discworld references! Sadly I always found myself most like Rincewind. Sigh.

Anyway, I like the goals you have, and I wish you the best of luck :)