Forums are back in action! ×

Westward: Steampunk Western Role-playing Game

image-304181-full.jpg?1375746998

I have spent the last couple evenings reading through the newly-received hard-copy of the rulebook for the "Westward" steampunk Western role-playing game that I had backed on Kickstarter

It has a lot of interesting ideas, and the rule-set seems pretty easy for newcomers to pick up. 

If you are at all interested, the price is right.  The basic rule-book is "pay what you want" to get a PDF to read-through to check it out.

The company's webpage says you can start playing with 30 minutes of preparation.  I don't think as a game-master I would ever be ready to run any game in a half-hour, so take that with a grain of salt? 

image-304184-full.jpg?1375747241

Current Challenge: (Feb-Mar 21) Step by Step

My Epic Quest Character Sheet  *** Old Challenges and Links hidden below

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Guest Dirty Deads

I've always wanted to play such games, but it's tough finding a group that welcomes green folk. Maybe I can get started with this.  My neighbors are big gamers, so maybe I can get them in on it too. Plus, I love steampunk.

I've always wanted to play such games, but it's tough finding a group that welcomes green folk. Maybe I can get started with this.  My neighbors are big gamers, so maybe I can get them in on it too. Plus, I love steampunk.

If you are interested and think that there is a group for it, then I think it is a great idea to look into it and see if you want to run a game.

My limiting factor is scheduling our group to get together -- we are on about a once-per-month schedule right now. :(  I can't start other games if we can't get through this first campaign.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2012) 1st (Scout) 2nd (Scout) *** (2013) 3rd (Warrior) 4th (Warrior) 5th (Warrior) 6th (Assassin) ***

(2014) 7th (Ranger) 8th (Scout) 9th (Monk) 10th (Scout) *** (2015) 11th (Ranger) 12th (Ranger) 13th (Ranger) 14th (Ranger) 15th (Scout) 16th (Scout) *** (2016) 17th (Ranger) 18th (Scout) 19th (Scout) 20th (Rebel)

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Past groups: The Wild Hunt 6 *** The Serenity Crew *** The Wild Hunt 5 *** The Wild Hunt 4 *** The Wild Hunt 3 *** The Wild Hunt 2 *** The Wild Hunt 1 *** Browncoats

Achievements: (20 Sep 2014) Completed first half marathon *** (17 Feb 2014) Finished mission to bring body fat from over 25% to under 12% over six months (trying to repeat that now)

Such a pity I live in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by people who are either 60+ or wear their pants at their knees, and the few people I do know who play tabletop online are on almost completely opposite schedules to me.  I live and breathe steampunk.

Maybe you can find an online community where you can have these games over Skype?

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I tried that one in the past, no real luck with it.  It's no major big, there's always 101 other things to keep me busy.  Sometimes I think I just might do too much.

That's too bad, I wouldn't mind playing something like that online, I even downloaded "Chess Time" App so I can play other people.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Maybe you can find an online community where you can have these games over Skype?

This would be great idea.  Is there a gaming community that organizes group Skype gaming events?

I could game more, like today would be great for me but half of our players are busy.  And last week the other half were busy. :(

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

Try Roll20.net Decent virtual tabletop with video chat.

Thanks.  I will look into it.

MIxed armor group

Got to get a party together.

Spoiler

My Old Battle Log

(2021) 21st (Adventurer)

You can always play by post. We've got 2 D&D games going on on the off topic boards. It's slower and has more of a focus on the writing, but is defeinitely fun.

Back in the day we used to play in chat rooms with dice generators, and it was always fun. Like I said above, there is more focus on writing and painting a picture for both the DM and the characters, and it gives a totally different experience.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf