Forums are back in action! ×

The Job Thread.

I'm a full-time volunteer in the Corporate Work Study Program office at a Cristo Rey high school. I should be looking for paid work for after my year of service, but somehow I keep ending up offering to create websites for people free of charge...

• Like 2

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

I'm a design engineer (Civil by training, Mechanical by practice). Currently working on a waste-to-energy project for the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation. 

Formerly, I worked for a couple of different cities doing basic civil eng work.My favorite job thus far has been deckhanding on a passenger ferry in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. Best summer job ever! 

I'm dreaming of teaching english around the world for a few years, and eventually doing international engineering/business consulting... When I finally become fluent in German and at least one other language!

• Like 4

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I am currently a legal assistant and court reporter for military courts martial. But, I'll be happily unemployed next month! :playful:...

Probably not so happily the month after that. Back to school though for computer science. Still, I think it'd be a good idea to make a resume...

• Like 2

so i figured i would post quickly while i still have a job...

After studying sound engineering and java programming after i finished school i ended up selling home cinema rooms and high end sound systems and fancy projectors etc for the last 4 and a half years oh and we also do home automation for the rich and lazy :P oh and the home automation software we work with, i am one of only 3 qualified female programmers in South Africa that can program the stuff so thats pretty cool. Very cool job and i get to make a lot of noise and play with cool stuff.

But

Thats only for the next 6 weeks and then i am jobless as we are re-locating... but at least my boss is calling around to try get me into one of our suppliers :)

I'll be happily unemployed next month! :playful:...

Probably not so happily the month after that. Back to school though for computer science. Still, I think it'd be a good idea to make a resume...

... i am one of only 3 qualified female programmers in South Africa that can program the stuff so thats pretty cool. Very cool job and i get to make a lot of noise and play with cool stuff.But

Thats only for the next 6 weeks and then i am jobless as we are re-locating... but at least my boss is calling around to try get me into one of our suppliers :)

You people with plans to move on to something new, I envy your imminent unemployment! Especially when it's for school or a new location!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

Load out leading hand at the local abattoir. I basically drive a forklift in a dirty big freezer. It's cold and miserable but I like it. Granted I've only been here a week so it's probably just new job joy but at least I have a fair bit of freedom to do what needs to be done unlike my last job.

KC-135 Crew Chief with the USAF. Formerly a C-40 Crew Chief with the USAFR. Formerly a shoe department associate at Kohl's. Formerly....this would take way too long to go through all my former jobs.

My first job ever when I was 17 was Paintball Referee and it started my obsession with the sport that led to me meeting my husband and marrying him at the paintball field where we met.

• Like 6

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

KC-135 Crew Chief with the USAF. Formerly a C-40 Crew Chief with the USAFR. Formerly a shoe department associate at Kohl's. Formerly....this would take way too long to go through all my former jobs.

My first job ever when I was 17 was Paintball Referee and it started my obsession with the sport that led to me meeting my husband and marrying him at the paintball field where we met.

Girl, there is not a single bit of that, that isn't awesome. :D
  • Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Girl, there is not a single bit of that, that isn't awesome. :D

Ikr. Shoe dept. at Kohls...

...swoon ;-)

• Like 1

The past is only smoke in a dream.

Lvl 6 Ranger Berzerker

STR 9 DEX 4 STA 9 CON 8 WIS 2 CHA 8

Barfly ain't even tryin'...

Subthread: crappy former jobs?

I'll start. Graveyard shift at a ghetto convenience store. Held up at gunpoint. Twice.

You win.

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Current job:  US Air Force Logistics Officer/ Supply Flight Commander

Former jobs, in order from most recent to when I was 12:  

Ops employee for shady t-mobile dealer company  -  this was my only crappy former job.  Still great friends with someone I met there, so it wasn't all bad.

Firefighter/EMT

Electrician

Army Counterintelligence Agent/Arabic linguist

Construction Worker

Lumberyard Worker

Newspaper boy

• Like 1

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

First Challenge:  24 Feb - 6 April 2014

Second Challenge (Monks) :  14 April - 25 May 2014

Former job:

Outsource vendor trainer.

I was informed by one of my trainees that there was a woman in the restroom with no pants on. Turns out she was a student in another trainer's class and had defecated herself in protest of a test. She was in the process of washing out her pants in the bathroom sink.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Wufkar Stops Making Excuses

------------------------------------------------------

Since we're doing former jobs now, I guess I can submit my list. In order from oldest to newest

Dishwasher at a resturaunt

Bagger at a grocery store

USMC

Sales floor at ToysRUs (BEST JOB EVAR!) I got to "demo" the toys... aka ride a razor around the store.

Usher/cashier/projectionist at a theater (Projection was fun)

cashier at a gas station

Lot Porter for a car dealership

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Current job:  US Air Force Logistics Officer/ Supply Flight Commander

Former jobs, in order from most recent to when I was 12:  

Ops employee for shady t-mobile dealer company  -  this was my only crappy former job.  Still great friends with someone I met there, so it wasn't all bad.

Firefighter/EMT

Electrician

Army Counterintelligence Agent/Arabic linguist

Construction Worker

Lumberyard Worker

Newspaper boy

I wish I knew Arabic! It would have come in really handy on this deployment. I downloaded 4 different apps and worked on it any time I was about to go off base, but the only time I got someone to respond to something I said, it was a word I learned from an Indian man. Go fig. I guess the dialect could have been the issue, if I was hearing one way of saying something or pronouncing something on the app and that's not how it's spoken here. Also, most of the workers are not from arabic-speaking places.

Spoiler

I wish I knew Arabic! It would have come in really handy on this deployment. I downloaded 4 different apps and worked on it any time I was about to go off base, but the only time I got someone to respond to something I said, it was a word I learned from an Indian man. Go fig. I guess the dialect could have been the issue, if I was hearing one way of saying something or pronouncing something on the app and that's not how it's spoken here. Also, most of the workers are not from arabic-speaking places.

I used it a lot during my deployments, but we also had local translators.  It helped me to verify if our translators were doing their job right.  Sometimes they would change what we said, depending on their own opinion of the subject, but that wasn't their job.  I also met my wife at language school, Defense Language Institute (aka Defense Love Institute).  She was in the AF.  Seeing how they treat their Airmen is why I joined the AF instead of the Army after college.  We used to use Arabic when we were out and didn't want people to know what we were saying.

I've forgotten a lot of it, but I'm trying to get the AF to teach me a different language. 

"Inside of me there are two dogs. One of the dogs is mean and evil. The other dog is good. The mean dog fights the good dog, all of the time."  When asked which dog wins, he reflected for a moment and replied "The one I feed the most."

Driftwood's Battle Log

I was too chicken to take the DLAB. There was a woman in my flight who speaks 3 languages and she failed it. We only had 2 linguists. Tech school is 2 years!! Still...I love languages. I'd love to be a polyglot.

Spoiler

I was too chicken to take the DLAB. There was a woman in my flight who speaks 3 languages and she failed it. We only had 2 linguists. Tech school is 2 years!! Still...I love languages. I'd love to be a polyglot.

Scared to take the DLAB?  Its the only fun test I've taken in my life!  The whole thing is a made-up language.  The picture part of the test is the best.  They'll show a picture of a man, and then show you the made up word for the guy, then a picture of an duck, and the made up word for the duck, then show you a picture of a man with a duck head, and you have to pick the made up word that best describes the picture. 

Also, there's no consequences if you fail it.

And yes, 2 years in tech school sucks ass and is a horrible policy.  When I went it was after a tour in Korea so I wasn't a tech school student, which meant I had total freedom and no DIs or other overbearing babysitters.  My wife, however, was a tech school student and it wasn't as fun for her.

• Like 1

Driftwood's Battle Log

I'll be eligible to cross-train in 3 more years! Maybe if the job is in demand it'll be something to look at. I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be, though...not sure what it is about it. Maybe not enough civilian opportunities on the outside?

Spoiler

I'll be eligible to cross-train in 3 more years! Maybe if the job is in demand it'll be something to look at. I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be, though...not sure what it is about it. Maybe not enough civilian opportunities on the outside?

Arabic linguists had good job opportunities, esp if the person was willing to travel.  I think most people wouldn't enjoy the AF linguist job, because it's basically working in a building with no windows with headphones on all day.  My wife said it killed her soul. 

I'm not sure if there's any enlisted AF linguist jobs that involve talking to people.

We hijacked this thread, hopefully someone will get it back on track ;-)

Driftwood's Battle Log

Lol I will be that person

Former jobs:

Sales Rep at Verizon Wireless - held at gunpoint once and knifepoint (?) another time

In Store Tech at Verizon Wireless - nothing better than being talked down to by a spoiled 12 year old. Lol gimme the robbers anyday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In Store Tech at Verizon Wireless - nothing better than being talked down to by a spoiled 12 year old. Lol gimme the robbers anyday.

Why I got out of the service industry... I've got patience for a lot of things, stupidity isn't one of them.

• Like 3

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)